Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bus Eireann routes 109/109A Changes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

tom23 wrote: »
    why the stop in Blanch Centre at all is baffling. I could count on one hand how many people they pick up after 8. Most people tend to wander down to the slip road.

Drove into work Friday, saw a 109 at the 7.45am mark go up the road to service the B Shopping Centre. Took him at least 15 mins before he caught up with me at the half way house. Not impressed, because from the schedule I am looking at, there is no service going up that slip road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭tom23

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Nobody here can answer that, why don't you ask the muppets that actually insisted on the route.

info@nationaltransport.ie

I have been told that Bus Eireann did not want to serve the centre with the 109 but the NTA insisted on it.

The fact that peak services omit it in both directions is an admission that it is an unnecessary time wasteing diversion that inconveniences the vast majority of passengers.

Maybe a few the NTA fellows need to sit on the 109 while it struggles to get in and out of the Blanch Centre. Maybe that will change their mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Maybe a few the NTA fellows need to sit on the 109 while it struggles to get in and out of the Blanch Centre. Maybe that will change their mind.

That is actually a very good suggestion Tom23.

I tend to find that a flapping trench coat,a laptop and a mileage allowance do not make for good Public Transport appreciation...;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭malene

foggy_lad wrote: »
    only the buses in the morning and evening rush hours monday-friday by-pass the shopping centre, all the rest stop in the shopping centre.

ah crap!

malene wrote: »
    ah crap!

Please forward to NTA.ie

:D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Advertisement

I don't know if anyone gets the 09:30 to Cavan but I work late a lot of nights now and the journey takes 70/80 minutes with not a bit of traffic on the road. I have often made Navan at peak time on a bus in 65/70. Same bus, same driver and its torture, I'd cycle home faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Commuter109

I don't know if anyone gets the 09:30 to Cavan but I work late a lot of nights now and the journey takes 70/80 minutes with not a bit of traffic on the road. I have often made Navan at peak time on a bus in 65/70. Same bus, same driver and its torture, I'd cycle home faster.
    Blanch or no blanch 80 minutes to Navan at that time of night is scandalous . I got a 109a from the airport and despite the fact that it does Navan via dcu, ikea, Ashbourne , ratoath , and dunslaughlin I still got home quicker than you !

Today was my first day on the 109 route, getting in on the 7.20 Xpress was fab, getting home on the 5pm 109 was absolute torture, had to get off at the Ardboyne at 6.20 and walk from there. Give it 5 more mins and it would have taken 85 mins to reach the destination it should have got to by 6.05pm. There should be an M3 Xpress at 5 pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Blanch or no blanch 80 minutes to Navan at that time of night is scandalous . I got a 109a from the airport and despite the fact that it does Navan via dcu, ikea, Ashbourne , ratoath , and dunslaughlin I still got home quicker than you !
    The journey has to be done at 80Kph most of the way as anything more and the driver risks fines and penalty points for speeding!

The journey has to be done at 80Kph most of the way as anything more and the driver risks fines and penalty points for speeding!

Maybe so, but this driver is going way below the speed limit, he is a nice guy, cares about his job and thats fine. Before christmas, same driver, bus is jammed full, goes into the centre to stop and tell people he is full, stops again on the slip road and then in Clonee to tell people he is full. Ridiculous. A regular BE driver would of bypassed it and used a bit of savvy. Thursday night it actually took him 90 minutes? Now thats taking the biscuit.

Working all day and I finish at 8. Cant get to bus eireann before the 8:30 departure to Navan and then you have to wait around till 9:30 knowing that its going take at least 80 minutes and not a car on the road.

• Advertisement

I had the same driver twice over the christmas period, and he let 4-5 people stand on the bus, so compliance with the law isn't formost on his mind from what i saw.

