Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Citroen Xantia - am I mad?

• 13-03-2011 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭

Recently I've been looking at getting a bigger car, but on a bangernomics budget - around 2 grand or less
    I went to see a Xantia yesterday at a dealer, a '97 1.8 16V with about 94k miles on the clock (there's enough evidence to believe it's genuine). The interior was in great condition, the body wasn't too bad either (no rust), but the thing that really surprised me was the suspension - the ride was so much smoother than anything else I have driven (I had been looking at Accords, Primeras and Mazda 626s up until now), even on bogger Co. Cork roads, and yet it didn't handle like a barge either. The suspension controls seemed to work fine.

Would I be crazy to go for this? He's asking for €1650 which is a lot for such an old car but I'm sure I could haggle, and there's a few things wrong with it but the dealer will sort it out - one of the mechanics there seemed to know his stuff about Citroens which is promising.

There's also the benefit that he said he'd take my Fiesta ('98 1.3) for €250 - I was dreading having to sell this privately as the engine is misfiring when idling so needs work, and the only place I have to keep it off the road is up in Limerick which would make selling it difficult.

So basically -
    Pros:
    • Ride, handling and comfort (main things I was looking for in a car)
    • Condition, suspension seems to be working ok
    • Might get some sort of warranty with it
    • Get rid of old car easily
    • Doesn't look pig ugly like the '99-'02 Primeras I've been considering

Cons:
    • It's French (will it be stereotypical?)
    • Older than my current car!
    • Pre-facelift model
    • Price
    • Seats are quite soft - not sure what that'll be like on long journeys (anyone have experience?)
    • Timing belt - was apparently done at 50k, not sure what recommended intervals are, but for all I know it was last done 8-10 years ago which I wouldn't be comfortable with (Anyone know cost of getting this done?)
    • Few things wrong with it - sunroof and temp. gauge not working, code needed for radio (but all would be fixed by dealer)
    • Not a diesel, but I can't find any in the country without intergalactic mileages

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I don't thunk you are mad. For small money, you cant expect car to be perfect. 1.6k looks a bit expencive thought.

I am parking up skyline this month. So I bought a ford Mondeo glx. 98 1.6, air con all electrics. Very clean car. How much? 500 eu... Bushings, valve gasket, full service - 120eu including parts and work. Happy motoring.

Those are really not bad, I would worry going down with years. It's Ireland, you can find a 04 car to be destroyed and 94 car which will be spotless.

As for xantia it self. It's great yoke too, don't be pushed away by French name unless it's 206 pug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

If you are going down the bangeromics route you will do a lot better than a Xantia. Thats way overpriced anyway I bought a 99 diesel one for 2k in 2004 of a dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭fptosca

It's a good car. Without being a fan of Citroen, I have to recognise that they have an excellent car line up, specially at present. C1, C2, C3, C4, C5 the DBS... all great on their category. It's a better brand that people give it credit for.
    It sounds a bit expensive but 94k miles is low. Offer the dealer €1,100 plus your old Fiesta. You'll need to change the Timer Belt pretty soon (around 100k miles) and prepare to nearly double the amount of petrol you spend on the Fiesta.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

It sounded like he had the car a while so is finding it tough trying to shift it, hopefully he'll be flexible with the price for that reason :)

Regarding fuel - with the way my Fiesta is running I'm currently getting about 33 MPG average, should be able to get about the same with the Xantia but with nearly twice the power :)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭fptosca

Regarding fuel - with the way my Fiesta is running I'm currently getting about 33 MPG average, should be able to get about the same with the Xantia but with nearly twice the power :)

I wouldn't think so to be honest. More power/bigger engine = more petrol consumption. Also, it's a much heavier car. I wouldn't expect it to do even close to 33 MPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

I had a 97 xantia, 1.6 petrol, it was one of the most trouble free cars ive owned. Handled very well on country roads, good on fuel, temp gauge always sat at half way but never went above that.
    The only thing I ever complained about was the lack of leg room im over 6ft and found long journeys uncomfortable.
    Would I buy another xantia, yes if I found one as clean as the one I had.
    I sold mine and bought an omega because I wanted more leg room.

