Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In the Noc-Light: Kharn

• 23-06-2009 11:09pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As I mentioned earlier, I am next on the hit list here, but we didn't start the thread as I was away in France until today, so you may begin your questioning!

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

1. Best band at Hellfest? :)

2. What should I listen to, right now?

3. Favourite Transformer?

4. Favourite beer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

1. What pisses you off about society?

2. What's the worst thing you've witnessed happening on a night out?

3. What do you feel are Boards strengths and weaknesses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

What got you into playing guitar?

Your dream factory guitar (no custom shop stuff)?

Are you jealous of my MK2?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

What's your favourite fruit juice flavour?

What's cooler, shiny or colourful?

Is the deliberate societal shift away from a consumerist model based on consumption fuelling economic growth allowing for a lifestyle of long hours and high living towards a more relaxed and quality of life oriented culture an inevitable side effect of economic difficulties?

Is there anything cuter than a puppy?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Favourite childhood sweet?

What's been your worst holiday experience?

Most interesting thing you've learned/seen this week?

Do you do hats?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Do you like abba?

guiltey pleasure band?

favourite sweets?

whats your favourite holiday destination?

is having a beard scratchy?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

1. Best band at Hellfest? :)

2. What should I listen to, right now?

3. Favourite Transformer?

4. Favourite beer?

1) Best band at Hellfest - tough one, but it's either Wolves in the Throne Room or Ufomammut. Great performances from Electric Wizard and Coalesce too.

2) Right now, I'd suggest some Wolves in the Throne Room.

3) I had Metroplex as a kid, he was pretty awesome so I think maybe him.

4) Don't drink anymore and never drank beer when I did. My favourite tipples (in no real order) were Cider, Gin & Bitter Lemon and Buckfast :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

What hour is your favourite?

What story would you like to tell grandkids? (if you had them)

If you could own any animal what would it be and why?

Have you ever come close to shaving your beard?

Do you like ClubMilks?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭trowelled

What's your fondest memory?

Will you dance with me at the next beers? (I will get you noct boys dancing)

Where in the world woud you like to travel to most?

Do you like cheese?

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    1. What pisses you off about society?

2. What's the worst thing you've witnessed happening on a night out?

3. What do you feel are Boards strengths and weaknesses?

1) So many things :D Ultimately, nobody wants to learn how to do things anymore and nobody seems to have a problem with the populace's knowledge base shrinking when it should be expanding at a rate of knots. Everyone needs stuff handed to them instead of engaging the grey matter for a more satisfying experience of learning something and knowing that it's knowledge you've gained for yourself. But this is part of what J-Cloth are here to fix :D

2) tbh, I've never seen anything relly harsh and that's having been a hotel and bar worker for 5 years of my professional life. I've seen assaults and I've seen big gang fights and all that, but possibly the worst was when one of our regular female customers in the night club I worked in during college arrived back in just as we were getting the last of the punters out and she'd had the seven shades of shizzle beaten out of her. 4 of our bouncers went after the scumbag that did it and he certainly regretted it.

3) Boards' biggest strength is in it's ability to give anyone a place they might be able to belong to and be a part of a real community. Personally, most of my best friends and a few of my past girlfriends have been boardsies. I've got a few jobs and places to live out of knowing boardsies too. To be working for the site now is nothing short of a dream come true for me, so I'm very keen to build on what we've created here.

It's only real weakness is that we have to enforce site wide rules which doesn't suit everyone and a very vocal minority cannot seem to accept that we have to try and suit the majority and that they can't have it all their own way.

• Advertisement

Onkle wrote: »
    What got you into playing guitar?

Your dream factory guitar (no custom shop stuff)?

Are you jealous of my MK2?

1) I have always been a singer and was in a school concert with a mash-up of a few other lads and we played some songs. That was my first taste of being in a "band" of any description. After that, I decided I wanted to learn the guitar and my best mate was thinking the same thing at the time, so we both started together and started a band not long after that.

2) Dream guitar is probably a Gibson SG - I have one tattooed on my left arm :D

3) Not really jealous of it, but I wouldn't mind having one of my own :p

What's your favourite fruit juice flavour?

What's cooler, shiny or colourful?

