Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Becoming a Real Runner

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about the groin problem. Hopefully it is just the body objecting to the first speed session in a while. Even with a two mile warm up you might not have been fully loosened up - shoes seem less likely. Good decision to knock off the session. I am looking at my first track session since April this week and the prospect is ... worrying.

As far as the sleep thing goes - I usually try to stay up as long as possible when arriving in Ireland so that by the time I do go to sleep there is no chance I won't get a decent few hours in. After that thing settle down pretty quickly. Valerian or melatonin might be useful too.

Yeah PG, that's what I am hoping for RE the groin problem, don't think I have majorly torn anything, but I may end up running the race on saturday as a PMP session rather than racing it. As I say I'll do a few stretcheds tomorrow and if it is bothering me, I might even go see a Physio on Friday.

I really should have stayed up all through the day on saturday instaed of crashing from 7am-4pm My body now thinks that's my sleep time!! Hopefuly the second night of sleeplessness will do the trick and tonight will be better

Since the last update the groin has felt fine, almost like it never happened. I have a slight pain in my lower back which I think is causing the groin trouble when running so I have been stretching that a lot..... Thankfully my sleep has goten back to normal as well.

I decided to go out today to check out how I feel ahead of tomorrows race, plan was an easy 5 but to do one a race pace.

Well I don't know what was wrong with me today but the whole session felt tough. I did 3 warm up at around 8:30 pace and the HR monitor says Av HR of about 153 for these (:eek:) I seriously think there is something wrong with the monitor though, cos it had me in the 170's for my warm down (at about 9 min pace)

Anyway, I felt there was something in the groin but no big deal. I zipped into a fast mile which I did in 7:01 (169 HR). I have to be honest here, I felt a numb pain in the groin, when I slowed down for the coodown it felt a bit worse. From 1-10 I would just score it a 2 which would suggest it is grade 1 strain (not too serious) but I cannot risk further injury. I have just phoned my physio and hope to get an appointment for monday.

In the meantime waht about the race? Well let's face it, it is not a goal race so it is no biggie. I will probably run it anyway to get the t-shirt and goodie bag but at an easy pace, probably 85-90 minutes. If any one reading this wants a pacer for a time like this give me a shout.

anyway 5.4 miles in 8:32 av Pace

So, after I have last talked to you I haved ordered a Physio appointment. I will be seeing him on monday. In the meantime I decided to run but not race the fran duffy 10 mile race. for me it was practice for being the 2nhour pacer at the half.

My objective was really to be even paced even after running 4 miles up from parkwest to the park. soon I met my crew, OI, RachelJev and RK. WE flew the first mile then after 2 mile RK dropped out. I was shocked. I tried to keep a good pace but after 4 miles rachel jev waved us on (I was hoping she was gonna keep going) I decided to keep an even effort all the way through. after 9 mles I realised my last pacee (OI )was gonna break 1 hr 30 for the half so i decided to kick on for the laugh and did 1:27:59. OI broke 1:29. RJ broke 1:32, i really wish I had stayed with her.
    My last mile was at 6:30 pace and yet there was no groin pain, I can't wait for the all clear on monday!
    Mileage:
    9:15
    8:53
    8:52
    8:51
    8:37
    8:33
    8:49
    8:47
    9:03
    7:38
    decided to give a lash here, after .25 miles easy I gave it a lash
    mile:
    6:25 av, 6:10 max.
    Cool to go fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Thanks for sticking with me for the first bit, great to meet up today. I knew I wouldn't be able to hang on the whole way round, I didn't have the speed or the confidence! I could see you just up ahead for ages, but I knew if I caught you and OI up, I'd be stuffed for the hills. But don't worry, I'll be stalking you and RQ for the half and I'll be expecting you both to get me cups of water from the water stations - isn't that your job :D

Last weeks summary: 4.5 runs 40.5 miles, just 2.5 miles behind schedule despite the problems.

This week I am following 9 weeks to go in the P&D program a 48 mile week. 3 x 6m easy, a midweek 14 and a 16 at the weekend with 12 @ PMP.
    Tonight I went to the physio and it do indeed have a slight tear in the groin. The stuff he did to me was v painful but it does seem that it has made it a bit better; However I am under strict orders to do no speedwork this week.(Luckily none was planned anyway) but easy miles should be fine. I have to go back on friday and hopefully will get the all clear to do the PMP session on saturday.