Only mad thing your doing IMO is paying that sort of money for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Zantias dont have a lot of buyers. Many are afraid of suspension etc. I had one ,they are very comfortable and I found mine pretty reliable. Difficult to work on and most mechanics hate them. If that one is good its probably worth about half what he's asking. Hard to resell , so make sure its a good one and best of luck:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1949057

^Looks like a much better deal than the one your talking about.

Nct is nearly up but for 750 spuds its a bit of a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

The timing belt can be accessed by removing a few engine bits, which is a lot easier (hence cheaper) to replace than on some other more popular cars, for example the whole front needs to come off on the Passat/A4. It's the same engine as in the Peugeot 405.

That asking price is high in the extreme for what is essentially a 15yr old car, I think he just added that last digit for a laugh.

Dip into the reservoir tank and take a sample of LHM fluid (don't worry, it's safe, just mineral oil and not corrosive to paint like brake fluid). Make sure it's a clear bright green colour. You should be able to see down to the bottom of the tank with a torch. A brown or dirty/cloudy fluid needs flushing and replacing, it's not much more difficult than replacing brake fluid in another car but you might as well let the dealer carry the expense and effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

My parents had 4 Citroens in a row from new. 2x GS, 1 x BX and 1 x Xantia.

It was the Xantia that turned them off Citroen for good. It had one niggly issue after the other, all of them electric. Non or only sporadically working lights, heater fans, mirrors, windows, warning lights going on and off, etc.

Mechanically the car was sound, electrics was a never ending chain of garage visits and still the issues were never really sorted and kept re-occuring.

So do make sure that everything electric works, and if it doesn't, don't assume it's an easy fix.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Don't be half arsed here, XM is the way to go!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQjbGdnsvaWU_Rlgw25fPlo5e3jsxw_HkiYG0BSK8mK74gll2DPnA

fptosca wrote: »
    I wouldn't think so to be honest. More power/bigger engine = more petrol consumption. Also, it's a much heavier car. I wouldn't expect it to do even close to 33 MPG
    Yes but it's not a misfiring crappy old pushrod engine like in my Fiesta. Also, this: http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/overview/12-Citroen/96-Xantia.html?fueltype=2&vehicletype=1&power_s=110&power_e=110&gearing=1&sort=3&powerunit=2
    8.62 l/100km = about 33 MPG, and that's from 48 drivers, not manufacturer's figures.
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1949057

^Looks like a much better deal than the one your talking about.
    Wrong side of the country though! :(
    I'm not too pushed about the diesels either, there's a lot more things to go wrong with them in their old age.
    -Corkie- wrote:
    If you are going down the bangeromics route you will do a lot better than a Xantia.
    Any recommendations? I don't want to go into insane engine territory quite yet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'm in the process of putting mine back on the road. Have to say I love the car. I picked it up in the UK a couple of years ago for around €1200. It's the 1.8 and a Sept 2000 reg. 60k on the clock and a FSH.

For €1650 you should be able to pick up a very good diesek. Most likely in the UK though, very few for sale here.

What would VRT be like for something like a Xantia these days? Would it be worthwhile at all? I don't really want to spend too much more time looking at cars right now, but if I do buy this one and enjoy it I would consider buying a newer and higher-spec model in a year or so.

Yeah there doesn't seem to be much around here right now, I think I missed the January trade-ins and I'm not sure how many fell victim to the scrappage scheme...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

getting car from uk with budget of 2k max is a joke to be honest.

you can get a banger on these lands too.

as for the one you found in garage, i will say it again, its overprices, unless it has fresh nct with 2 years.

if there is nothing on the market now, then just wait for day or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭freighter

getting car from uk with budget of 2k max is a joke to be honest.

you can get a banger on these lands too.

as for the one you found in garage, i will say it again, its overprices, unless it has fresh nct with 2 years.