Is the deliberate societal shift away from a consumerist model based on consumption fuelling economic growth allowing for a lifestyle of long hours and high living towards a more relaxed and quality of life oriented culture an inevitable side effect of economic difficulties?

Is there anything cuter than a puppy?

1) Orange I'd say, but I'm partial to a lot of different joooses.

2) Shiney

3) It's a partial case of people finding out the hard way that they have to live within their means and finding out that you can still be a complete person and have a good life without that 50" LCD TV

4) A kitty.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,129 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Is Liam Neeson badass or what?

Alicat wrote: »
    Favourite childhood sweet?

What's been your worst holiday experience?

Most interesting thing you've learned/seen this week?

Do you do hats?

1) Jaysus, that's a tough one... It's kinda like asking me which was my favourite night's sleep :D At a pinch, I'd say Smileys.

2) Second time I went snowboarding with a load of boardsies to Livingo in Italy. I'd just broken up with my then girlfriend and was looking forward to going mad and forgetting about it for a week and woke up on day one of the trip in Italy with tonsilitis that I'd gotten from her! Spent the week in bed venturing out very little. Then got back to Galway (where I was living and working at the time) and tried filling out the insurance claim form to get some of my money back and couldn't figure out how to. Asked my boss who had 20 years experience in the insurance industry (we were an insurance and financial services software company) to help and he couldn't figure it out either and I just drew a line under the whole thing and said "fupp it!"

3) Most interesting thing I've seen this week was one of the areas at Hellfest that was made up of galvanised metal "castles" with patterns cut into them and torches and a in the evening it looked amazing. I think I have pics, will post at some stage.
    Most interesting thing I learned was that I still can speak some French with a reasonable degree of accuracy :)

4) I have nothing against hats only that most tend not to fit me cause I've a bit of a big head *ahem* and the addition of lots of hair makes it more akward. When I was younger I had a collection of mad hats. They included one of those Deer Hunter ones, a knitted grey beret and a few others. I do have a silly sombrero too. But it's rare that I wear a hat.

Do you like abba?

guiltey pleasure band?

favourite sweets?

whats your favourite holiday destination?

is having a beard scratchy?

1) I respect and admire Abba for all they have given music (and they have given a hell of a lot). However, musically, they're just not my cuppa tea at all, but that wouldn't stop me singing along if I heard them in the pub :)

2) Guilty Pleasure band, I'd say Dragonforce. Saw them this weekend and whilst I know they're awful cheese and power metal muck, there's something about them that puts a smile on my face every time I hear them.

3) Sweets - too many to mention, but current favourite is probably a Double Decker.

4) I've been to France 3 times now and have loved the vibe I got in that country every time. I can forsee a longer trip there in my future.

5) It's scratchy when you're growing it - it gets to a certain length that's not quite beard, but definitely more than stubble and it's itchy as hell. Once it gets to proper "beard" though, it's grand except for the people that you might be hugging or kissing :)

star-pants wrote: »
    What hour is your favourite?

What story would you like to tell grandkids? (if you had them)

If you could own any animal what would it be and why?

Have you ever come close to shaving your beard?

Do you like ClubMilks?

1) I'd say the hour between 4 and 5am :) Not sure why, I think it's probably cause it was the quietest time for me when I was working night shifts and all seemed at peace with the world.

2) Jaysus, I don't know. I really don't. I have done some daft things in my life and some of them are definitely worth telling, but I don't know if that'd inspire them to madness or come across as a "heed my warning!" I'd definitely tell them about trips to music festivals and gigs etc

3) Some manner of big cat I'd say cause they're really cute when they're small, but an embodiment of predator when they're older. I would only "own" one though if I had a huge reserve of natural habitat for said cat and it was effectively able to live wild and occasionally swing by my "observation window" to let me know it was still alive and kicking :)

4) I did have to shave my beard when I entered the service industry - it was the same length as it is now and it sucked, but had to be done as I needed a job and they weren't overly enamoured with long hair and a wild beard. Currently, I've thought about it a couple of times, but not in any serious way.

5) I love Club Milks - especially with Tea!

trowelled wrote: »
    What's your fondest memory?

Will you dance with me at the next beers? (I will get you noct boys dancing)

Where in the world woud you like to travel to most?

Do you like cheese?

