Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Firearms Ban

Options
  • 30-03-2015 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭

Sorry Mods I know there is a large thread on this but I just have a couple of questions on issues I am hearing from some people locally

Are they looking to ban semi auto shotguns ?

Are they looking to ban bolt action hunting rifles ( all calibers ) ?

Thanks lads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

pm. wrote: »
    Sorry Mods I know there is a large thread on this but I just have a couple of questions on issues I am hearing from some people locally

Thanks lads.

In short:
    - Effectively yes; the ban is meant to be for all semiauto shotguns with a magazine capacity over three rounds, but they want the magazine to come from the factory that way, not be a normal magazine with a crimp or plug in the tube, so they'll catch pretty much all of the eight or nine thousand out there.

- No, not explicitly - they are looking to explictly ban semiauto centerfire rifles. However, they are introducing several new grounds to refuse a licence on which would apply to all firearms types and some of them are quite ridiculous (number of firearms in the area, that kind of thing)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Thanks lads.

Jesus dude just read the thread...

Short answer re: shotguns, yes.

Short answer re: bolt actions, no... But it allows for a AGS to refuse firearms app based on their interpretations of crime levels within their district. In other words, if AGS wants, they can refuse all licences because there is too much crime in their district. Effectively banning everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

Sparks wrote: »
    In short:
    - Effectively yes; the ban is meant to be for all semiauto shotguns with a magazine capacity over three rounds, but they want the magazine to come from the factory that way, not be a normal magazine with a crimp or plug in the tube, so they'll catch pretty much all of the eight or nine thousand out there.

- No, not explicitly - they are looking to explictly ban semiauto centerfire rifles. However, they are introducing several new grounds to refuse a licence on which would apply to all firearms types and some of them are quite ridiculous (number of firearms in the area, that kind of thing)

Thanks Sparks, I just bought my new Beretta a400 Unico :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭J.R.

In short:

If the legislation does go through - could a plug be permanently welded in to the magazine chamber by a certified gunsmith - then he / she sign it off as a 3 shot capacity?..............surely this would have to be acceptable!

J.R. wrote: »
    If the legislation does go through - could a plug be permanently welded in to the magazine chamber by a certified gunsmith - then he / she sign it off as a 3 shot capacity?..............surely this would have to be acceptable!

You're confusing common sense and almost a century of precedent with law :D

The proposal is for the law to read as follows:
    an application for a firearm certificate shall be refused by an
    issuing person for:
    c) a shotgun manufactured to hold more than three cartridges.

That gets all semiautomatic and pump-action shotguns that do not come from the factory with a three-round magazine. After-market modifications aren't allowed for in the wording.

• Advertisement

So what will happen to all the semi shot guns if this is passed ?? I recently paid almost €2k :(

Same thing as happened in '72 - you have to hand it in to the Gardai or a firearms dealer. You still own it, you just can't possess it. After that, sell it on or wait for the law to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

So what will happen to all the semi shot guns if this is passed ?? I recently paid almost €2k :(

Yes, it would be banned should these proposals be passed.

Explain how unhappy that you would be at the loss of your firearm to your local TDs and explain how unlikely that you or your family would be to vote for them should this happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭minktrapper

I presume the government of the day will be paying the owners of theses firearms the value of the firearm.If the authority's licensed them in the first place should they not pay the owner the value of same. Let's face it if you can't use it then you do not own it.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Mezamo

They can do the same thing they did in 1972 and nobody will get any money from the state in compensation!

S.I. No. 187/1972:

FIREARMS (TEMPORARY CUSTODY) ORDER, 1972.

FIREARMS (TEMPORARY CUSTODY) ORDER, 1972.

I, DESMOND O'MALLEY, Minister for Justice, being satisfied that it is necessary to do so in the interests of the public safety, hereby, in exercise of the powers conferred on me by section 4 (1) of the Firearms Act, 1964 (No. 1 of 1964), order as follows:

1. This Order may be cited as the Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order, 1972.

2. This Order shall remain in force for a period of one month.

3. Every person residing in the State and having possession of a firearm or ammunition of any of the classes specified in the Schedule to this Order shall surrender it to the Garda Síochána on or before the 5th day of August, 1972.

Schedule.

1. Pistols and revolvers and ammunition therefor.

2. Rifled firearms of a calibre exceeding .22 inches and ammunition therefor.

GIVEN under my Official Seal this 2nd day of August, 1972.

DESMOND O'MALLEY,

Minister for Justice.

EXPLANATORY NOTE.

This Order requires every person residing in the State to surrender to the Garda Síochána on or before 5th August, 1972, any revolver or pistol or any rifled firearm of a calibre in excess of .22 inches in his possession, together with any ammunition therefor. The Order will remain in force for one month.

