Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New icerink!!

• 26-09-2011 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

So theres an NHL sized rink being built somewhere on the northside of dublin! About time!!

Read more...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

red_ice wrote: »
    So theres an NHL sized rink being built somewhere on the northside of dublin! About time!!

Read more...

That well be awsome. But why not use the rink in dundalk. Could they not make it bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

cena wrote: »
    That well be awsome. But why not use the rink in dundalk. Could they not make it bigger.

Dundalk was a terrible location for an icerink. There were a million reasons why it went arseways in fairness. The rink being based in the north/south of dublin doenst matter, if it really did matter it would be second only to it being at the redcow. Sure the m1 is 10 minutes up the m50 from the tallaght exit. Its a fantastic location!

I only played hockey for the last year of dundalk after an 8 year break from the game. As much as i wanted to play i wasnt arsed driving to dundalk for an hour and a half of icetime. Im positive there are alot of people feeling the same. I know 4 people off of the top of my head that would like to play hockey again, they just wouldnt drive to dundalk to play.

Im sure they made it as big as they could. In fairness it being an NHL sized rink, i think you can take from that what the primary function of the ice is for.

Now im from dublin myself so im biased... In a perfect world I think everyone deserves a rink, but noone can argue that if there was to be one rink dublin should get it due to the ratio of people that would end up playing and ice sport housed in the rink. It is the most economic location in fairness.

Still, its a shame about dundalk, but at least there is light at the end of the tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Fantastic news if this happens! I've always been keen on improving my skating and trying to start playing hockey, but Dundalk was just too far to travel regularly.

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Fantastic news if this happens! I've always been keen on improving my skating and trying to start playing hockey, but Dundalk was just too far to travel regularly.

I would of took me 3hours too have gone too dundalk. Is there a reason Why they would bring nhl size rink here. I hope some nhl teams come here for a game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

I would of took me 3hours too have gone too dundalk. Is there a reason Why they would bring nhl size rink here. I hope some nhl teams come here for a game

The Bruins were in Belfast last year. No sign of a NHL team playing up there this year.

• Advertisement

COYW wrote: »
    The Bruins were in Belfast last year. No sign of a NHL team playing up there this year.

Hopefully some other teams will follow the Bruins lead and come over in the years to come. The Giants-Bruins game was a fantastic occasion.

The room where the rink is in would fit an international sized rink easy, but there would be no room for people to watch a game etc. So new boards were brought in and they are NHL boards (tighter curves) and it leaves enough room for spectators etc. Im positive down the line there would be some big teams coming to play, its only a matter of time and if the rink lasts long enough to see them step foot on the ice.
    COYW wrote: »

I played 2 games against the bruins alumni team that year too in dundalk :D I started to support them that year along side the avs - then a year later they take home lord stannly! Am i the hockey equivalent of a united fan? Surely i cant be...

Am i the hockey equivalent of a united fan? Surely i cant be...

Not quite, you got in there just in time though :)

Not quite, you got in there just in time though :)

Ill sleep good tonight knowing that :D I do follow united tho haha

I hear there are 3 new Ice Rinks being built in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Any links? That'd be sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

3 new rinks? ... it would be ace if you had a team in the Elite League so I could watch the Panthers play over there :)

I saw pictures of one of them somewhere but yeah there will be no more driving up north to skate.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

I don't think so, unless you're thinking of the Christmas rinks. I know the one in Santry is underconstruction (saw a few pics on FB, looks pretty good so far) but as far as I know, there's not any talk of other ones.

Wisco wrote: »
    I don't think so, unless you're thinking of the Christmas rinks. I know the one in Santry is underconstruction (saw a few pics on FB, looks pretty good so far) but as far as I know, there's not any talk of other ones.

Have you a link too that facebook page.

Wisco wrote: »

Its been under construction now for nearly a month now at this point. There are a few pics on facebook but they are for close friends of the parties involved.

Have you a link too that facebook page.

Please dont reply to this with a link to the page. No offence cena, its just people have been told by the lads who are doing it that they wish to keep identities etc to a need to know basis and with people they know.

The only reason the pictures of the rink were put online was to show some of the people who are playing proof that its underway and to get ready to play some ice hockey/figure skate/play curling. There was also an appeal going out to them to help with some laboring on site... this involves cleaning the boards around the rink and cleaning up the general area before the redecorating of the premises goes ahead.

Its been under construction now for nearly a month now at this point. There are a few pics on facebook but they are for close friends of the parties involved.

Please dont reply to this with a link to the page. No offence cena, its just people have been told by the lads who are doing it that they wish to keep identities etc to a need to know basis and with people they know.

