Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip-Hop 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

It is alright. He's one of the few artists left that I will pay to hear.

He's very underrated imo. How the likes of Lil Wayne did better than him a few years ago is beyond me. His Mixtape Messiah series is genuinely one of the best outputs I've heard. Almost no one could touch him at that stage. Wayne got all the sales though, for very average albums.
    its because Chamillionaire has a strong personality & won't sell out & do **** pop songs like Wayne

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

MD1990 wrote: »
    its because Chamillionaire has a strong personality & won't sell out & do **** pop songs like Wayne

Couldn't agree more. The execs in Universal actually asked him to do a song with some actress off Gossip Girl a few years ago. It'd probably have sold a ton but the whole concept was ridiculous.

It's the same with Big Boi being told to do a cover of 'Lollipop'. I dunno who came up with the bright idea to tell one of the best of all time to cover that tripe, but they should have been fired on the spot.

Thankfully not all rappers are sell outs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Mr yesterday's news Wiz Khalifa has released a new mixtape called 'Taylor Allderdice' that can be downloaded for free here.

I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet but if it's anything like "Cush & Orange Juice" then it will be definitely worth a spin.

Couldn't agree more. The execs in Universal actually asked him to do a song with some actress off Gossip Girl a few years ago. It'd probably have sold a ton but the whole concept was ridiculous.

It's the same with Big Boi being told to do a cover of 'Lollipop'. I dunno who came up with the bright idea to tell one of the best of all time to cover that tripe, but they should have been fired on the spot.

Thankfully not all rappers are sell outs.
    he left the label
    but they won't let him release Venom
    so we might never hear it or a new album for a long time
    Lupe Fiasco's label are ****ing idiots making him release & record songs he doesn't want to release

Raekwon wrote: »
    Mr yesterday's news Wiz Khalifa has released a new mixtape called 'Taylor Allderdice' that can be downloaded for free here.

I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet but if it's anything like "Cush & Orange Juice" then it will be definitely worth a spin.
    its ok not a great tape..
    The Cruise is my favourite track
    a nice laidback,chill type of track

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »
    he left the label
    but they won't let him release Venom
    so we might never hear it or a new album for a long time

He has scrapped Venom completely. Forget about it.

Universal are *****. They wouldn't let him take old Pimp C verses to make a new tune, of which Cham was going to give all the profits to Pimp's family.

He's releasing a new album called "Playlist Poison". Hopefully it'll be out before the end of the year.

He's also releasing a music video for every track on the album. It mightn't be a video in the full blown sense, but it'll at least be a visual anyway. I can't wait for it.

I just came across a mixtape that was released 2 weeks ago in memory of Biggie. It's a mash of "Ready to Die" and "Born to Die" by Lana Del Rey called "Born Ready to Die".

It's pretty good. All Biggie's lyrics and then the instrumentals are hers. It gives a different twist to the album. It's not as good as the original but it's better than most stuff you'll hear this week.

Soundcloud

Download

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Huh must give cham a chance, never really liked what I heard from him which granted was only a few old songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,438 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Huh must give cham a chance, never really liked what I heard from him which granted was only a few old songs.

Check out mixtape messiah 2, absolutely brilliant

May as well it is free, plus lots of people are giving it good praise.

Mixtape Messiah 2?

• Advertisement

May as well it is free, plus lots of people are giving it good praise.

Mixtape Messiah 2?

Why stop at 2? There are 7 in the series.

#1 is a three disc mixtape. It's basically all about ruining the career of Mike "Mike Who?" Jones, and it succeeds. 61 tracks. Can't be found for free. Has to be bought. It is the most bought mixtape in Texas history, a serious achievement considering the size of Texas.

#2 is very good. Some classics on it. "Get Ya Umbrellas Out" is my favourite.

#3 is very good as well. You'll know the majority of instrumentals used on it. Lots of the big tracks around that time, as well as UGK/Outkast's Int'l Players Anthem.

#4 is my favourite from the series. IMO it's perfect as a mixtape. Just has everything on it. "My Life" is an unbelievably deep song. I didn't think Slim Thug had it in him to drop a verse like that.

#5 is a close second behind 4. Some excellent tunes on it.

I haven't got #6 on my iPod but I've heard a few songs and it's good.

#7 was the final output so he released 4 discs. The first two are original songs. The second two are chopped and screwed versions. Don't be put off by that, some of the CnS songs are actually better than the originals.

Also if you get 4-7 you'll find the Internet Nerd's tracks. There are 4 of them in total, one on each mixtape. Basically Cham raps from the perspective of a 'keyboard warrior' and uses some of the insults he has read around the internet on the track. They are brilliant. The highlight being Internet Nerds Attack on MM7. The beat is fantastic.

I couldn't recommend him any more. His MM series is better than the majority of albums that I've heard. It's just him on the mic saying what he wants to say. There are no record execs dictating what has to be said or done. Hopefully we'll hear more of this in the future now that he is going independent.

You can find most of his mixtapes here.

