Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bird flying into the house

• 30-05-2009 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭

According to superstition, this is supposed to mean an impending death!

I'm a bit freaked out as a bird just flew into our kitchen (through a small open window) and into the utility room, I then opened a window there and he flew out.

Back in 1985, my mother was sitting on the couch when a robin flew into the room and landed on her shoulder where he remained for a minute before flying off. An hour later, we found out my grandad had died - around the time this robin flew into the house.

My husband and son are gone to a football match about half an hour's drive away, and I'm worried! But my hubby is such a sceptic that if I phone him and tell him to be careful because of this he'll give me a bollocking!

Has anybody on this forum ever heard about this phenomenon?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

yes I've heard about it many times, as a kid in Dublin and in the west of Ireland where i spent a lot of time. All i can say is that there would be nobody left in my familt if it was true, regularly in clare brids fly into the house, big ones and small one, we try to encourage the robins in during the winter.

anyway most of the family is still alive, it's not something I'd worry about, regardless of it meaning something or not, worry serves no purpose in these situations IMHO.

It can also mean an impending burgerlery. Make sure you close your windows and door's .

I wouldnt worry about it too much.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

My in-laws, every year without fail, have a 'pet' wild robin that flys into their kitchen. (Not the same one obviously..) Birds often fly into the place where I work too, in the summer. Rather than being an omen, it just means its warm so we tend to have the doors and windows open. :)

I have heard of birds as omens before, and if you want to you will always find a story to fit the belief. My mum in law believes that a curlews call foretells a death. I just think that when she happens to notice hearing one, because she has this belief, the next death that happens gets pinned on the bird.

Superstitions are just a curiousity. Something to wonder about. Not something to cause you to sit in your kitchen stressing out. Enjoy the birds around your house (or in it) just for what they are. Birds. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

After all that, hubby and son arrived home safe and sound!

My mother was super-superstitous she drove me crazy. If she set out on a journey and the first person she met was a woman, she would turn her car around and go home!

I'm trying my hardest not to turn out like that! I have actually never experienced a bird flying into the house, that's why I was alarmed. But it happens to you above, and your relatives are still around thank goodness.

Now I'm off to find a ladder to walk under....
    It can also mean an impending burgerlery. Make sure you close your windows and door's .

I wouldnt worry about it too much.

Thanks for the warning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭magenta73

My mother is exactly the same! one glove falling on the floor, don't put new shoes on the table, I could go on for hours with all of her superstitions, but I remember her telling me about the bird also, that it meant someone was going to die, but it happened to me twice and TG nothing bad ever happened.

but on a funny note! I was led to believe that walking under a ladder was bad luck but my husband is a painter and walks under them every day and he's fine, LOL,

glad your hubby and son arrived home safe op:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭pipeliner

if anybody close to my mother dies, she always sees a bird in the house. I can think of 3 times this happened. Even during the winter so its not a case of the windows being open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭hiorta

This is the time of year when there are lots of young, inexperienced birds about. They get into all sorts of places as they explore their new world.
    Death is natural to all living creatures.
    There is NO connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭carnsoreboxer

Very recently in my home I found a bird in the kitchen, tried my best to free him but he died - I was worried as I grew up hearing that a dead bird in the house was a sign of death. Over the weekend I was down the country and we found another dead bird in the sitting room. Now I'm really and truly freaked out. Anyone know of any way I can reverse this omen, please. Everytime my husband or kids go out now I'm up the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Anyone know of any way I can reverse this omen, please. Everytime my husband or kids go out now I'm up the wall

Close your windows and dont believe in folk tales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭RLJ

kelle wrote: »
    I have actually never experienced a bird flying into the house,
    three times recently a bird got in when back door left open and was here in house all night. no death but lots of bird sh1t and the last time a rug had to be binned. last time the bird kept bashing herself against the glass as i had unknowingly startled her and i had to catch her and leave her out the door

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Very recently in my home I found a bird in the kitchen, tried my best to free him but he died - I was worried as I grew up hearing that a dead bird in the house was a sign of death. Over the weekend I was down the country and we found another dead bird in the sitting room. Now I'm really and truly freaked out. Anyone know of any way I can reverse this omen, please. Everytime my husband or kids go out now I'm up the wall
    Have you got a cat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Are you still alive?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 trishmc11

A bird flew in our house last month and my husband's uncle died. Today, another bird flew into our house and we are a bit unnerved.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

trishmc11 wrote: »
    A bird flew in our house last month and my husband's uncle died. Today, another bird flew into our house and we are a bit unnerved.

The bird may be a red herring. Have you thought about something else unusual that you did during the between the bird's entry and the death that might have foretold the death?

For example, did you make tea at any time that tasted a bit metallic?
    Did the wind make the curtains move in the time leading up to the death?
    Were there cats fighting outside at night around that time?
    Did you notice any hanging pictures that were a bit crooked and needed straightening?
    Did you have difficulty remembering where you put your carkeys and then found them in a place where you normally wouldn't leave them?
    Did someone from whom you hadn't heard in a while make contact with you out of the blue?
    Did the reception on the tv get worse for no reason and then get better?

This isn't an exhaustive list of omens but they are just as likely to be related to a death as the bird. Since these things happen all the time and since people die all the time it's silly to make connections between these unrelated events.

Put it down to coincidence and stop worrying about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Broads.ie

I wouldn't worry about it. It's an old superstitious tale with absolutely no evidence to back it up whatsoever. Enjoy your day.
    trishmc11 wrote: »

The bird flew into the house and your husband's Uncle just collapsed dead instantly?

Advertisement