Your spot on lad cars are cheaper here at the moment especially bangers. You will find a good yoke on donedeal for under 2K.

Why would you want a ball of Sh1te of a citroen xantia.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

If you like the hydropneumatic suspension, why not go for a C5? Well within budget too. There's a saying in the trade that a C5 is "harder to shift than AIDS" so you'll be able to do a good deal :D

Again, make sure all electrics work.

getting car from uk with budget of 2k max is a joke to be honest..

As above I did it 3 years ago for less than 2k for an 8 year old one.

I reularly check the Irish sites and Xantia pickings have been slim for ages.
    freighter wrote: »

Yeah, he'd be better off getting himself a 1.4 Golf like everyone else.:rolleyes:

unkel wrote: »
    If you like the hydropneumatic suspension, why not go for a C5? Well within budget too. There's a saying in the trade that a C5 is "harder to shift than AIDS" so you'll be able to do a good deal :D

Again, make sure all electrics work.

+1, you'll get a very decent petrol C5 for €1600 :)
    Excellent idea Unkel :cool:

• Advertisement

RoverJames wrote: »
    +1, you'll get a very decent petrol C5 for €1600 :)
    Excellent idea Unkel :cool:

The interior of the early c5 is manky imo. Very late 90's fiesta.

Hardly a reason to justify buying a rough and overpriced Xantia though is it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

As above I did it 3 years ago for less than 2k for an 8 year old one.

I reularly check the Irish sites and Xantia pickings have been slim for ages.

Yeah, he'd be better off getting himself a 1.4 Golf like everyone else.:rolleyes:

No wonder the pick is slim they are all scrapped. Who said buy a 1.4 Golf. You have a serious attitude dude.

RoverJames wrote: »
    Hardly a reason to justify buying a rough and overpriced Xantia though is it :)

It'll only be rough and overpriced if it's one of the 2 on sale here. Further afield will provide some nice exmples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

Xantias are grand, that price of 1600 is also a grand, a grand too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

My dad has the late model Hdi 110.

Mechanically its a absolutely fantastic, top notch diesel with a great suspension setup.
    The suspension is trouble free if the spheres are replaced, its only a ten minute job.

The electrics arent too bad, everything still works 140,000 miles in.

Amazing cruiser, among the most comfortable cars on any road.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Asking €1650 for a 14 year old petrol Xantia is madness. Even diesel ones are not selling for that much.

-Corkie- wrote: »
    No wonder the pick is slim they are all scrapped. Who said buy a 1.4 Golf. You have a serious attitude dude.

Production in Europe stopped in 2001, sales shortly after. There were never many of them in the country in the first place, so with natural wastage (crashed, scrappage schemes) there's even fewer left on the road. Some are still putting up savage mileage as taxis.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

That Xantia is way way overpriced at 1650.

I sold a 1994 one with about 8 months test left on it in January for 100 euro. Last owner had it since 1998, was driving fine, just needed the load sensing valve in the rear replaced. Thre was no mad rush of people to buy it at that price either and was just about to send it to the scrap metal guys

• Advertisement

freighter wrote: »
    It didn't look nor drive like a ball of shíte.
    unkel wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I just assumed they'd be completely out of my league but I guess not! I'd be a bit concerned about early examples though, and I like the look of the Xantia a lot more - the C5 looks a bit lumpy and non-descript IMO. Maybe it'll grow on me :)
    After four years of said Fiesta, that's something I want to get away from! :eek::D But I'm sure it's about a million times more comfortable than the Feshty.

I have to re-evalute everything now the C5 has come into the equation. I'm not going to consider that Xantia at all now without a serious discount, or with some deal on getting the timing belt changed.

Still not sure about getting a diesel - I'm not scared about 2-litre tax but can't there's a lot more expensive things to go wrong with them like glow plugs (well, expensive compared to spark plugs :o ), injectors, turbos, etc. Do the C5 diesels all have cats and particulate filters? I'm not doing massive mileage either, did about 7k miles last year.

Thanks again for all the help and advice :pac:

Advertisement