Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barker House Tapas Bar

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 asrielgk

Website seems to be a work in progress - http://www.elrincon.ie/
    DNS and Domain are brand new.
    Not sure how the menu relates to people's experiences but seems to be comprehensive.

I also see mentioned here that they are closed Mondays but website lists Tuesdays... Is this something that has changed?

Asriel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 asrielgk

Finally got to try this yesterday, early evening. I agree with whomever said it felt over-staffed. But I really enjoyed the food - 5 or 6 dishes. Salad wasnt the best, and potatoes could of been hotter. But all the meats were really nice.

They also have a small bar style section next to it... is that new?

Asriel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 irishk

Went to the tapas bar last evening for the first (and last) time. Phoned ahead to ask if they could cater for me as I have Coeliac Disease. Went ahead with the booking on being assured this would be no problem. How exciting to discover the menu had dishes marked (C) - being what they offered as suitable for Coeliacs. BUT - on going through the menu, I realised they had no concept of "gluten-free". There were SEVERAL items on the menu with their "(C)" symbol which were not gluten free. When I spoke to the manager/person in charge, he told me I was the first Coeliac to complain - that he has a relative by marriage who has the condition and can drink Guinness, beer etc. etc.!!!! - told me I was incorrect when I pointed out the gluten-containing items on the menu!!! (How long can staff of a restaurant take that attitude to customers and stay in business??) My point to him - which he would not accept - was that they must not promote themselves as being coeliac-friendly if they have no understanding of the issues involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

was there the other night for the first time. thought the food was alright - its a good spot to go with a big group.

but the service was pretty inept - we ordered a large bottle of water, they brought one glass with it (and left us to open the bottle ourselves); we also sat for 30 minutes chatting after finishing our food and no-one offered us desert or a coffee (which we probably would've had if it had been offered but in the end we decided to just move on to the pub).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 irishk

Loyatemu - you just reminded me! We were brought to a table (while being told on the short walk from the reception area to "put your coat on the back of the chair") and while we were still standing, were told what the specials were! The person who did this appeared to be the manager/front of house person, then walked away and it just didn't seem to register with him what had happened. Staff training/service leave a lot to be desired!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Agree with the above few posts.. I thought the food was nice (not amazing, but nice), and the service was pants.
    Nothing against the girl who was working, she was friendly and seemed to be rushed off her feet, I just think they could have done with more staff on.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Car2318

My husband and I went to the Tapas bar on Saturday night. We both really enjoyed it. The staff were very friendly, attentive and helpful. Not overpowering just nice. We were offered a choice of seating and not shoved to the table at the window nearest public view. The place was busy with a nice bustle to it.
    I loved the food. We had meats, vegetarian, fish etc and everything was freshly made and tasty. Good guidance on what to choose. Dessert menu could be extended though.
    We were even able to move tables closer to the back bar and my husband could have a draft beer and we relaxed there for an age without any pressure from staff to leave etc.
    We will definitely be returning...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

sounds promising .. a few more positive reviews is always good!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

I also see their new opening times - closed Sun, Mon and Tues ... Hope it's only for the next few weeks and it's not a sin of things to come

Myself and Mr Merrilady do like it there

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

I have heard a few times now that mrs robinsons bar is meant to be knocking through and extending in to the tapas bar. Anyone else heard this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

vinpaul wrote: »
    Spotted notice in window outlining proposed amendment to previously granted permission for development. New toilets and staff canteen to be located on first floor,keg storage to be located in basement. Wonder how long before a badly need pub to challenge the monopoly of current town publican will open to public. Parking of course will be a problem, but most people should and must walk to pubs, with new "drink driving laws" in place!!

Or a cab :D

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

Jimjay wrote: »
    I have heard a few times now that mrs robinsons bar is meant to be knocking through and extending in to the tapas bar. Anyone else heard this?

No, but could be great

Advertisement