Went out late tonight to do the first session of the week:
    5.3 miles @9:35 pace HR 135.

I actually don't believe the HR figures, I literally couldn't have been going any slower without falling asleep. I was trying to keep the HR steady in the recovery zone (under 140), but the numbers were constantly jumping up and down during the run despite a constant easy effort:
    You can see that here
    This has been happening all last week too, so I am going to try changing the battery to see if that makes a difference.

• Advertisement

6.5 miles @8:29 pace, HR 145
    Decided to push out a little tonight and do more of a GA workout, 3 recoveries in a week is a little too much!!
    Got a new battery for the HRM strap and that seems to have done the trick, though there was a mega spike around the mile mark (up to 189 :rolleyes:) then a series of little spikes between one and two miles. After that though, the HR seesm to be as it normally should be, you can see this here

As I say the last 4 miles the HR is consistent as it should be-around 143- so I am pretty sure I haven't lost finess ;Just had a dodgy HRM strp. Hopefully it will behave from now on!!

14 miles @ 8:49 pace Av HR 142

Nice run with Aimman this evening, great to have the company, we did a lap of Tymon up to bushy for a lap and back the long way for a last lap of tymon again. Mid week runs are getting kinda long :eek:, I attempted this as my longest ever run without water and that went ok despite the sun being stronger than I thought it would.

We kicked on for the last 0.7 mile to clock a sub 8 minute final mile.

6 miles recovery tomorrow ahead of a second trip to the physio on friday.

Recovery run
    6.1 @9:16 pace Av HR 134 (max 142)

Another run with Aimman. we took this one very easy indeed. Wore the lunar racers and they felt great. I will attempt to use them on next weeks tempo run.

Physio tomorrow and I hope to get the all clear for saturdays 16 w 12@PMP (That one seems a little daunting).

The plan today said 16 w 12@PMP. I met up with the group at Knockmarron. there must have been near 20 :eek: (good work Mr Slow). I planned to stay with the group for 4 then push on, but Chinguetti was planning to go on for 5 afterwards and 20 is next weeks LSR. Anyway to cut a long story short, I stayed with the group the whoe way then went with Chingueti at the end. Really enjoyed this run, will do PMP next weekend, I promise :D

20 miles @ 9:35 pace, Av HR 143 HRM playing up again I think, it has me up around 155 for the first 6 miles and we were running 9:30 is miles, I'd imagine average was closer to 140.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Really enjoyed that run today too... Will definitely try to get out with the group again at least once before DCM (if I do it ;)) Finished my 19 @ 9:39 average so absolutely perfect...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Well done men and xebec. I presume you guys are doing DCM. What time are you guys going for?

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Well done men and xebec. I presume you guys are doing DCM. What time are you guys going for?

Hoping to hit 3:30 Oisin. I actually would have done the Longford Marathon today as an LSR had I not had an injured groin. Were you pacing 4? (If so would have joined ya).

Yesterday I was at the LL Ireland semi final, went for a few pints afterwards and by the time I got back to Heuston there were no trains back to Parkwest. I ended up getting the Luas to Kylemore and running a mile home, Luckily I had my Garmin on, so 1 mile @ 9:20 pace!!!

Weekly totals:5 and a bit runs 52.9 miles

This weeks Plan:
    Monday: 7 recovery w Strides
    Tuesday: 11 w 7 @LT
    Wednesday: rest
    Thursday: 12 GA
    Friday: 5 Recovery
    Saturday: 16 w 12@PMP

Tonight:
    6.9 Miles @ 9:11, Av HR 136 (max 156)

8 x 100m strides @ 6:10 Av pace included in the above.

Tonights Plan was 11 miles with 7 @LT pace. I was really dreading this session. After 3 weeks of hliday easy running and a week of groin related injury trouble, I haven't really ran fast for any sustainable period since the 10k in Parkwest 5 weeks ago. I was expecting to have lost a fair bit of speed.
    The session surprisingly went much better than anticipated:
    After 2 miles of warm-up, I banged out the 7 LT miles pretty comfortably.

