Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tax error resulting in 10'000 bill

• 30-01-2014 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

In 2012 my husband received notice from revenue that he owed 10'201 euro in taxes as a result of his accountant 'overlooking' a 6 month period of unemployment in 2008. He was told by revenue it was an error on the agents behalf and the agent claims its revenue. We have managed to pay 100 per month after negotiations however we are not getting letters threatening court action if we do not pay up. My husband lost his job in 2012 and was unemployed till last month when he went abroad hoping to find work. I have been a stay at home mum and was wondering if I can claim any benefits? Or what does my husband need to do regarding his tax bill since he is trying to get work and currently we are sustaining ourselves financially on a compensations cheque as a result of road accident. Any ideas or suggestions re tax bill and or my status, working full time is not an option. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Alan Shore

I don't think that the reason was social welfare. How could he owe €10,200 on 6 months social welfare. Even if he was paying 52% that would mean he received €20,000 in 6 months.

Are you sure that was the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I'm sorry but I don't think an online forum is the appropriate place to be seeking advice.

I understand that you are in financial difficulty but you might try to contact MABS or some other third party to negotiate on your behalf.

Best of luck with it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement