Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Immigrating to America - My dad was a prisoner of war. Can he visit me?

• 29-06-2014 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hey, not sure if I am posting this in the right section of the forum, but I am hoping someone might know a little about immigration or have similar experiences.

I am getting married to a nice American lady who despite my flaws has somehow managed to keep enough patience to have me around. We are getting married, and I will be joining her in the US.

However, I am a little worried about one small scenario. In the 1970's my father spent some time in the concentration camp known as Long Kesh as he was fighting for the unity of our beautiful country. He was sentenced to 71 years combined, but was released after 10 years because you only serve the time awarded to the largest single sentence of your entire set in this scenario.

If he wants to visit me, or attend the wedding, will there be a problem? I mean, I have heard of other men and women involved in the troubles who were able to travel to the US, but things have tightened up since 9/11 and I want to know what the procedure is. If he can visit, I assume he doesn't have the same procedure as the average person considering the ESTA form asks about "Terrorist Activity"?

All info is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

He will apply for the Visa. I can see problems but each case is dealt with individually. The purpose of the visit might be the decider. He won't be recognised as a Prisoner of War so best to drop that title.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 LeamD

Thanks for the response, should he merely apply for the esta, then see what happens? Does he say "yes" to the terrorist activity section? then they give details as to what he should do when he is declined?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

You could always call the embassy and ask. What exactly is the terrorist section question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

from the questionaire
    C) Have you ever been or are you now involved in espionage or sabotage; or in terrorist activities; or genocide; or between 1933 and 1945 were you involved, in any way, in persecutions associated with Nazi Germany or its allies? *
    Yes No

Probably best to fill out the ESTA which will likely be refused, then it's off to the embassy for a visa application. He quite possibly will get a visa but I would not advise using language like 'concentration camp' or 'prisoner of war' - they're too loaded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

LeamD wrote: »
    Thanks for the response, should he merely apply for the esta, then see what happens? Does he say "yes" to the terrorist activity section? then they give details as to what he should do when he is declined?

He can not benefit from ESTA and must make a application for a visa via the nearest embassy. I would guess best to give plenty of time for any application as its more than likely the application will go to Dept. Homeland Security.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Use emotive inflammatory expression such as POW and concentration camp if you DONT want your dad at your wedding or ever to visit you in the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

I'm sure that any mention of Provo links to Libya, P.L.O. Colombia should be avoided. The Americans have long memories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

LeamD wrote: »
    In the 1970's my father spent some time in the concentration camp known as Long Kesh as he was fighting for the unity of our beautiful country. He was sentenced to 71 years combined, but was released after 10 years because you only serve the time awarded to the largest single sentence of your entire set in this scenario.
    Remind him to take off his rose-tinted glasses when getting his passport photo taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

In the spirit of the previous post it's worth pointing out that a majority of people in the US believe in creationism over evolution....

http://www.gallup.com/poll/21814/Evolution-Creationism-Intelligent-Design.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    I'm sure that any mention of Provo links to Libya, P.L.O. Colombia should be avoided. The Americans have long memories.

The American authorities will have him on a list as he's done time in Long Kesh so there's no point in trying to conceal that fact. Doing so will just get him perma banned from the US.

Advertisement