Session went: 2 miles warm up @ 8:39 (134 HR)
    7 Miles LT: 6:59 (158), 7:09 (165), 7:12 (167), 7:13 (166), 7:10 (164), 7:20 (167) 7:03 (170) Average pace: 7:09 (165 HR)
    2.1 miles warm down @8:47 (154)

Total: 11.1 miles @ 7:44 (156)

Really happy with this. It tells me that If I could have held this pace for an extra 3 miles in the 10 mile race 10 days ago, I would have broken 72 minutes pretty comfortably. (unfortunately I didn't get to race it with the groin)

Just realised it is the end of the month. A poor month compred to last month, but with 3 weeks of holiday and a week of Injury, it is actually not too bad at all:

January 112 miles
    February 73.6

March: 117 miles
    April: 141.8 for 444.4 miles total
    May: 155.7 for 600.1 miles total
    June: 152 for 752.1 Total
    July:201.1 for 953.2 total
    August: 166 Miles for 1119.2 Miles total

2nd Biggest running month of the year (and Life) depite the setbacks. I should be back to 200 + for September.

Got away from work Earlier than planned today so I got one of my sessions in a few days early since I might not be so lucky (workwise) the next 3 days.

5 miles recovery @ 9:07 pace

HRM all over the shop again, It has me over 200 for the second mile then up and down like a yoyo (anywhere betwen 123 and 185) for the last 3. It only seesm to do this during easy runs, during last night's tempo session the HR was nice and steady (mostly lower than tonight as well).

Thursday and friday were a nightmare with work so I never got my planned 12 miler done. I was working all day saturday too. BY one o'clock I had a few hours to myself so despite having not had anything to eat since 8am (a few slices of toast) I headed out for 16 w 12@PMP at around 1.30.

Run went surprisingly well:
    2 miles warm up @ 9:19 (132)
    12 PMP went thus: 7:51 (154), 7:55 (157), 7:57 (157), 7:54 (157), 7:55 (161) 8:37* (157) 7:52 (159), 7:58 (158) 7:52 (156) 7:56 (157) 8:00 (159) 7:45 (161).
    *this mile appears to be a garmin fault. I must have lost coverage in the trees in Marlay park as looking at the player it has me cutting lots of corners, I Guess it is actually about 1.1 miles for the distance. I remember looking at the watch at 7.6 miles and wondering how I possibly was doing 9:10 pace for the lap and actually sped up to bring the mile pace back down.
    Anyway average for the 12 PMP miles (except for the faulty mile is) 7:54 (HR 158)

Really happy with that especially given the hilly terrain of Marlay Park.

2 Miles warm down @ 9:10 (153)
    Gives a total of: 16 miles in 2hrs 12 @8:17 pace, av HR 154

Today I went out for a few miles recovery and felt really good, so I decided to make up for the 12 I had missed midweek and even upped the pace a bit. I ended up doing a lap including much of the marathon course from Chapelizod up to kilmainham and through Crumlin:
    10.1 miles @ 8:25 pace (HR 144)

So that ends another week: Totals for the week:
    5 runs 49.1 miles

This week included 2 key session (7 LT and 12PMP) so despite the rough time at work I actually feel I have done well. Next week I should be back to normal working hours and am looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Jimh

10 mile today in 90 minutes dead. Pretty fly for a 16 st 5'10" fat guy - 44 mile for the week- Doing Dublin in October - Struggled in Newry after a 2.11 half

Jimh wrote: »
    10 mile today in 90 minutes dead. Pretty fly for a 16 st 5'10" fat guy - 44 mile for the week- Doing Dublin in October - Struggled in Newry after a 2.11 half

Wrong log Jim?

• Advertisement

This weeks Plan:
    Monday: rest
    Tuesday: 8 miles with 5 x600m @ 5 k pace
    Wednesday/ Thursday: 12 miles GA
    Thursday/Friday: 5 mile recover with 6 x 100m Strides
    Saturday: 10k race (BHAA Firhouse) 10-12 miles total
    Sunday: 17m long run

Tonight:
    8 Miles seems a long way when I am effectively only doing 3km of intervals, Anyway I did 3miles warm up @ 8:25 pace (143)
    Intervals: I found a stretch of Tymon that was around 0.38 miles. I calculated it to be about 600m, but it must be a bit more, about 610-620m judging by the fact that the pace is faster than the time would suggest. I must remember to change the units to km before these sessions :rolleyes: 600m at 5k pace (20 minutes or 4min/km) should take 2:24 or 6:26/mile pace.
    I did the intervals as follows:
    1. 2:21 (6:15/mile pace) Av HR162 (max (169)
    2. 2:18 (6:08/mile pace) Av HR 169 (max 176)
    3. 2:14 (5:57/mile pace:eek:) Av HR 169 (max 176)
    4. 2:25 (6:20/mile pace) Av HR 172 (max 184)
    5. 2:20 (6:09/mile pace) Av Hr 167 (max 174)
    Recoveries were 1:30-1:50
    Lap 4 nearly killed me as it was severely uphill, I think that equals my record Max HR.

