Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NCT Emissions fail high idle lamba

• 18-04-2015 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭

My 2.2 liter petrol car failed NCT Emissions for high idle lamba at 1.34. All the other readings are spot on.

The tester suggested maybe a hole in the exhaust. So I checked that out today and no sign of any holes etc. It was hard to keep a rag in the tailpipe as the exhaust was so strong it kept blowing it out so that's a good sign.

Also while checking it out i found a cable disconnect (see attached pic) Maybe the NCT tester forgot to reconnect it?? not sure they even disconnect cables?

So I spent a couple of hours trying to find where it connects up to no avail. Any ideas appreciated!!! The car is a 2002 BMW E39.

Also any ideas on the emissions fail and what can cause it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭cletus

Are you talking about the cable with the red and black plug in the picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

cletus wrote: »
    Are you talking about the cable with the red and black plug in the picture?

No its the one pointed out by the red lines. here is another pic that shows it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭blackbox

I'm not familiar with that particular car, but high lambda means too much oxygen in exhaust.

If mixture was as lean as that reading suggests, car would be running badly with poor throttle response and low power.

I used to have a Porsche that gave high lambda readings when running perfectly because of an air pump that was part of the emissions control - it pumped in air between the engine and cat to assist the cat. I think it was only supposed to pump when the engine was cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

blackbox wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with that particular car, but high lambda means too much oxygen in exhaust.

If mixture was as lean as that reading suggests, car would be running badly with poor throttle response and low power.

I used to have a Porsche that gave high lambda readings when running perfectly because of an air pump that was part of the emissions control - it pumped in air between the engine and cat to assist the cat. I think it was only supposed to pump when the engine was cold.

thanks for the insight

Advertisement