Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

If This Is True, We're Heading For Trouble

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

The King James 1611 is possibly the closest version to the "Textus Receptus" i.e. the original Greek.
    The "Textus Receptus" was published in 16th century, based on a small selection of Greek manuscripts from 12th Century or later that followed the Byzantine text-type, and the Textus Receptus translation differed from even those, so even defenders of the Byzantine text type don't regard the Textus Receptus very highly. It was certainly not the original Greek.

Heck he didn't even have a full Greek copy of the book of revelations, translating it from Latin back into Greek.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

AnaA wrote: »
    That's ridiculous. Judgment Day hasn't occurred yet.
    AnaA
    Yes, that story is ridiculous. No contact with the damned is possible.

But there are even now souls in Hades. It is a sort of remand prison, where the guilty are held pending sentence on Judgement Day:

Luke 16:19 “There was a certain rich man who was clothed in purple and fine linen and fared sumptuously every day. 20 But there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, full of sores, who was laid at his gate, 21 desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man’s table. Moreover the dogs came and licked his sores. 22 So it was that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels to Abraham’s bosom. The rich man also died and was buried. 23 And being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
    24 “Then he cried and said, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.’ 25 But Abraham said, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things; but now he is comforted and you are tormented. 26 And besides all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed, so that those who want to pass from here to you cannot, nor can those from there pass to us.’
    27 “Then he said, ‘I beg you therefore, father, that you would send him to my father’s house, 28 for I have five brothers, that he may testify to them, lest they also come to this place of torment.’ 29 Abraham said to him, ‘They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.’ 30 And he said, ‘No, father Abraham; but if one goes to them from the dead, they will repent.’ 31 But he said to him, ‘If they do not hear Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded though one rise from the dead.’”

Wicknight wrote: »
    The "Textus Receptus" was published in 16th century, based on a small selection of Greek manuscripts from 12th Century or later that followed the Byzantine text-type, and the Textus Receptus translation differed from even those, so even defenders of the Byzantine text type don't regard the Textus Receptus very highly. It was certainly not the original Greek.

Heck he didn't even have a full Greek copy of the book of revelations, translating it from Latin back into Greek.
    Wickie is basically correct.

An argument can be made for a Majority Text vs the eclectic text used by most modern translations, but the Textus Receptus differs from it too. To me, the TR was the eclectic text of its day, a better source than the Latin, but inferior to those formed from the great number of texts subsequently discovered.

The danger for modern versions is that the choice of text is usually based on its early date, regardless of numerical witness. The question one must ask is why such an unrepresentative text survived - because it was a reject and thus unused, or did we just strike it lucky and find an authentic earlier copy?

Most recent finds tend to support the authenticity of the majority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

wolfsbane wrote: »
    The TR was the eclectic text of its day.
    And still is :)

Modern translations are not just simply different versions of the King James Bible written in contemporary language. These perversions are different Bibles entirely. Their foundation is not the God-preserved Textus Receptus of the New Testament. Instead, they are based on contaminated manuscripts which had been rejected by the early church fathers.

And still is :)

Modern translations are not just simply different versions of the King James Bible written in contemporary language. These perversions are different Bibles entirely. Their foundation is not the God-preserved Textus Receptus of the New Testament. Instead, they are based on contaminated manuscripts which had been rejected by the early church fathers.
    Indeed modern versions based on a very few old texts can be criticised as you say. But that does not mean the TR is the best text group. Even the AV-only Free Presbyterians defend it on the basis that it is closer to the Majority Text than the modern eclectic text.

Remember, we defend the infallibility and inerrancy of the originals, not the copies. God has preserved His word in the consensus of texts we have, so we always have enough to know all that He wants us to know. There is no one copy of the whole Bible that can be claimed as perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

That website's assertions rest on the assumption that America is the tribe of Ephraim on the west side of the atlantic.

Advertisement