Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Report: New York, USA

• 21-01-2008 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭

Just back from New York yesterday. Thanks for all the help I got here.

Flew with Continental, 322 rtn, consistently cheaper than Aer Lingus. Stayed in New Yorker hotel, it's part of the Ramanda chain. It's being renovated so prices are going to shoot up soon. Cost us 500 euros for 2 people for 4 nights, tuesday to Friday. Room was small but comfy with cable and good shower, bit like an old fashioned b and b but spent little time in it. Hotel is opposite Penn Station, 2 blocks from Macy's and 4 blocks from Empire State Building. Would stay again.

Found NY cheap for electonics , bought a fuji camera for $150, same one here is 250 euros. Boyfriend bought a 2GB laptop with equally good savings. Spent a day in Woodbury Common, was tough on the feet but got some good stuff. Not as much on the shelves though as before Christmas, lots of sale stuff but main stores like Hilfiger, Ralph Lauren etc still stock everything. Even though it was very quiet we found the sales staff unbearably slow and disinterested. Would say it was a nightmare before Christmas. Went to A and F on 5th Avenue, was outside when it opened and it was busy immediately. Very loud music and it was pitch dark, felt like an old fogie (i'm only 28), found it hard to shop there as couldn't see where everything was, some experience. Also hard to tell if the clothes were for men or women as all colours (even pink) the same.

Went to the Met and the Natural History Museum, spent about 3 hours in each so very time consuming for a short holiday, expensive too $20 and $15 respectively to get in.

Saw Phantom of the Opera, got the tickets at the TKS booth on 46th ST. for $61 which was half price. Great show, amazing sets and I don't even like musicals but would encourage people to go.

Carriage ride in Central Park was obligatory, $35 for 20 mins, and $55 for 40 mins. Relaxing and pleasant after a day walking around.

Went to Empire State Building around 11.30pm, no queues, better at night too but still not really worth it but something everyone does I suppose. It's very cold and windy at the top!

Temps were just below zero when we were there and there was light snow but it's dry so to us felt like 5oC. A good coat and scarf is enough, you don't need to be all bundled up like the locals.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Good report, cheers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

How was Contnental to fly with? I'm heading over on Thursday with them. Much in the way of inflight entertainment, how was the food etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

ro_chez wrote: »
    How was Contnental to fly with? I'm heading over on Thursday with them. Much in the way of inflight entertainment, how was the food etc?

They were fine. Food was standard airline food. Going over I was on a plane with a row of seats by the windows and 4 in the middle, each seat had its own tv with 6 stations (episodes of House and CSI, cartoons, films, documentaries), you have to pay for alcohol but minerals are free. Coming back it was 2 rows of 3 and only one tiny tv above our heads every few rows, impossible to watch but at least it's only 5 hours. Seems to be pot luck depending on what plane you get, if you go into seat selection you can see the layout so you'll know in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

http://www.seatguru.com/ good website I found with info on services provided on flights.

Advertisement