Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trust of online business

• 30-07-2009 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

I'm putting together an online subscription site, using paypal for people to pay for a subscription to download data.

My issue is with the contact details on the site - I'm basically a start-up from home and don't particularily want to put my home address or phone number on the site as contact, and it's not a business I intend on taking any phone calls about either - to be fair the business is not one I intend on it being a full-time job, it's more something to keep some cash flow going and to test the waters, don't get me wrong, everything I'm doing is not half-assed in any way, as far as web design, products being offered it's all professional, but I don't want phone calls about it all.

I have no problem putting my name on it and email address obviously but is it seen as not as trust worthy if a business address and phone numbers is not provided? I have contact with charities with whom I will be donating a % of profit to which I could possibly place these details on the site...would this increase trust?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

You could get a PO Box from An Post I guess but an address will go a long way. It really depends on the type of business in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

If you're charging for a service, then it is a business. If you're not registered for a business, then it's probably not all that trustworthy. I'd say setup as sole trader, get a registered business name, and then you can put all those details on the site with should assuage fears.

The main way to make it seem legit though it for the design to look professional. If a design is professional, people won't question it at all. This is something you can give a designer as criteria in the design process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Truss

Oh no don't get me wrong, I am a registered sole trader, it's all legit.

Yeah I've heard about having a well designed site alright, that's all being done! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

I would say an address is important, you can get a virtual office address & number from the likes of regus etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

+1 for the Virtual Office setup

You can use it as a registered business address, have snail mail forwarded and even have a receptionist answer calls in your business name if you wish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement