Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slieve Bloom Half Marathon 8th April '12

• 13-03-2012 7:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭

Anybody else doing this or have any information in relation to it, just entered myself. Start 10.30am on Easter Sunday. From race website it looks a hilly route profile. €22 for half marathon isn't bad value these days. I'm not associated with the race in anyway.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Ya a hilly course !!

Seems great value but I'm doing the conna half the weekend before so I don't think I'll do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

I'm tempted by this as the scenery around the Slieve Bloom Way is spectacular. However it would be my first half marathon and looks like something of a toughie...

Would people wear runners or trail running shoes for this? It sounds from the description like its all on roads or forest trails so runners should be Ok, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

eoinín wrote: »
    Would people wear runners or trail running shoes for this?

Emailed the organiser asking the exact same question and he said runners all the way.

Cool, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭The Hammer

I just notice from the Run Ireland description text url]http://www.runireland.com/events/slieve-bloom-run-10km-half-marathon[/url that the half marathon is described as "Mountain Race". The description text in a PDF on the race website is found at url]http://runalong.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/SBR_Updated-Route-Description.pdf[/url ...

I am a little worried that this might be a bit too hilly - Normally wouldn't mind this - but am working towards a crack at my PB in the Limerick Marathon - and don't want to beat the legs up too much.

See the elevation model from Run Ireland - elevation gain of about 250 meters. :eek:

Anyone any thoughts on running this at Half Marathon pace - and recovery into Limerick in 4 weeks time? Anyone any thoughts on how this would compare with say Connemara Half...

Thanks in advance boardsies...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭SnappyDresser

Great half marathon in beautiful surroundings. Very tough in parts with strong climbing for first 6 miles then downhill with a smattering of some small tough climbs thereafter. It lends as great prep for a May marathon. Lovely views at the highest point. Underfoot sometimes was a challenge but if one kept one's wits about them then no problem. Some things that could be improved.
    1. Slightly better markers for miles/km
    2. Finishing time clock
    3. Water in bottles

Apart from that a fine event

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 runner2013

Agree, couple of points where signs were not very clear but great run. Just wondering if anyone managed to get hold of the running top which was to be provided as part of registration. didnt hang round after run, but couldnt see/find anyone handing them out? No biggy either way

I really enjoyed this. It was tough in places but the lovely scenery made it a very rewarding run. As the field spread out, there was plenty of time to enjoy the solitude of the mountains! It was a peculiar feeling to be competing in a run where, for large parts of the course, there were no spectators, no traffic and no visible competitors! At times I had the song "The loneliness of a middle distance runner" in my head and was hoping I had not taken a wrong turn!

My only ask would be for more obvious mile markers (I only saw a very small "6" hanging from a tree, but no other markers).

As for the tshirts, I understand they only made enough for those who pre-registered for the race. They got theirs on the day. Those who registered on the race day will get theirs sent out to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭netmann

Found it a tough course especially the climbs and the underfoot conditions. View from the top was amazing and would agree with previous poster that bottled water is the way to go.

Other things I'd suggest to improve are:
    1. Mark the finish line a bit more clearly. A lot of people didn't know where it was
    2. Possibly offer a medal for finishers in the shape of the mountain/profile and rebrand the race as the "Slieve Bloom Mountain challenge" or something similiar

• Registered Users Posts: 40 iarmhi1975

I would agree with the comments made by other posters. This could become a successful run if they tighten up on a few areas

1. On my Garmin the distance was short and given that we were walked to the start line this seems poor to me.

2. The signing was poor and only for other competitors we would have missed two of the turns.

3 As another poster mentioned bottled water is the way to go

4 Has anyone seen picture/results fromt he event yet anywhere?

PS. I didnt notice the scenery as I was trying to catch my breath from the hills

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I went down with my husband (Eoinín) and did the 10k while he was doing the half. I loved it, i just enjoyed the course & felt I ran pretty well.

There were a few teething issues, most notably the finishing times going missing, but I'd say next year they'll have that sorted out. the route was lovely for the 10k -- hilly-ish but not terribly tough -- and everyone helping out with refreshmenst etc after was so friendly.

I don't think there were km markers, but for a 10k I actually prefer not to have them, and I prefer cups of water to bottles because of the danger of slipping on a dropped plastic bottle (I suppose that actually wouldn't be a problem in a small race like this, but in some of the dublin city centre races it can get hazardous underfoot with discarded bottles rolling around!)

re the course length, the website says it was AAI certified, so maybe the forest section messed with the Garmin's accuracy?

photos & finishing positions now up on www.runalong.net

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭saffron22

Agree re bottled water. Also runireland and several other sites said there was a tshirt i'm bloomin fit. None were there and I was told they were only for online entries. Site clearly said all entries. No bottled water at the end. Very little food. Terrain was terrible under foot (shredded my runner in the last 2miles through the forest path of sharp rocks) and very hilly. I'm glad I did it but do not think the entry fee is justified in any way shape or form.