1) Playing my first gig with my first band in the town hall in Castlebar - seeing 400+ people cheering for something I was a part of was mind blowing. Very little compares to the high of a public performance going well and a crowd loving it.

2) I really don't like dancing, I feel very self concious about it and uncomfortable in that sort of setting.

3) Canada (Toronto specifically I think), Seattle, New Orleans and some parts of Australia.

4) Kinda - I love cheese and onion crisps... :D

Overheal wrote: »
    Is Liam Neeson badass or what?

Totally bad ass! "Taken" only re-enforced that for everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

If you were a cat what colour would you be?

what tv shows do you like?

What did you want to be when you were younger?

what are you now?

are you tall?

have you ever dressed up as a girl?

do your parents annoy you?

you said you have a guitar tatoo any others?

like kiddies?

favourite pizza?

do you hate anyone,like not really dislike proper hatred?

if you had to be named mr.something
    what would you like to be known as?

How do you like your tea?

What were the toilets like at Hellfest?

I was some documentary on Virtual worlds tonight. They reckoned that 80% of internet users will have a virtual avatar come 2011.
    Does that sound like Bullschiesse to you?

Best perk Dav has recieved working for boards?

Top 5 favorite forums?

Do you have any favorites food combos that horrify other?

What would todays theme tune have been?

• Advertisement

If you were a cat what colour would you be?

what tv shows do you like?

What did you want to be when you were younger?

what are you now?

are you tall?

have you ever dressed up as a girl?

do your parents annoy you?

you said you have a guitar tatoo any others?

like kiddies?

favourite pizza?

do you hate anyone,like not really dislike proper hatred?

if you had to be named mr.something
    what would you like to be known as?

1) Black - more Ninja like :)

2) Sci-Fi mostly. Recently finished Battlestar Galactica (the original was my favourite as a kid), am currently watching House and The Unit. Top Gear gets a worthy mention as it usually makes me laugh and there's fast cars!

3) I wanted to be a Colonial Viper pilot when I was younger (the fighters from Battlestar) :)

4) I'm a Community Manager for boards.ie and guitarist in a band and catcher for a softball team and a friend to many.

5) I'm 6' in height - some think that's tall, I think it's kinda average.

6) Twice - once for a drag party my mates were having (wore one of my mother's old ball gowns from when she used to be a singer in a cabaret) and once for SSF last Christmas Beers when orestes, Onkle and myself sang the "3 Little Maids" song from the Mikado.

7) My dad's been dead for 14 years, and that's kinda annoying :) I never got to know him as an adult (died the day before my 17th bithday) and I'm honestly not sure how we'd have gotten on. My parents had been seperated for years before he died, so he was always somewhat absent.

My mother and I are at a stage where we more or less get on. We didn't speak for a long time and it was not plesant living under the same roof and not talking. But things are somewhat better and there's a de-militarised zone around certain topics that may or may not ever get worked on.

8) I have the binary code of the date of my dad's death tattooed down the left side of my back. Have another 2 planned: 1 is a series of blood drops on my lower left leg and the other is a battered and abused Batman mask from The Dark Knight Returns (Frank Miller and Lynn Varley comic) that'll go on my right shoulder. I have another one in mind, but it needs a lot more thought. Basically, it'll reflect the 4 changing seasons and the natural cycle of the Earth.

9) Not really and I could never eat one whole! :p Kids, like people are evaluated on an individual basis for me, some I like, some are little ****s that need a slap and some manners.

10) Not really a Pizza eater.

11) I used to hate several people. I have serious anger management issues, but giving up some of the nefarious activities I used to partake in and some counselling has helped me though that. My life is better without hatred. Now, I just tend to pity people.

12) That's a tough one - Mr Waldron I suppose since it's my name :D Let me think about that one...

Moonbaby wrote: »
    How do you like your tea?

What were the toilets like at Hellfest?

I was some documentary on Virtual worlds tonight. They reckoned that 80% of internet users will have a virtual avatar come 2011.
    Does that sound like Bullschiesse to you?

Best perk Dav has recieved working for boards?

Top 5 favorite forums?

Do you have any favorites food combos that horrify other?

What would todays theme tune have been?

1) Strong, lots of milk, no sugar (also, has to be Lyons :)).

