Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Exhaust Repair

• 13-10-2008 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭

So my exhaust starting making a lot of noise during the week. Patched it up with some Holts gun gum, where the exhaust goes into the silencer. That did the job, all back quiet again.

However, driving last night it all went again, and looking at it this morning, the two have totally separated now. Can that be repaired, or would it have to be totally replaced? Wouldn't be advisable to try and patch it up again myself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭stek

samey thing happenmed to me, guy in pitstop told me that 'when the pipe seperates it puls the guts with it from the box, therefore cannot be reconnected and i need a new box and pipe.. dunno if this is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Did u get it replaced? How much did it set you back? Don't want to get done for a couple of hundred if it is something simple to repair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭jaycen

Depends on the condition of the pipe and box but that could probably be welded/blanked in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

jaycen wrote: »
    Depends on the condition of the pipe and box but that could probably be welded/blanked in place.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Throw it in the bin where it belongs and get a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭stek

not too much more than €100.. cheaper than i thought.

• Advertisement

And then the OP has an emissions test for the NCT and the lambda is all over the place because there is a small pinhole in the weld and air is being drawn in, unnecessarily failing the NCT because a short cut was taken with fixing the exhaust...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Passed its NCT this year, I won't be getting it tested again. :)

Sounds relatively cheap to get replaced though, will go with that option.

Thanks for the help.

Darragh29 wrote: »
    And then the OP has an emissions test for the NCT and the lambda is all over the place because there is a small pinhole in the weld and air is being drawn in, unnecessarily failing the NCT because a short cut was taken with fixing the exhaust...

Mine pass, guess you're not much of a welder then, a pinhole FFS??? A trained welder will seal a pipe airtight, you obviously chose a bodger if you're talking from experience.

Welding a gapped exhaust isn't shortcutting by any means, as said if it's repairable then do so, if not then don't.

Mine pass, guess you're not much of a welder then, a pinhole FFS??? A trained welder will seal a pipe airtight, you obviously chose a bodger if you're talking from experience.

Welding a gapped exhaust isn't shortcutting by any means, as said if it's repairable then do so, if not then don't.

What you do with a corroded exhaust is you throw it in the bin and replace it.

What you do with a corroded exhaust is you throw it in the bin and replace it.

Yep, but where did it say corroded in the post???

I was talking about a broken (seperated pipe) as the poster asked, as I already said it depends on the condition on the exhaust.

• Advertisement

Yep, but where did it say corroded in the post???

I was talking about a broken (seperated pipe) as the poster asked, as I already said it depends on the condition on the exhaust.

It is broken/separated because it is corroded. :rolleyes:

It is broken/separated because it is corroded. :rolleyes:

OK, I'll asume you're familiar with the car and know for sure the problem is corrosion but how was I to know that?

Advertisement