Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Les Mis film adaptation

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

Fitting cameo at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I loved almost all of it.

Russell Crowe..well the casting director should never be allowed near another musical if they thought he could sing Javert. Woeful. He absolutely butchered Stars, my favourite ever song, I wanted to cover my ears. When I get the DVD that will most definitely be muted! Acting was strong but in a sung through musical that's not enough.

Hugh Jackman did very well. Huge transformations physically and otherwise between the different phases of his life.

Oscars are well deserved. Was wary of Anne Hathaway but wow, she's the first Fantine I actually cared about and I've seen the show 3 times. In fact when I saw it on Broadway Daphne Rubin Vega (Original Mimi from Rent) was playing the part and after about 60 seconds of her being on stage my inner voice was saying "die Fantine die so I can enjoy the show".

Really liked Samantha Barks as Eponine, not a character I've loved in the stage show (along with Fantine). Not so enamoured with Amanda Seyfried though.

The large group numbers being put into context on the streets etc brought new emotion to them. I cried at most of them, wow. And as for Empty Chairs at Empty Tables..heartbreaking. Special shout out for cheeky chappy Gavroche, stole my heart.

Nice cameos by a legendary Valjean close to our hearts too.

Think that's about as much as I can say spoiler free ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

athtrasna wrote: »
    Russell Crowe..well the casting director should never be allowed near another musical if they thought he could sing Javert. Woeful. He absolutely butchered Stars, my favourite ever song, I wanted to cover my ears. When I get the DVD that will most definitely be muted! Acting was strong but in a sung through musical that's not enough.

This. I love Russell, but dear god, why? He has the acting chops, but that's just not enough for the role of Javert.

Enjolras... absolute roiiiiide :D

My favourite song was "A Heart Full of Love", and it's not usually one I like to listen to on the iPod!

I usually dislike Anne Hathaway but I have to say... stellar performance.

Loved most of it, but I just wasn't enamoured with "Bring Him Home" :( Others may feel differently, perhaps I'm too indoctrinated into the school of Wilkinson/Boe :p

Anyway, it seemed to be received positively, the cinema gave a cheesy applause at the end! :p

Did anyone else actually feel the urge to applaud for the first while? I had to stop myself from doing it at the beginning when I realised I was in a cinema :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I thoroughly enjoyed this-I almost forgot I was in the cinema,especially as all the seats in front of me were empty.
    I thought all of the actors justified their casting-including Crowe.
    Having seen the stage show twice before-in a strange way,I felt he captured the raw/cruel qualities of Javert's character,better than most could.

The music was amazing throughout,and I felt as emotional as I had at the stage productions.

If I were to find fault,
    I disliked the boy's accent, which wouldn't have been out of place in Oliver Twist.
    Also-felt the Santa character was perhaps ,unnecessary.Not sure whether this was in the book??
    only minor points,however.

Bonham-Carter and Cohen provided a necessary injection of humour as the Thénardiers-
    although a bit OTT at times.Definitely the only scenes that didn't transfer as well from stage to the big screen for me.

Overall,will go and see again,and would recommend to anybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

London accents have always been used by productions of Les Miserables to identify the lower classes. Nothing unusual about that.

Crowe's acting is strong but not enough IMO. It's a sung through show, and Stars is such a key song. I saw a review which praised his singing but "It was such a pity all of his songs were written so horribly out of tune " ;)

Can't wait to see it again though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Evenstevens

This. I love Russell, but dear god, why? He has the acting chops, but that's just not enough for the role of Javert.

My favourite song was "A Heart Full of Love", and it's not usually one I like to listen to on the iPod!

Loved most of it, but I just wasn't enamoured with "Bring Him Home" :( Others may feel differently, perhaps I'm too indoctrinated into the school of Wilkinson/Boe :p

Anyway, it seemed to be received positively, the cinema gave a cheesy applause at the end! :p

Did anyone else actually feel the urge to applaud for the first while? I had to stop myself from doing it at the beginning when I realised I was in a cinema :D

I'd have to agree with you on Bring Him Home. I though Hugh Jackman was fantastic overall but that was a bit of an anti-climax for me and it's such a stunning song. Alfie Boe's version is exquisite.

Also agree with you on Enrojlas. Beautiful voice. WOuld have been a great Marius.

Pleasantly surprised by Russell Crowe I have to say. He doesn't have the best voice and Stars probably deserves a better singer but overall I really enjoyed him in the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

Oh my god... I totally forgot about
    the Santa part... oh Jesus :pac: That was... interesting.

Anyone know if it's relevant or just added in for the movie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

Can't remember when last a film kept me fully absorbed for over 2.5 hours. Thought Samantha Barks was particularly impressive (also thought she was terrific in Oliver a few weeks ago).

Well worth seeing IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

Yes! I felt exactly the same with the need for applause!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Saw this the other night. Still replaying it in my head.

I've seen LM three times on stage & once on film & every time I end up weepy eyed at the end. :)

Didn't really warm to Cossette as a grown up. I'm not a particular fan of the atress who played her & that possibly coloured my judgement.

I thought the barricade scenes weren't as dramatic as in the theatre. Too confined Samantha Berks was wonderful but I felt under used. Hugh Jackman was perfect in the role, Russell Crowe was woefully miscast (but I can't think of anyone else in the role).

Amanda Hathaway though. Wow. Just WOW. She was so wonderful in it. The boy played Oliver last week in Dublin & has played that role in LM on the west end for a couple of years now (working form the age of nine apparently).

The thing I love about these big screen adaptations is the opportunity to flesh out the characters by using additional sets or background. It was the same with Phantom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭hayser

OU812 wrote: »
    Saw this the other night. Still replaying it in my head.

I've seen LM three times on stage & once on film & every time I end up weepy eyed at the end. :)

Didn't really warm to Cossette as a grown up. I'm not a particular fan of the atress who played her & that possibly coloured my judgement.

I thought the barricade scenes weren't as dramatic as in the theatre. Too confined Samantha Berks was wonderful but I felt under used. Hugh Jackman was perfect in the role, Russell Crowe was woefully miscast (but I can't think of anyone else in the role).

Amanda Hathaway though. Wow. Just WOW. She was so wonderful in it. The boy played Oliver last week in Dublin & has played that role in LM on the west end for a couple of years now (working form the age of nine apparently).

The thing I love about these big screen adaptations is the opportunity to flesh out the characters by using additional sets or background. It was the same with Phantom.

A boy played Fantine? Is it after she cuts her hair? Not being smart, genuinely curious to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

hayser wrote: »
    A boy played Fantine? Is it after she cuts her hair? Not being smart, genuinely curious to know.

I'd say they were talking about Gavroche. :)

Advertisement