Also no clock at the end of the race and no idea where to get results from. It said it was accurately timed. Not sure what that mean but it definitely wasn't chip timed.

Would I run it again. Probably not as once again there are far better races out there for far less money.

Plus don't appreciate being told that I will get something to commemorate for that money and not getting it. Water at the end of the race was out of some sort of industrial farm tank. Very poor show

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

saffron22 wrote: »
    Agree re bottled water. Also runireland and several other sites said there was a tshirt i'm bloomin fit. None were there and I was told they were only for online entries. Site clearly said all entries. No bottled water at the end. Very little food. Terrain was terrible under foot (shredded my runner in the last 2miles through the forest path of sharp rocks) and very hilly. I'm glad I did it but do not think the entry fee is justified in any way shape or form.

Also no clock at the end of the race and no idea where to get results from. It said it was accurately timed. Not sure what that mean but it definitely wasn't chip timed.

Would I run it again. Probably not as once again there are far better races out there for far less money.

Plus don't appreciate being told that I will get something to commemorate for that money and not getting it. Water at the end of the race was out of some sort of industrial farm tank. Very poor show

You replied to comments on the event 2 years ago?
    It was advertised as hilly so that shouldn't have been a surprise.
    Many events have water in plastic cups. I agree small bottles would be better.
    I didn't see a t-shirt advertised? An egg & cup was what I saw, but at 25 quid it was low-range price wise compared to other events so you get what you pay for.
    It was well organised and marshalled as far as I can see.
    You don't necessarily need chip timing for accurate results. Its not like people were going to be setting PBs with the hilly terrain.

Personally I found it very fire-roady. I didn't feel I experienced the Sliabh Blooms. Was glad I did it but not again.

I expect results will be on the the runalong.net website soon as well as a link to photos taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭saffron22

I'll retract that part as was down to my own stupidity

I love this race! This is my third year doing it. neither the ten k nor the half are pb courses, but I think the scenery is beautiful, I love the forest section, and it's just a really friendly race. The organisers, volunteers etc are just so nice and it's small so you always get chatting to other runners. On a less esoteric level, there are enough toilets, there are free showers and sandwiches soup and cake after. AND an Easter egg and a mug! I got the t shirt in previous years but prefer the mug.
    it's not chipped, but hand timing is fine in a small race, I think.
    I'm not associated with the race at all, but have travelled from Dublin to do it for three years -- I race a lot and I agree there are more professional races, but I just really enjoy this one and it's become an Easter tradition.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Button_y

This was my first year doing the race and my first 1/2 marathon, I enjoyed the race. It was a tough course but good and varied. I did find one section a bit rough, I just took my time. I really liked the forest section towards the end.

With regards to comments on the lack of chip, it didn't really bother me its not like I was setting any records! The water situation was awful though. I don't mind the cups but the water was rank, tasted like TCP. Could they not have got large bottles of bottled water and just filled the cups and had a bottle for each entrant at the finish line!

Other than the water situation it was a very enjoyable race.

Button_y wrote: »
    This was my first year doing the race and my first 1/2 marathon, I enjoyed the race. It was a tough course but good and varied. I did find one section a bit rough, I just took my time. I really liked the forest section towards the end.

With regards to comments on the lack of chip, it didn't really bother me its not like I was setting any records! The water situation was awful though. I don't mind the cups but the water was rank, tasted like TCP. Could they not have got large bottles of bottled water and just filled the cups and had a bottle for each entrant at the finish line!

Other than the water situation it was a very enjoyable race.

Yes, I heard the water was a bit soapy! I was only doing the 10k so I didn't need water, but on the half I wouldn't have liked that! Well done on your first half.

There was definitely a disinfectanty taste to the H2O alright. Only took 1 sip of each cup. Very strange. Could explain my stitch which I never usually get.

There was definitely a disinfectanty taste to the H2O alright. Only took 1 sip of each cup. Very strange. Could explain my stitch which I never usually get.

My husband was saying the same! V glad I didn't drink any so.

Results online:-
    10k, then half.
    http://runalong.net/slieve-bloom-run-2014-results

• Advertisement

I really enjoyed the half today, great scenery, great atmosphere, great value (€25)... The only minor thing I could fault was the odd flavour of the water as previously mentioned. Its my second time running the half and I've noticed the race has made improvements in terms of signage and course measurement since 2012, so the organisers seem to be listening to feedback.

There are some great photos of the event here:

http://jamesmccormackphotography.zenfolio.com/p822122544

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Shuttle666

Thanks for the links for results & photos. Enjoyed the Half, agreed on the water, thankfully I had a gel to get rid of the taste, otherwise 3 minutes off a PB from last Sept, so need to do a flat half soon :)

Advertisement