2) Words cannot describe how horrific they were. Thinking about it now is making me queasy :(

3) I have an internet avatar and have had it for 12 years - you're talking to it :D Not entirely sure what the question means beyond that, please feel free to elaborate.

4) Being part of the "decision making" team for this wonderful place I call home on the Internet. That's kinda my job more than a perk, but it's a joyous thing for me.

5) In no particular order: Nocturnal (of course :p), Games, XBox, Sex & Sexuality and Moderators.

6) I wouldn't say so, I'm very conservative with food.

7) Shellac's "Be Prepared" which you can hear here! :)

Kharn wrote: »
    3) I have an internet avatar and have had it for 12 years - you're talking to it :D Not entirely sure what the question means beyond that, please feel free to elaborate.

That might explain the statistic. The doco was about WOW type stuff. I was getting worried I'd have to start planning ensembles for Moonbaby. :rolleyes:
    But now that you mention it, When you go and revisit Kharn -12 years....What do you make of him?

What would we be surprised to know about you? (I'm surprised by the anger management issues...You have a contentedly placid air about you)

If you could magically acquire one skill....what would you chose?

What is the last great book you read?

Your favorite posession?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

How do you take your steak? Burnt to a crisp or bloody as hell?

whats your favourite jimmy bond movie?

favourite jimmy bond bad guy and why?

Favourite book?

Favourite movie?

Favourite book to movie adaptation?

Favourite comedian?

Do you get annoyed with these "what is your favourite...." questions?

• Moderators Posts: 51,683 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Any type of music that you don't like??

If you were a super-powered animal, what animal would you be and what powers would you have??

Who would you like to hit in the face with a large fish??

If you could have your band tour with any 2 bands, which bands would you pick??

Mighty Mouse or Batfink?? :P

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Anywhere in the world you would love to move and live in, where would you choose and why?

Do you like floods? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Kharn wrote: »
    1) I respect and admire Abba for all they have given music (and they have given a hell of a lot). However, musically, they're just not my cuppa tea at all, but that wouldn't stop me singing along if I heard them in the pub :)

Do you say thank you for the music, the songs they're singing?:pac:

Moonbaby wrote: »
    That might explain the statistic. The doco was about WOW type stuff. I was getting worried I'd have to start planning ensembles for Moonbaby. :rolleyes:
    But now that you mention it, When you go and revisit Kharn -12 years....What do you make of him?

What would we be surprised to know about you? (I'm surprised by the anger management issues...You have a contentedly placid air about you)

If you could magically acquire one skill....what would you chose?

What is the last great book you read?

Your favorite posession?

1) hahah, Don't know about that. Never played WoW myself, I have a life :p Kharn isn't quite me, but there's a lot of him in me. We've both grown up in different ways over the last number of years. I sometimes cringe looking at older posts Kharn's made here on boards or on other sites I used to frequent but at the same time, that's who I was and it was part of the on-going journey that got me to where I am today.

2) hmmm, not sure really. I have a placid air about me now cause I sought professional help for my depression and anger management and mostly because I really wanted to change who I was cause I hated who I was.

It might surprise you all to know that I'm actually very shy and reserved when I'm in a new or strange awkward social situation and/or with people I don't know.

3) This is a real tough one - if we're talking actual skill, then I think I'd love to be able to fly a plane. If we're talking comic book super power type affair, then I'd have to say something like Sylar/Peter Petrelli's ability to do what others can do so I could be an awesome guitar player or martial artist or something :)

4) I brought the afore mentioned Frank Miller's "Dark Knight Returns" with me to France on holiday and read it through twice whilst over there. May not constitute a great book for most people, but it's one of my favourites.

5) Probably my PC cause it has so much of my life on it :) That or my guitars. My Bat'leth in a close third place.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Favourite / best / funniest memories of WestEros Galway? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Do you have an interest in politics?

How many musical instruments can you play?

Cake or death?

If you were a Pokemon what type would you be?

If you could invite 5 guests (dead or living) to a dinner party, who would they be?

Are you happy with the way The Nocturnal Forum has progressed over the last year? Any regrets about supporting it from day 1? :P

Do you approve of the proposal to rename The Lair and change it to "The Barn of Kharn"?
    EDIT: Just noticed your surname. How about "The Waldron Cauldron"? :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement