Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda Reserve - Interview/Report-Writing (see Moderator note: POST#1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭karlokarl

Cheers Kilkcat! By the way does anyone know who to e mail/contact about the application process?? Cheers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

is the report writing the same in the gr as it is in the regular garda interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

shakin wrote: »
    is the report writing the same in the gr as it is in the regular garda interview?

You are given a scenario in a booklet (story board with pictures) that gets re-used, as opposed to being shown a video, you have to compile your report with dates, times places, witness statement#1, witness statement#2 and so on, leaving out the irrelevant information that's also included, it's do-able but time runs out just like in the regular test.

lehanemore wrote: »
    You are given a scenario in a booklet (story board with pictures) that gets re-used, as opposed to being shown a video, you have to compile your report with dates, times places, witness statement#1, witness statement#2 and so on, leaving out the irrelevant information that's also included, it's do-able but time runs out just like in the regular test.

im going to do a prep course for the full time gardai and was wondering will the interview material in that be useful for the gr interview?

im going to do a prep course for the full time gardai and was wondering will the interview material in that be useful for the gr interview?

the GR interview is big on community involvement, teamwork, life experience, dealing with new challenges, "making a difference" :rolleyes:that kind of thing.

Edit: you will be interviewed specifically on the 3 examples below from the notes for candidates;

The interview board will be particularly interested in hearing about your experiences in the following areas:
    (a) Making a difference in your community
    (b) Working as part of a team
    (c) Dealing with a new challenge

• Advertisement

the GR interview is big on community involvement, teamwork, life experience, dealing with new challenges, "making a difference" :rolleyes:that kind of thing.

Edit: you will be interviewed specifically on the 3 examples below from the notes for candidates;

The interview board will be particularly interested in hearing about your experiences in the following areas:
    (a) Making a difference in your community
    (b) Working as part of a team
    (c) Dealing with a new challenge

4i think id manage b and c but a looks tricky. do we fill out a form smilar the garda full time one, bfore the interview?

4i think id manage b and c but a looks tricky. do we fill out a form smilar the garda full time one, bfore the interview?

http://http://www.publicjobs.ie/downloads/06053_Garda_Reserve_Supplementary_Form.doc

if the link doesn't work, google Garda Reserve Application Form, or alternatively you'll find it on the publicjobs.ie website.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

When you go into the public appointments office for your interview,do you go to reception and say what you're there for or what's the story ?

Hey CO19, I haven't done the interview yet myself but I presume there would be a specific area to go to for the GR interviews. You doing it soon?
    I applied last week and I got an e-mail the other day saying that the interview would be in mid may and they'd be writing to me shortly with the exact date....that was fairly quick for an interview date wasn't it??

karlokarl wrote: »
    Hey CO19, I haven't done the interview yet myself but I presume there would be a specific area to go to for the GR interviews. You doing it soon?
    I applied last week and I got an e-mail the other day saying that the interview would be in mid may and they'd be writing to me shortly with the exact date....that was fairly quick for an interview date wasn't it??

That certaintly is quick Karl,I've been waiting since January for an interview date just got a letter on Wedenesday saying I have it this Wednesday at 11.

• Advertisement

So can anyoe tell me where you go when you go into the public appointments office ? do you just go up to reception and say what you're there for or is there a specific area for reserve applicants to go to ?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

You just go in and say what you are there for, all manner of interviews take place there for all types of public jobs.

They seem to be fast tracking things now,I did my interview on Wednesday then got a call on Thursday evening to say I had passed and to fill in the GR2 form,they're never that quick getting back to people.

CO19 wrote: »
    They seem to be fast tracking things now,I did my interview on Wednesday then got a call on Thursday evening to say I had passed and to fill in the GR2 form,they're never that quick getting back to people.

nice one CO19;)

what kinda questions did you get?

nice one CO19;)

what kinda questions did you get?

Cheers lehan ;),ah they asked the usual stuff they seem to ask everyone,what I do in my community,what have I done that involved team work,any challenges I've encountered.They pretty much kept it on the 3 main points that's on the notes for candidate's i.e making a difference in your community,working as part of a team and dealing with challenges.
    I was in for half an hour but it felt like 2 mins I couldn't beleive how fast it went in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Stephen321

How long do interview results for the reserve take to come out, does anyone know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 leo bowes

Stephen321 wrote: »
    How long do interview results for the reserve take to come out, does anyone know

on average you should get a reply within 2 weeks

Yeah I think they are getting quicker with the process. I applied 3 weeks ago and I have an interview this Wednesday. What should you wear for the interview??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

Yeah I think they are getting quicker with the process. I applied 3 weeks ago and I have an interview this Wednesday. What should you wear for the interview??

same as you'd wear to any interview, a suit!

Well, had the interview today. Report writing was fine, just not too sure about the interview itself. The interviewers didn't really reveal much or say anything encouraging....that's just the way it's run I suppose! Now for the wait for the results.....

• Advertisement

Same with me Karl they didn't give any sort of hint etc at how it went when it was finished,if it's still being done the way mine was 2 weeks ago you should get a call tomorrow or Friday at some point asking you to fill out the GR2 form if you've passed but as I said before this may have just been a once off thing with me in the fast reply back to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 djpaddy

I passed my interview and test back in february,and i am still waiting for them to get in contact with me for interview with sargeant and to recieve gr2 form. has anybody else been waiting this long or longer?

You haven't gotten the GR2 form :eek: I'd get onto them and find out what's going on,I'd say it's an error on their part somewhere along the line.

Thanks CO19! Was just a bit worried cause like yourself I'm fairly young (only 21) and am in college, although I do have a bit of work experience behind me! Hopefully I'll hear back with a good result soon!!

Hey, got a letter today saying that I hadn't passed the interview stage so a bit disappointed. Have applied for full time though so hopefully that will go a bit better!!

Hey, got a letter today saying that I hadn't passed the interview stage so a bit disappointed. Have applied for full time though so hopefully that will go a bit better!!

hard luck man, was it the interview or report? did you do any prep courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

At least you have some idea of what the interview for An Garda Siochana will be like and it won't be as daunting for you ... Yeah saw that you applied for An G.S. , good luck with that process karlokarl :)

Thanks guys! Don't know where I went down, think it was the interview! I applied for feedback so should find out what exactly went wrong. As I said, I'm only 21 and got the impression in the interview that they were loking for older people with more work experience because they started off by asking me bout my job when my application clearly said college student! Hopefully the interview for An G.S. won't be based so much around job experience and community involvement!! Ah well..time will tell!

Oh, by the way, Shakin, I didn't do any prep courses cause there's nothing really to prepare for. It's all about your community and life so you can't exactly do a course for that! The report writing went fine I felt - plenty of time. Have you applied for the Reserves?

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear that Karl :( you probably got two gits for interviewers,mine just stuck to the 3 things that the notes for candidates says i.e community involvement-team work and differences you've made in your community that's it, so I wouldn't be really blamin yourself for not gettin through as I said you may have just been unfortunate with the two you got for the interview.

Advertisement