Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Howth Hill Climb

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Sorry Tommy I was a bit premature. You're the second best. BagO'Cans man is the best. I forgot about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Plastik

Thats a bit hard on the roadie.I often pass roadies on my MTB when travelling back to Stepaside after 2 hours around Djouce/Powerscourt.But to be honest,these lads are'nt hard core road racers,more the WW 200 kind.We all know there's no way a fit mountainbiker on a Mtb will keep up with a fit roadie on a roadbike.When on my roadbike Ive never been passed by a lad on a MTB.

I don't know about that, shortly after I started browsing here there was a race between a roadie and mud slinger on their respective machines from the top of Howth to Bray and it was won by the man with suspension !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Plastik wrote: »
    I don't know about that, shortly after I started browsing here there was a race between a roadie and mud slinger on their respective machines from the top of Howth to Bray and it was won by the man with suspension !

Ah yes, but who looked better turned out and more smug at the start line?

In the end, that is what counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

Plastik wrote: »

or this guy:

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/mountain-biker-wins-road-race-on-his-hardtail-22736/

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stevie_b

Tommyadams wrote: »
    I've always suspected but now that it's official I can finally put it on the ol' business card!

.... yeah you can put it on your foil stamped, embossed business card.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Tommyadams

Sorry Tommy I was a bit premature. You're the second best. BagO'Cans man is the best. I forgot about him.
    Theres no shame in being beaten by the best. I once saw him break from the pack in an effort to make it to the off licence before ten o'clock. Awe inspiring stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

PB for 2011 of 7.41 last night @ full tilt. Delighted with myself as was a little breezy. Second time round at 75%, 8.29. Onwards and upwards. Training pays off for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

PB for 2011 of 7.41 last night @ full tilt
    Well done.
    BTW, how long is the climb and what altitude is gained ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Well done.
    BTW, how long is the climb and what altitude is gained ?

Max altitude is 420 feet if I'm not mistaken. So your gain is just under that. I have to start timing myself up this one, my problem is I enjoy the village-side-up climb much more

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

PB for 2011 of 7.41 last night @ full tilt. Delighted with myself as was a little breezy. Second time round at 75%, 8.29. Onwards and upwards. Training pays off for sure.
    Great time P! but where were you on sunday? Perfect opportunity for ya with the A4 race finishing up the nags head. I see your talking about doing the relatively flat race sunday - maybe pick those races more carefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

And there was I happy to be approaching 10min. 10:07 best so far this year - hoping to get under ten even at some stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 fireblade001

My life time best is 9:06, at a Club TT starting at the church, last year it was 10:32.

'member "The Nissan" went up that 4 times from the village side, Paul Kimmage was in the break that day.

Love this climb.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Great time P! but where were you on sunday? Perfect opportunity for ya with the A4 race finishing up the nags head. I see your talking about doing the relatively flat race sunday - maybe pick those races more carefully.

With 2 kids under 20 months I have to plan well ahead so I didn't pencil that in unfortunately. Where's Nags Head? Good climb?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

With 2 kids under 20 months I have to plan well ahead so I didn't pencil that in unfortunately. Where's Nags Head? Good climb?
    Ah now i understand! Ah its nothing to talk about and the race was only up the easy first third of it. But the field was in bits from the rest of the course and any uphill finish will suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

You rode it on the Sunday Racer's training spin. It's the first turn we take off the R132.

oh man that nearly killed me that day (not the crash) if it's the one I remember. was just about hanging on. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Gave this a go tonight. 8:14 - apart from the beneficial effects of my first wear of the Swords club kit, I put down the improvement to having evened out my effort a bit better than before. I kept a bit more in the tank and it seemed to pay off. The wind was strong but it wasn't helping.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

Gave this a go tonight. 8:14 - apart from the beneficial effects of my first wear of the Swords club kit, I put down the improvement to having evened out my effort a bit better than before. I kept a bit more in the tank and it seemed to pay off. The wind was strong but it wasn't helping.

over half a minute faster than your boards TT time last August, impressive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 fireblade001

Where do you guys start the clock from? Les Junes club TT from years and year and years gone by used to start our Club TT from the Church, is this the standard, or someplace else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Wahey, after 2 months of little activity and a 3kg gain I got my first sub 10min time. 9.57 with 5sec penalty for no standing start. This time last year I almost fell off I was going so slowly, looked down at speedo and saw myself keeping a steady 19km/h for steepest parts.

Then I was chased home by a surprisingly fast terrier, American Flyers style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Did my first hill climb TT of the year up Howth (sutton side) this evening.

12m51 for an average speed of 17.8 kph. This with the bike (and me) in winter configuration...

Did it again this evening in 11m on the button. Yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Did this in around 11"40 yesterday

windy, wasn't wearing technical top, had pavlova for lunch etc.

prob <6 mins otherwise i reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Whats the official start and finish spots? Would like to give this a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

Inquitus wrote: »
    Whats the official start and finish spots? Would like to give this a go.

You're in luck, there's a discussion about this on the first page of this very thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭ba

this photo might help describe where the beginning is

5738269034_0760e73009_z.jpg

as for the finish... you might need to scroll through the lot of these photos to decipher that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 elsanto

Did it in 8.52 this morning with a rucksack full of clothes. I usually go down the side street that splits off by the coast and the do two steeper climbs with a bit of a break in the middle. However, going straight up on the main road at speed is way harder. Will have another go tomorrow.

On another note - I'm looking for some people in Clontarf / Raheny / Sutton / Howth who want to train, say, Tuesday, Thursday mornings at 6:45 and Saturday mornings at 8 or 9?

I'd join a club, but I have to do my cycling in the AM while the kids are still asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Elsanto, Your kids are still asleep at 9 on Saturday??? Do you drug them or what??

• Registered Users Posts: 10 elsanto

Haha - no - but if I'm gone before they wake up - it's my wife's business!

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭burger1979

elsanto - i like your style...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Did it again this evening in 11m on the button. Yay!

And knocked off another second this evening for 10m59...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement