Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Rugby and Sevens

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

always good to see some family photos in an irishrugby.ie link!

:shamelessbrag:

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭muscleshirt

JustinDee wrote: »
    Yesterday's announcement regarding the expanded Club Sevens competition was ignored by every pundit bar one.

If the media isn't interested in using Sevens as anything but a stick to beat with, then who's to say anyone else is even remotely clicked to it.

Next bit of news, to be out this week, will probably yield some commentary but yet again, the grassroots level of the sport in Ireland will go largely ignored by those who think that club rugby consists of Division 1A and nothing else.
    the irfu are just tinkering
    with 7s,you need some specialst 7s coaches trained in the game first.form some kind of intl squad and enter in the european league at some level,this is going to be a pro game and we need to take it serious or forget it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

the irfu are just tinkering
    with 7s,you need some specialst 7s coaches trained in the game first.form some kind of intl squad and enter in the european league at some level,this is going to be a pro game and we need to take it serious or forget it

The Club Sevens programme is hardly "tinkering" and as I mentioned earlier, more news to come. You don't just come up with a concept and plonk it in without building something behind it to sustain it.
    Seriously.

The Club Sevens programme is hardly "tinkering" and as I mentioned earlier, more news to come. You don't just come up with a concept and plonk it in without building something behind it to sustain it.
    Seriously.
    what is the more news? what is the big secret? are they going to pick a national squad from the club 7s or is it going to be an end of season fun event,you can't plonk or play sevens the same way as 15s,you need the concept of coaching first ,good olde ireland knows better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Leinster7

7's.... another fine example of the complete amateurism at the top of the IRFU.

Scotland have had a professional 7's team for 5 years now... :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Leinster7 wrote: »

Has there been much of a benefit to them for having one?

Leinster7 wrote: »

browns pronouncement today from the irfu does't give much hope for a proper 7s structure,the usual..limited resourses/cost 1m/stripping players from the provinces/any excuse no positives..
    we are left with the pig and porter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Leinster senior 7s is on in DLSP rfc tomorrow night.
    Dont know what way the comp is structured but Old Wesley, Barnhall, Suttonians and St Marys are in one group.

browns pronouncement today from the irfu does't give much hope for a proper 7s structure,the usual..limited resourses/cost 1m/stripping players from the provinces/any excuse no positives..
    we are left with the pig and porter
    There was a 7s comp held in the Comp last saturday that had 64 teams competing at u15 and u18 level. Anymore news about it?

• Advertisement

ormond lad wrote: »
    Leinster senior 7s is on in DLSP rfc tomorrow night.
    Dont know what way the comp is structured but Old Wesley, Barnhall, Suttonians and St Marys are in one group.
    4 x groups of 4. Cup, Plate, bowl competition.
    Both Cup finalists will qualify for the All-Ireland which takes place on May 12th at Buccs.
    Winner of that goes to Amsterdam Sevens in May along with winner of Women's competition.
    Ulster event also tonight at Bel Quins.
    Munster at Bruff tomorrow. Connacht postponed. Trying to hold on May 5th depending on availability of teams.

There was a 7s comp held in the Comp last saturday that had 64 teams competing at u15 and u18 level. Anymore news about it?
    http://www.munsterrugby.ie/domestic/news/10428.php

Clontarf won the Leinster Senior 7s and Marys won the Bowl which were held in kilternan tonight

Clontarf won the Leinster Senior 7s and Marys won the Bowl which were held in kilternan tonight
    Belvo won the plate.
    Malone won the Cup in Ulster.
    Will have more results etc out later on today or early tomorrow.

shannon won the munster senior 7s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

For 7s in Rio Ireland would have to place in top 8 (!!) of world 7s tourney ?

Against massive oppositon from all the current "decent at 15s but 7s is tertiary" countries like England, France, Oz. Not to mention serious teams like NZ, SA, Fiji, everyone else.

I think its worth a tilt, but not a good bet for the IRFU... sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sergeblanco

Hi lads,

Have any of ye seen this article on the plight of Irish 7s? Would be interested to see what people think about it?

http://murraykinsella.wordpress.com/2012/05/09/the-plight-of-irish-7s/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Hi lads,

Have any of ye seen this article on the plight of Irish 7s? Would be interested to see what people think about it?

http://murraykinsella.wordpress.com/2012/05/09/the-plight-of-irish-7s/

Great first post, that was an excellent read.

If it's true that Ireland haven't entered for the 2013 World Cup, the IRFU should be embarrassed and ashamed. It really is a joke we don't enter in any leg of the circuit

Ya it's definitely an interesting and informative read...

...the lack of a team for the 2013 WC is the most shocking bit, what a backwards step?! Whatever about the circuit, a team in the world cup should surely be a must!!!

its_phil wrote: »
    Great first post, that was an excellent read.

If it's true that Ireland haven't entered for the 2013 World Cup, the IRFU should be embarrassed and ashamed. It really is a joke we don't enter in any leg of the circuit
    Its not a joke nor is it "shameful". It is a carefully researched and prepared position, taking all factors into account.

People here talk about the cost of accommodation and flights being covered by IRB. These are a fraction of what it costs to contract players to actually play during the series. There is more to it than just funding a "coaching team to travel".

As I said before here, and as per IRFU CEO, one of the reasons on the current stance no decision on Men's international Sevens (nobody seems to be mentioning the Women's international side...) will be made final until the qualification criteria for the Olympic Games are finalised and made known.

• Advertisement

I would argue against it being a researched and prepared position. The provincial tournaments that have been the IRFU's back up to not having a national team have been a major flop 2 years in a row - where was the research and preparation put to remedy last year's poor turnouts and standards? All past 7s WCs have been given maybe 2/3 weeks of research and preparation for squads to be ready. Surely research shows that you need to practice playing 7s at the highest standard in order to be prepared for playing at that standard. If there has been genuine research and preparation put into an Irish 7s platform, why is it not openly visible or shown to the public and playing population?

Flights and accommodation are huge costs and the fact that they are being paid for is like staring a gift horse in the mouth - why not avail of such supports? 7s could be made part of any academy, development or provincial contracts incurring no further costs for bringing such players on circuit. Furthermore, amateurs would surely eat their hats to have a chance at playing on the IRB circuit or in the Olympics - they would not necessarily need to be paid and if so I'm sure a small bursary would suffice. They're already training 4 days a week with their club and playing matches on Saturdays for pittance.

Let's gladly and openly mention women's rugby so! The IRFU's treatment of the women's game has been a shambles this year - this petition is prime evidence of the lack of preparation and research put into Irish rugby outside of its big professional teams: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/televising-womans-rugby/ The decision to make a women's 7s team for 2012 was made at the 11th hour and was conveniently only made after such a petition was widely disseminated. The women's full 15 and 7s teams are prime examples of the potential for Irish rugby "minority teams" that is not being exploited.

Playing the waiting game for the Olympics is another misconceived tactic. The Olympics is the ultimate goal but why wait around for qualification criteria to be confirmed? No matter what, Ireland will need to have a practised team at high standards to qualify so why not pre-empt it and get a team up and running so we have a running start rather than playing catch up....again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Its not a joke nor is it "shameful". It is a carefully researched and prepared position, taking all factors into account.

People here talk about the cost of accommodation and flights being covered by IRB. These are a fraction of what it costs to contract players to actually play during the series. There is more to it than just funding a "coaching team to travel".

As I said before here, and as per IRFU CEO, one of the reasons on the current stance no decision on Men's international Sevens (nobody seems to be mentioning the Women's international side...) will be made final until the qualification criteria for the Olympic Games are finalised and made known.
    I half agree with you about the IRB series since those players would need to be at least semi-professional however I do beleive that it would be a positive and affordable for sevens in Ireland to send a team on a shoe-string budget to the European Championships and the World Cup next year (if we qualified).

I do think it is somewhat shameful that we are not entering the next RWC in sevens.

I half agree with you about the IRB series since those players would need to be at least semi-professional however I do beleive that it would be a positive and affordable for sevens in Ireland to send a team on a shoe-string budget to the European Championships and the World Cup next year (if we qualified).

I do think it is somewhat shameful that we are not entering the next RWC in sevens.

How affordable would the relevant player contracts be? Rather than entering just for the sake of it, how about if the Men's side was to happen that it is done properly?

Every element of running Sevens is taken into consideration and in my own personal view, three years is plenty of time to prepare for Olympics, which is the ideal time to launch this form of the game (and rugby union), were Ireland to enter and qualify.

Also I'll add in reply to the blogger's presumption above, that work behind getting the Women's international Sevens side up and running began middle of last year.

Have a good weekend (All-Ireland Club Sevens on in Buccs tomorrow. Everyone welcome to pop by and say hi and watch some of the clubs action)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Would hosting a leg of the IRB Sevens World Series not partly pay for the Sevens team? I've read about many international sevens sides being "self-funding".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Would hosting a leg of the IRB Sevens World Series not partly pay for the Sevens team? I've read about many international sevens sides being "self-funding".

20,000 (tickets) x 35 (euro per ticket) = 700,000 - 250,000 (Aviva rent) = 450,000.

Of course there's more expenses than just the Aviva rent (foreign teams accommodation and travel may have to be paid for the by the host nation I don't know) and the calculation if pretty simplistic but Sevens is a party and if managed right could be profitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Its not a joke nor is it "shameful".

What that Ireland aren't entering into a premier world rugby tournament? I'd call that a joke and shameful.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ireland would have to actually be awarded a leg of the 7s tournament.

I can't say I'm overly perturbed about Ireland not fielding a 7s side. I enjoy watching the odd game, but its not rugby. I also think it has exceptionally limited use in developing players for 15s.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

We should stay out of 7s and lot leak a penny of the limited budget we have on this side show.

Justin, if "work behind getting the Women's international Sevens side up and running began middle of last year" why was the coach of the Irish womens 7s team only approached for the position a month ago?

In response to the comments of "exceptionally limited use in developing players for 15s" and a "side show" I'm interested in dealing with facts here. New Zealand are the best rugby team in the world and best rugby playing nation of all time, that is an objective fact. So...let's look at their 2011 world cup winning squad - who of them has played 7s for New Zealand???

Israel Dagg
    Corey Jane
    Ma'a Nonu
    Mils Muliaina
    Adam Thomson
    Victor Vito
    Isaia Toeava

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I would put forth that all those players would have come through regardless of playing 7s.

Its a completely different game.

Advertisement