Oh and here's an interview that he did this week. It should tell you everything about where he is at at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Keep this in mind, by no means am i a chamillionaire fan, i usually find him quite bland.
    But that EP was ****in solid, very impressed with it, it has to be the best bit of rapping that I've heard that's been produced this year. bar one tune that was just gammy, it had some samples from scarface at the start and the instrumental was unbearable but the rest of it was good stuff.

This tune in particular stood out for me.

Looking forward to anything else he might release this year.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Keep this in mind, by no means am i a chamillionaire fan, i usually find him quite bland.
    But that EP was ****in solid, very impressed with it, it has to be the best bit of rapping that I've heard that's been produced this year. bar one tune that was just gammy, it had some samples from scarface at the start and the instrumental was unbearable but the rest of it was good stuff.

This tune in particular stood out for me.

Looking forward to anything else he might release this year.

Good choice of song. He got the feature right on that one with Saigon.

We should hopefully see more from him soon enough. He's building up to his album "Playlist Poison" so there should be a few more tracks. Cham is possibly the best in the game at self-promotion.

Someone like Game needs to get into a beef to sell. Cham is giving away merchandise on his site for completing tasks on it. You can win a 30-minute phone call with him, the jacket from the Ridin' Dirty video, signed plaques and artwork.

It's all about building a list of emails so that he can get in contact with people much quicker. I remember him saying once that he had 1 million email addresses that he had collected over the years. Most of them are out-of-date so he has started all over again.

Oh yea and he wrote to me on Twitter the other day. I'm kind of still on a high from that, so I won't hear a bad word said about him :pac:.

Underground artists do that stuff all the time, some more than others you kind of have to do it.

The Game is a great artist, but he is a major label rapper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Underground artists do that stuff all the time, some more than others you kind of have to do it.

The Game is a great artist, but he is a major label rapper.

was cham not a major label artist before or was he always indie? im pretty sure he was on a major before.

on game i think he use to be a great artist, imo your only as good as your last album and his last 2 have been duds, for me i havnt liked much from him really since doctors advocate and that was over 5 years ago.

its a valid point by jimmy, the games etc are at their best while there beefing with someone through their music imo.

He may well have been on a major label.
    He was not on Aftermath or the likes, with any producer of the calibre of Dre and others and other rappers like Em, Snoop and 50 with him is my point.

Chamillionaire will naturally be closer to his fan base, because it is smaller and he needs them more and he is probably just naturally a nice guy too.
    Nothing against him but he is a smaller artist despite his fame.

If we judged people by their last album then Eminem has not been good since 2004 imo.

He was not on Aftermath or the likes, with any producer of the calibre of Dre and others and other rappers like Em, Snoop and 50 with him is my point.

Chamillionaire will naturally be closer to his fan base, because it is smaller and he needs them more and he is probably just naturally a nice guy too.

If we judged people by their last album then Eminem has not been good since 2004 imo.

thats a good point on cham and his fan base, i think i heard before he refrains from swearing in his music so that might indicate that he is a nice chap :), but most artists who are indie have smaller fan bases , i suppose if there was massive demand for them they would be on a major.

I enjoyed recovery man, taught it was a great album. Taught em really re-invented himself on it, we are never going to get the old eminem back for lots of reasons so i reckon his new album (if there is one) will be similar to recovery.

but my point was that game use to be a great artist, you cant tell me that the red album was actually an indication that game is a great artist , to me if anything it was an indication of how much he has fallen off but the same can be said for a huge amount of rappers like 50, jay z etc its been years since these have actually put out a decent piece of work on a whole not just the odd good song here and there.

im not counting WTT either as kanye carried jigga all the way imo, found jay z unbearable at times on that album.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I haven't liked much of games work since LAX, he just bores me now, he gives too many shout outs and he's just becoming repetitive as fúck imo.

I also cant see cham making it big in the mainstream area ever again, he had his few singles and then just disappeared for a while. I'll still listen to his music though.

On recovery, nah it wasn't for me and its not the eminem i enjoy listening to.

Recovery was a very good album imo

was cham not a major label artist before or was he always indie? im pretty sure he was on a major before.

He was indie for years. Him and Paul Wall sold 100,000 copies of an album by driving all over the southern states and beyond promoting it.

The majors caught whiff of it and Universal was the one he chose. He did remarkably well though to get a 50:50 deal, which is almost unheard of. He also managed to retain 100% ownership of his website, again something that is completely unheard. He went in with the attitude that he knew he could make it, it was just a case of whether it was on his own or with a company.

After a few years with Universal he got out of the deal. He kept going behind their backs with releases. He aired one of his videos on UStream a few years ago. Universal went mental because it jeopardised their plans for putting it on youtube.

Then they interfered in his album so he's back to being an independent artist again. I think this could really work out for him. He'll have sole control over what he puts out, in essence it'll be almost like a mixtape that he's putting out. He might not get another "Ridin'" but who cares. As long as he's putting out music that he wants to make, and the fans want to hear then that's all that really matters.