Without looking at the timetable, I'm sure there are plenty of journey times quoted on that R109 timetable, that cant physically be done if sticking absolutely to speed limits

Took the 4.45pm today as opposed to the 5pm and that was even slower than the 5pm, getting into Navan a full 22 minutes behind schedule. Have forwarded these times to Bus Eireann as they do not correspond with the advertised schedule. They need an xpress for 5pm on the route.
    The morning express at 7.20 seems to meet the schedule with no problems. Why can't they except that the schedule cannot be met by not using the M3 and those Blanch and Clonnee stops.

Fiskar wrote: »
    Took the 4.45pm today as opposed to the 5pm and that was even slower than the 5pm, getting into Navan a full 22 minutes behind schedule. Have forwarded these times to Bus Eireann as they do not correspond with the advertised schedule. They need an xpress for 5pm on the route.
    The morning express at 7.20 seems to meet the schedule with no problems. Why can't they except that the schedule cannot be met by not using the M3 and those Blanch and Clonnee stops.
    You and others should forward any times to the nta rather than to bus eireann if there is ever to be hope of a resolution to your issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Talk to the hand

You and others should forward any times to the nta rather than to bus eireann if there is ever to be hope of a resolution to your issues.

Why shouldn't Bus Eireann be notified, after all they are the service provider in this instance?

Why shouldn't Bus Eireann be notified, after all they are the service provider in this instance?
    They are already aware of the times unless they dont keep records of when drivers start and finish journeys. They just chose to deny they are unable to stick to the unattainable timetables.

Done, and will keep on doing it to build a log of how disportionate the schedule is to the reality

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Maybe so, but this driver is going way below the speed limit, he is a nice guy, cares about his job and thats fine. Before christmas, same driver, bus is jammed full, goes into the centre to stop and tell people he is full, stops again on the slip road and then in Clonee to tell people he is full. Ridiculous. A regular BE driver would of bypassed it and used a bit of savvy. Thursday night it actually took him 90 minutes? Now thats taking the biscuit.

Working all day and I finish at 8. Cant get to bus eireann before the 8:30 departure to Navan and then you have to wait around till 9:30 knowing that its going take at least 80 minutes and not a car on the road.

Surely if he didn't turn up at all it would be worse and ye'd be left wondering what the blazes is going on ?

EDIT: Maybe we should bring back the old rules and not allow free travel during peak hours ?

It might help bus éirean throuh their current difficulty with seeking cost cutting measures. Less passengers=less buses=less drivers=lower costs

It might help bus éirean throuh their current difficulty with seeking cost cutting measures. Less passengers=less buses=less drivers=lower costs

Swings and roundabouts though,as that would leave many people with hugely increased heating and lighting bills as they would have to stay at home,rather than endlessly traversing the countryside in search of.......;)

parsi wrote: »
    Surely if he didn't turn up at all it would be worse and ye'd be left wondering what the blazes is going on ?

EDIT: Maybe we should bring back the old rules and not allow free travel during peak hours ?

Confused as to your reference to free travel but that aside, but is it to much to expect that a bus near the dead if night get home in reasonable fashion or am I expecting to much for my tax?

Or am I expecting to much that we have a central bus station not fit for purpose, or am I expecting to much that after a year and a bit leap has not made a dent in the way people pay for their tickets on bus eirean? That cash is king and also adds around ten mins on to journey time every Monday and Wednesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

Hi

I thought to highlight that commuters from Kells and Navan to Dublin can take the number 30 midnight Dublin to Donegal bus from Bus Aras seven nights a week, to Navan and Kells. Since 14th October the midnight 30 bus from Bus Aras has been stopping in both towns.

It leaves from the main entrance at Bus Aras and gets into Navan usually between 12.58am - 1.05am and into Kells about 1.15am-1.20am

Here is the link to the timetable for the Dublin to Donegal number 30 bus on buseireann.ie which indicates that the midnight bus from Dublin Bus Aras, since last October 14th, stops in Navan and Kells.