Recovery was a mile @ 8:35 pace (157). I couldn't be bothered doing a 2.5 mile recovery as it started lashing and I wanted to get home for the match. I'll add an extra mile and half to the recovery run later in the week.

Total today: 6.5 miles in 52 minutes. Pace 7:58, Av HR 153.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Mulling over wether running long with you tomorrow would be a wise idea, trying desperately to take it easy!

Mulling over wether running long with you tomorrow would be a wise idea, trying desperately to take it easy!

Leave it to the weekend I reckon. It would be nice to do the full course at pacing pace (don't you think?). I am planning doing the weekend LSR in the park with Chingetti on sunday if you want to join us, we can do the course as 13 of those miles. I can also give you a lift up and down if you want.

Headed out to Tymon after work unsure if I was going to do the 12 miles GA or 6 recovery this evening. After less than half a mile I bumped into Aimman who was just out for 'a few' so my mind was made up. We had a nice little chat about his experince running the 50 mile race in Dingle at the weekend and I had to slow him down a few times because he was heading into a pace well outside my recovery run :p

Did a few strides when I left Aimman and the groin felt a bit tight. The legs were also heavy after yesterdays speed session so probably just as well i did the shorter run tonight. I'll do the 12 tomorrow.

6.5 miles recovery, Pace 9:03, Av HR 135

I made up the extra 1.5 miles I missed last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

menoscemo wrote: »
    I am planning doing the weekend LSR in the park with Chingetti on sunday

What time are you planning to do this run at and what pace? 9 min miling would be perfect for me if i'm welcome, i really need to get the finger out for the DCM. Assuming you'll be soft from the firhouse race and will be taking it handy enough.

Be careful with the groin on saturday, it's not a goal race so don't run through pain if it occurs, tyson gay has had problems with his for 2 years now.

Good session the other day, you ran faster than i dd for the same p & d session before rotterdam. Looks like someone has his eyes on the sub 20 in rathfarnam.

Cheers Brian, yeah i am not sure I am in shape for a PB in Firhouse anyway, so i might take it handy (famous last words :p).
    The Interval's sessions are definately being run with sub 20 in Rathfarham in mind!!
    As for sunday. I am meeting Chiguetti and maybe RQ at 10am at the junction of Chesterfield and Furze Rd. We will do the Half Course at pacing pace for practise (just over 9 min/ mile) and then stick a loop on the end. You are more than welcome to join us.

Met RQ on the way up to Phoenix park to practise a bit for pacing next weeks Half marathon. In the park we did approximately the last 6 miles of the course (including both 'hills') at bang on goal pace.
    That's two people I have run with in two days who ran the Dingle Ultra at the weekend. Both looked remarkaly comfortable running a good pace. These Ultra Runners are definately one tough bunch.

11.2 miles @ 9:06 pace, HR 141.

Probabaly a little slow for a GA run and also 0.8 miles short of planned distance but Meh....... :D to Compensate for my slackness I sprinted up The Chapelizod hill Rd.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Then he 'waited' for me at the top of Chapelizod hill, but, I think he just needed a rest. :D

Ta' for the company I'd probably not have pushed to 9 if I'd been on my own

Then he 'waited' for me at the top of Chapelizod hill, but, I think he just needed a rest. :D

Ta' for the company I'd probably not have pushed to 9 if I'd been on my own

Cough. cough. I was just examining some flowers at the side of the road.

You probably shouldn't have 'pushed to 9' at all. I'm afraid you are the definition of the word 'runaholic' :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Good luck Saturday - but take it easy on the injury. Your pacing 2.00 in the Dublin HM ? You might just meet my nephew (I don't know it he's running - he's being coy about his plans !) but 2.00 would be a PMP for him I think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement