Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Overrated film?

• 11-12-2008 12:18pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

What would you consider to be the most overratted film? (Aside from the Obvious Titanic)

I know i'm going to be murdered for this but in the words of Peter Griffin "its time to tell you my Dark Secret I never careed for the Godfarther".................

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

"Heat" bored me to tears. I keep meaning to give it another go - but really I just don't know if I can do that to myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Shawshank Redemption

Maybe its because I watched it about 4 years after it came out and people constantly told me how great it was and therefore could never live up to my expectations.

Thought it was just an ok film, I was constantly waiting for something amazing to happen and it never came. Its very average

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Anchorman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

How to kill a mockingbird. I only saw this film about 6 months ago. Cant say I thought a whole lot of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I sense a lock coming.

The dark knight easily wins it for me.Some others include

Superbad
    REC
    Dawn of the Dead remake
    Wedding Crashers
    Oldschool
    I spit on your grave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 dome22

Would have to say Vanilla Sky,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Apocalypse Now was very overrated for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

dome22 wrote: »
    Would have to say Vanilla Sky,

Does anyone, aside form TC really rate Vanilla Sky

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

starn wrote: »
    Does anyone, aside form TC really rate Vanilla Sky

Vegeta hangs his head, stares at ground while kicking little pebbles and in a small voice says "I thought it was good" :o

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

LONE STAR, directed by John Sayles.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116905/

Read a few rave reviews and decided to go and check it out in the cinema. Absolute pants and bored me to tears.

I didn't walk out though. I would never walk out of a movie, although I came close with Indy 4!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭TMoreno

Amelie. I know a lot of Non French speaker loves it but it's just boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

E.T. original or re-edit. Also American Grafitti.

Anything by woody allen.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DanGlee

Pineapple Express.

The trailer was brilliant and it look SO funny... but it was just some overrated, stoner flick that dragged on far too long... and I like Seth Rogan... which made it extra disappointing!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jobucks

my other half will kill me for saying this but.... Jurassic Park, all of them. It is on every single weekend on one channel or another... so, so over it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

There is no over-rated. There's just films some people love that don't appeal to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Debbie Does Dallas.

Technically she didn't do Dallas, she did a very small percentage of the people that live in Dallas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Jackie Brown, Just found it so boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

DanGlee wrote: »
    Pineapple Express.

The trailer was brilliant and it look SO funny... but it was just some overrated, stoner flick that dragged on far too long... and I like Seth Rogan... which made it extra disappointing!

Was that highly rated at all? Entertaining, that's about it. Again, coming from a Seth Rogen fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

Feelgood wrote: »
    Debbie Does Dallas.

Technically she didn't do Dallas, she did a very small percentage of the people that live in Dallas.

I never manage to get through the whole film. The first 5 minutes are good though!

There is no over-rated. There's just films some people love that don't appeal to you.

Thats a matter of opinion really.

There are movies that are inexplicably/ disproportionately critically praised and do huge business but in the cold light of day dont stand up to the test of time or to much at all really.

• Advertisement

Morlar wrote: »
    Thats a matter of opinion really.

There are movies that are inexplicably/ disproportionately critically praised and do huge business but in the cold light of day dont stand up to the test of time or to much at all really.

Kinda like sex in the city

jobucks wrote: »
    Kinda like sex in the city

Managed to avoid being dragged to that one :)

I think some movies have better marketing and promotion than script/originality & so make a huge splash in pre-release marketing and on opening. Then critics/audiences go with the flow then a couple of years later people who missed all that watch it and go 'what the hell was that all about ? thats crap !'

'Basic instinct' would be another that springs to mind. * Also the last temptation of christ.

Morlar wrote: »
    Managed to avoid being dragged to that one :)

quote]

Didn't go see it either, but a stab in the dark is that it aint all it was cracked up to be

Same with the Simpsons movie, watched it when it came out on dvd and really it didn't justify all the hype

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭ben bedlam

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Every review Ive ever seen of it speaks of it in glowing terms. There is actually no plot to that mind-numbing, dull, stupid film; its just Johnny Depp and Benecio del Toro meandering through Las Vegas doing drugs for 90 minutes. Complete rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭cmcsoft

Sliding Doors

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

jobucks wrote: »
    my other half will kill me for saying this but.... Jurassic Park, all of them. It is on every single weekend on one channel or another... so, so over it

:eek:Say what you like about number 3. Just leave my baby alone!

Gotta ad Superbad to the list. I did actually like it, but the way people rant and rave about how brilliant it is. It was a funny enough movie with a couple of stand out scenes, but was let down by a schmaltzy ending that just fell into place. Saviour of the comedy genre? FFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Pants Labyrinth and everything else by Guillermo del Toro for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Anchorman and sideways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Carturo

These threads are ridiculous. You get people naming a great movie, saying it's overrated when they clearly couldn't know anything about films if that's their opinion. It's like a Take That fan slagging Jimi Hendrix.

Go away.

Actually I will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Gotta ad Superbad to the list. I did actually like it, but the way people rant and rave about how brilliant it is. It was a funny enough movie with a couple of stand out scenes, but was let down by a schmaltzy ending that just fell into place. Saviour of the comedy genre? FFS

Hardly overrated though. It had very little critical aclaim, and not much press. On release at least. The raving was , presumably, word of mouth.

Well you have to come to these things fresh. I saw it on a plane, didnt know anything about it, expected to stop watching it after a few minutes ( teenage comedy) and move onto to something else, but I thought it was great.

Advertisement