People can also take this bus at the airport at 12.20am seven nights a week to Navan and Kells

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1349436566-30.pdf

(I posted this note in another discussion on the nightrider 109N bus from Bus Aras and thought, since I hadn't noticed this service mentioned, it may be of interest to readers of this discussion. I am not connected to Bus Eireann, just a bus user, in case anyone queries why I have joined so recently:))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

hi

I think the link to the Dublin Donegal timetable in the last message is not working

I think this one below works, indicating that the midnight 30 bus from Dublin stops in Navan and Kells

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1360750243-030.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Geog1234

The Sillan service (which essentially parallels the 109 between Navan and Dublin & more or less parallels the 107 between Kingscourt, Nobber and Navan) has now been extended to UCD.

Their 16.35 hrs. journey from the city (Nassau Street) now uses the Port Tunnel and M3.

Details:http://www.sillan.ie/index.php/ucd

They also have a return bus from UCD (through service).

think Bus Éireann had an evening shuttle years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Good ole BE. 1605 from Navan on timetable is Via M3. I figured I would not make this service. I aimed for the 1635 leaving Navan town. The bus arrived at 1635 at ardboyne. Great stuff. To my surprise it takes M3. Must be the 1605 running 30mins behind. Flying along only to crawl up to Blanch SC in the roadworks.
    Least a person got off at Blanch SC.no traffic on exit out. Phew.

Don't avail of BE on a regular basis. Private coach wen commuting to city Ctr on days I work.

Pity the applicable limit wasnt 50km!

Transport
    New rights for bus and coach passengers in EU
    By Isabelle Smets | Friday 01 March 2013

Passengers in bus and coach transport will now be better protected under new EU rules that came into force on 1 March. Regulation 181/2011 lays down passenger rights similar to those already in force for air, rail and boat transport.

For journeys of more than 250 kms, passengers can now claim a refund of the full price of the ticket or rerouting in case of overbooking, cancellation or delays of more than two hours from the estimated time of departure. If the transport company does not offer the possibility of rerouting, the passenger can also claim a refund for the full price of the ticket, as well as compensation of 50% of the ticket price.

For journeys of more than three hours and over 250 kms, the passenger can claim assistance free of charge in case of a cancellation or delay of more than 90 minutes, meaning snacks, meals, refreshments and if necessary, a hotel room or other form of accommodation. The company can limit the price of the accommodation to €80 per night and the duration to two nights (but this sum does not include transport between the station and the lodgings). The right to accommodation does not apply if the cancellation or delay is due to weather conditions or natural disasters, which compromise the safe use of the service.

In the case of a road accident, compensation will be provided for injury or death. The amount of compensation will be calculated according to national law, but the maximum amount provided for cannot be less than €220,000 per passenger and €1,200 per piece of luggage.

Disabled persons and those with reduced mobility now have the right to free assistance in certain designated bus terminals (a list is due to be published online by the European Commission) and on board vehicles. Where necessary, such persons may be accompanied by a person of their choice to provide the assistance required.

It now remains to be seen how the new rules will be put into practice. The Commission will hold a meeting with competent authorities this autumn.

Again don't understand the policy of standing on bus eireann, good old driver on the 9:30 from bus aras had four people standing, can someone tell me cathergorically is this breaking the law?

I hope some from bus eireann is reading this.

Again don't understand the policy of standing on bus eireann, good old driver on the 9:30 from bus aras had four people standing, can someone tell me cathergorically is this breaking the law?

Yes it is breaking the law as the vehicle is most likely not rated to carry any standees and was most likely doing more than 40mph at times when people were standing.

You should make a complaint to the NTA.

Yes it is breaking the law as the vehicle is most likely not rated to carry any standees and was most likely doing more than 40mph at times when people were standing.

You should make a complaint to the NTA.

Well this guy is driving a private bus and does it on a regular basis, crazy. One of these days he won't get away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Kutebride

I was on the 2030 last night and people standing also.

Advertisement