He has enough money and businesses going that he could up and leave no and it'd make no difference.
    thats a good point on cham and his fan base, i think i heard before he refrains from swearing in his music so that might indicate that he is a nice chap :), but most artists who are indie have smaller fan bases , i suppose if there was massive demand for them they would be on a major.

Yea that's true about Cham. He never really cursed at all. But he was on a tour a few years ago in Norway I think and he didn't like the idea of 20,000 white kids singing along with him and saying n***a. Therefore he decided to go completely sober with the lyrics.

His 2nd album "Ultimate Victory" has no curses at all on it. It's still a great album. It is also one of the very few rap albums ever to be released without a Parental Advisory sticker.

50 called him out over the whole not cursing thing, but good guy Cham swatted him away. After that Mike Jones beef I mentioned a few posts ago he hasn't been in any beefs at all. He also doesn't smoke, drink or do drugs.

The reason he hasn't released much lately is mainly because of the nonsense going on with his label. Another reason is that he got caught up in the technology world. He was invited to Stanford University to give a talk on entrepreneurship, and he features regularly at major tech conferences, giving his views on current technology or ways in which companies and artists can better utilise technology.

He is so much more than your average rapper it's unreal. Whatever the image is that you have of him from the "Ridin" video then scrap it because that's not the real Chamillionaire at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Has anyone heard Action Bronson x Party Supplies mixtape "Blue Chips" yet?

A video has been released for the track "Hookers at the Point"

The more I hear him the more he sounds like Ghostface, which isn't a bad thing, even though he does look like a white version of Rick Ross :D

I think Game is a great artist in general, he is getting better. He makes great mixtapes.

Haha, cheers for pointing that out I never noticed the lack of curses. Once it is not forced then it is all good curses or none.

Also cheers for mentioning his lecturing, I will be giving them a watch definitely.

What you are saying of him makes me think of Sage Francis, very much similar sounding in their outlook.

Haha, cheers for pointing that out I never noticed the lack of curses. Once it is not forced then it is all good curses or none.

Also cheers for mentioning his lecturing, I will be giving them a watch definitely.

What you are saying of him makes me think of Sage Francis, very much similar sounding in their outlook.

Almost no one would recognise that he doesn't curse unless they were told. It makes no difference to the quality of the song. Take that guy Emcee Jermaine (who was mentioned here last month) for example. His song "Crazy 88" was amazingly good. I had to watch an interview with him to realise that he hates cursing in every sense. Most rappers I'm convinced just throw the curses in there to sound tough.

Here's a link to his lecture in Stanford. He does it with QD3 aka the son of Quincy Jones. It's 48 minutes long so be awake watching it.

Here's another. This one is 70 minutes long and he talks about tech and business.

Here's another one where he's interviewed on stage in front of an audience.

He was also interviewed on Fox a while back being interviewed. Which is a bit ironic really considering he made two videos where he was dressed as a white version of Fox host Bill O'Reilly and he ripped him to pieces.

This is probably my favourite though. He stands up at a conference and asks the hosts a question. He doesn't talk at all really at this but it shows the interest he has. He probably has 5 times as much money as everyone else in the room put together.

I've heard of Sage Francis but I know almost nothing about him. Must check him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,438 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I love how Koop is finally getting the notice he deserves on this forum!

This is always on my mixtapes

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭ghostface ste

Can't wait til Fashawns new mixtape is out, supposed to be next week. Higher Learning Vol 2 was excellent

Would definitely recommend Sage Francis, just his music alone is great but him in general is very interesting.

Jason Calacanis and Chamillionaire, odd but in a good way.

I think Game is a great artist in general, he is getting better. He makes great mixtapes.

Well your wrong on the getting better part imo, I don't know how you can say an artist is getting better when they havnt relesed a good album in over 5 years. constant name dropping and reliance on features on just about every song is a clear indication that he is not getting better or improving because he's been like that since he first came on the scene.

His mixtapes of late are lazy album leftovers again full of features , in my eyes they didn't even sound like mixtapes. His best mixtapes were the g unot ones and all that hence the reason artists like game are at their best while beefing or dissing someone.

Like paddy said its very repetitive , every song and verse is predictable from him again he's not the only one but his best days are behind him. Just out of interest how do you think he is getting better ?

Well as I said I don't think Eminem has released a decent album in nearly 8 years, so it is opinion on what is good and what is not.

Well as I said I don't think Eminem has released a decent album in nearly 8 years, so it is opinion on what is good and what is not.

You said he is getting better so in other words you must think the red album is better than the documentary and the doctors advocate which is beyond stupid IMO because their is clearly no competion there.

It's not as if anyone said recovery was better than the mmlp etc but in all honesty the red album was terrible bar 2 or 3 songs and lax was very average bar 2 or 3 songs again.

there's no proof to argue your point the game is improving , it's the very opposite. But if it's your opinion it's a very naive one in my eyes because I taught you would be able to spot the obvious decline in his music, it's very clear to be fair.

• Advertisement

No point arguing opinion, but as I said he makes good mixtapes but you keep mentioning his albums. I like his albums but like you many don't but many do.

Advertisement