The only reason the pictures of the rink were put online was to show some of the people who are playing proof that its underway and to get ready to play some ice hockey/figure skate/play curling. There was also an appeal going out to them to help with some laboring on site... this involves cleaning the boards around the rink and cleaning up the general area before the redecorating of the premises goes ahead.

What differences does it make if we see the photos. No point coming on here and telling ous you see photos of the place and the rest of ous don't

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

It's a link on a friends FB page, not a public one, so I cant link it anyway.

What differences does it make if we see the photos. No point coming on here and telling ous you see photos of the place and the rest of ous don't

There was no point in my coming on here and letting people know that there's an ice rink being built?

Can you quote me where I said "I've seen photos of a rink that's being built but you lot cant see them" please? What I got from my post was me saying don't link the accounts that have the pics on them, because the people who have the photos up are trying to keep anonymous for what ever reason.

Am I wrong for trying to respect that? :confused:

There was no point in my coming on here and letting people know that there's an ice rink being built?

Can you quote me where I said "I've seen photos of a rink that's being built but you lot cant see them" please? What I got from my post was me saying don't link the accounts that have the pics on them, because the people who have the photos up are trying to keep anonymous for what ever reason.

Am I wrong for trying to respect that? :confused:

I'm sorry. But no point in saying you see photos when outside people can't see the photos. Are we too know were in santry it is.

• Advertisement

I'm sorry. But no point in saying you see photos when outside people can't see the photos. Are we too know were in santry it is.

I didnt talk about the photos. Other people did. Please get your facts right before having a verbal at me for trying to respect peoples wishes. I simply said not to show them for reasons which I've said a number of times already.

The 'outside' people will see the rink when the 'inside' people want them to. Its as simple as that.

I didnt talk about the photos. Other people did. Please get your facts right before having a verbal at me for trying to respect peoples wishes. I simply said not to show them for reasons which I've said a number of times already.

The 'outside' people will see the rink when the 'inside' people want them to. Its as simple as that.

Fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭PMC83

I have posted a pic on this thread:

http://forums.internationalhockey.net/showthread.php?11074-New-rink

It was availible on the bulleye facebook page so I assume it isnt a major secret.

http://www.iiha.org/downloads/IIHA_Newsletter_201110_Vol_1_Issue_1.pdf

Pictures and mention of this in the latest IIHA newsletter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

No offence cena, its just people have been told by the lads who are doing it that they wish to keep identities etc to a need to know basis and with people they know.

Christ. It's a fvcking ice rink. It's not a weapons facility.
    Hockey in Ireland will never exist with all this cloak and dagger bullsh1t.
    Nothing changes.
    There are about 15 people with the knowledge and potential financial backing to open an ice rink in Ireland and none of them have made it work so far because none of them have the business expertise to make an ice rink a commerically viable product in this country.
    So, I'll believe it when I see it, and then I'll give them 18 months to run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭PMC83

Zamboni wrote: »
    Hockey in Ireland will never exist with all this cloak and dagger bullsh1t.
    Nothing changes.

Agreed!!

:D

I heard there are actually 15 currently already built but they're owned by Sean Quinn and they're in underground bunkers in Monaghan and Cavan to be used for leisure during the upcoming nuclear winter.

Anyone else got any rumours?

http://www.iiha.org/downloads/IIHA_Newsletter_201110_Vol_1_Issue_1.pdf

Pictures and mention of this in the latest IIHA newsletter.

If Mick is right on the International Hockey forum and those boards are the property of the IIHA under what agreement are they being used?

The IIHA own a full set of boards and they were in the accounts but have been fully depreciated over time and no longer feature on the 2011 Financial Statements

But if the IIHA have sold these boards to this new venture or if the IIHA are leasing/renting the boards to this venture then the current IIHA Treasurer will have to realise the value of these boards in the 2012 Financial Statements either as an income from the disposal of a fixed asset or as a fixed asset that is yielding a rental income.

Zamboni wrote: »
    If Mick is right on the International Hockey forum and those boards are the property of the IIHA under what agreement are they being used?

The IIHA own a full set of boards and they were in the accounts but have been fully depreciated over time and no longer feature on the 2011 Financial Statements

But if the IIHA have sold these boards to this new venture or if the IIHA are leasing/renting the boards to this venture then the current IIHA Treasurer will have to realise the value of these boards in the 2012 Financial Statements either as an income from the disposal of a fixed asset or as a fixed asset that is yielding a rental income.

You're asking the wrong person there mate, sorry!

• Advertisement

You're asking the wrong person there mate, sorry!

Sorry mate I meant to quote the post linking to the International Hockey Forum.

Advertisement