• Advertisement

I presume the government of the day will be paying the owners of theses firearms the value of the firearm.
    The proposal specifically cites an obscure legal opinion to say they won't. Which wouldn't hold up for very long I suspect. Not that they need to; they could just TCO it and then bring in the ban and let the owners sort it out. Suing them for lost value as the second-hand price of the guns falls would probably not work.
    TIf the authority's licensed them in the first place should they not pay the owner the value of same.
    You think so; those proposing these changes don't.
    Let's face it if you can't use it then you do not own it.
    Being able to possess something and being able to own it are two very seperate things in law and that's a well established principle in Ireland, especially in relation to firearms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

does your magazine have a capacity of more than three

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

You go away and persue the state thru the courts high,supreme and European for a violation of loss of property and non payment of fair and due compensation for said property under law which is enshrined in your EU citizens rights that even if you are deprived of your property for the common good,you must be duely compensated for it.Also remember there is precedent for this too,namely in the UK post Hungerford and Dunblane.Cost the UK govt about 190 million in 1990s money.Go figure what that could be in todays Euros and Irish prices.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

bravestar wrote: »
    SIn other words, if AGS wants, they can refuse all licences because there is too much crime in their district. Effectively banning everything.

Not to mind also feking up your insurance premimums on house,car and personal,dropping your property proices even further and proably also making it harder for yourself and children to get employment in the future.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Pretty sure geotagged Garda crime statistics aren't secrets at the moment lads, so that line of argument is a bit shaky at best.

http://airo.maynoothuniversity.ie/external-content/recorded-crime-monitoring-tool

divisionmapping.jpg

Not so much the AGS but the legalised robbers called insurance companies that will do it irrespective.Hard for an area then to shake a reputation then when it is underserved or has sorted a problem out too.
    And we do all know AGS statistics are 100% reliable too no question there.

does your magazine have a capacity of more than three

Yeah it has the capacity to hold 4 in total but it comes with a factory fitted crimp / lock device. Its not like the plug that was in my Browning Gold I am not sure if this can be removed ?

Was wondering why the gun dealer was saying no one wants semi autos any more and that the trade value is very low....

Guess one of the main dealers are worried about this..Last year they apprently imported or intend to import 500 units of semis...Remember too that this whole thing has been flying around since Nov 2013.
    You hear all sorts of stories at the moment.One lad whom I met assured me on Sat at one of the shoots ,its a done deal already and that they just want semi rifles ,yada ,yada,blah,blah and its from "a source thts never let him down."

Its scuttlebutt and rumours and this is why people need to confirm it from at least three independant sources before they pass it on as a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

Should this not be merged into the main thread as its rehashing the same points.

We probably will tomorrow hexosan, but the way our community seems to regard long threads full of information, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

pm. wrote:
    Yeah it has the capacity to hold 4 in total but it comes with a factory fitted crimp / lock device. Its not like the plug that was in my Browning Gold I am not sure if this can be removed ?

If it was FACTORY fitted, then I would argue that is part of the manufacturing process and therefore unrestricted in the new legislation

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

So maybe the Euro shotgun makers can help Ireland out, if this passes. They could allow you to trade your guns through a dealer back to them. In return, they provide guns with factory permanent 3 rd tubes. If it comes from the manufacturer and is permanent, then I concur with BrownTrout that should meet the definition as posted.

In future they just offer shotguns with factory permanent modifications for Irish shooters. Maybe this is not economically or legally feasible, but worth a thought.

For a market of just over eight thousand shotguns and far far fewer annual sales?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Gormley85

For a market of just over eight thousand shotguns and far far fewer annual sales?

Economically its probably not worth their while. But you never know, sometimes big companies do stuff like this. It does wonders for PR. Lego is a great example of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

I can get a factory custom shop to manufacture a pistol or rifle with a variation off the main line, not cheap but not totally cost prohibitive either. Not sure its that far fetched of an idea.

In reality this is only a sheet metal tube that can be replaced on Id say 99.9% of guns.Some might be sweated into the recivers making it a rebluing and gunsmith job alright.Which then begs the question how is a job like that making a magazine change easily accomplished??Also if we were going to go to those lengths whats to stop the guns being sent back or to the Uk or EU proof houses to get them modified by the makers to 3 shots only??

This is one point the comittee and all shotgun users of this type should be demanding off AGS is PROOF POSITIVE of this occuring on a regular basis by liscensed holders of them illegally modifying their guns and to what illegal purposes.

No more of this could ,would ,might ,maybe, BS.It seems AGS can present supposion as hard evidence and get it accepted as fact in firearms matter ,but wouldnt dare produce this kind of evidence in any other type of judical matter for it being laughed out of court,ban red sports cars as the drivers might break the speed limit because those we stop the most have red cars.

Also remember the recent high court victories about the .22 pistols have some bearing here too in relation to mag capacity as well .They have been burned on this now so whats sauce for the .22 is most deffo sauce for the 12 ga.In fact since their statistic release on stolen firearms We would have to question as does the comittee the entire AGS arguement at this stage as holding any kind of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Cost the UK govt about 190 million in 1990s money.Go figure what that could be in todays Euros and Irish prices.

That was the cost in the Dunblane affair, involving less than 70,000 handguns.

The end cost to the tax-payer was £103,000 PER GUN.

Then.

Figure on a 20% inflation on values since then.

tac

Advertisement