Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

AZBOX /Elite / HD / Premium

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭taung

My WiFi was unstable until I bought a more modern router and relocated it. The new firmware says it improves on WiFi issues. Wifi can be disruptd by video-senders or neighbours WiFi.

No problems for me. What errors?

Latest problem, since I installed new firmware is that on radio channels, the audio drops out for half a secod every minute.

I seem to have a WiFi/Internal Hard Drive compatibility issue. The WiFi connectivity is fine when I remove the hard drive! Any ideas???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭slegs

Psygnosis wrote: »
    I have been informed by a good source that the problem lies with the DVB-T and dvb-c combination it does not affect the s2 or t combination. But you will be able to send it back to be fixed if needs be,
    Its not a major change. But keep on a eye on things and see how they go.
    It could be a good time to grab a bargain on ebay as people panic and start to offload these receivers. Saw one go for 200 euros.
    #

This rumor is only from the German market distributor. I was in touch with Opensat this am and there is no new AZBox coming (lots of wild and totally untrue rumor mongering going on).

Like said above there is talk of a DVB-C/DVB-T minor HW fix which would involve a return. It is a minor resistor modification. Only the DVB-T/DVB-C combination is affected - if you dont plan on using this combination you wont have the issue and wont need a fix. All new stock boxes from this week already have this fix. This is normal enough for set top boxes and electronics. The lack of an official press release on this is feeding the rumor mill unhelpfully.

The latest firmware 2880 has the beginning of the changes needed for DVB-S2/DVB-S2 combination for dual tuner usage. The software for this is due mid August (as flagged 2 weeks ago by Opensat). DVB-S2/DVB-T dual independent recording will also work when this FW is released. Hopeful that the UK EPG will be included in the firmware also.

When an official statement is made I will inform customers of SaorTV directly.

taung wrote: »
    I seem to have a WiFi/Internal Hard Drive compatibility issue. The WiFi connectivity is fine when I remove the hard drive! Any ideas???

Recent Wifi issues are fixed with latest firmware 2880. Have you upgraded?

slegs wrote: »
    Recent Wifi issues are fixed with latest firmware 2880. Have you upgraded?

I have the latest firmware, it made no difference whatsoever. I've a feeling the issue may be related to errors that occured when AZBOX tried to format the hard drive (it got stuck @ 20% formatting but later appear to successfully format the entire disk....)

taung wrote: »
    I have the latest firmware, it made no difference whatsoever. I've a feeling the issue may be related to errors that occured when AZBOX tried to format the hard drive (it got stuck @ 20% formatting but later appear to successfully format the entire disk....)

Have you a different HD to try? Also would be worth putting in a PC and removing all partitions via Disk Manager (in computer Management) and try again. Does sound unusual though that any HD issue would be affecting your Wifi.

• Advertisement

slegs wrote: »
    #

This rumor is only from the German market distributor. I was in touch with Opensat this am and there is no new AZBox coming (lots of wild and totally untrue rumor mongering going on).

Like said above there is talk of a DVB-C/DVB-T minor HW fix which would involve a return. It is a minor resistor modification. Only the DVB-T/DVB-C combination is affected - if you dont plan on using this combination you wont have the issue and wont need a fix. All new stock boxes from this week already have this fix. This is normal enough for set top boxes and electronics. The lack of an official press release on this is feeding the rumor mill unhelpfully.

The latest firmware 2880 has the beginning of the changes needed for DVB-S2/DVB-S2 combination for dual tuner usage. The software for this is due mid August (as flagged 2 weeks ago by Opensat). DVB-S2/DVB-T dual independent recording will also work when this FW is released. Hopeful that the UK EPG will be included in the firmware also.

When an official statement is made I will inform customers of SaorTV directly.

Official press release from Opensat.

http://www.azbox.com/com.pdf

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I see Number 5 mentions hardware changes need to be made for some compatability issues with some types of CAM.

Can the cardreader read viewing cards from SECA (Cyfra) or Viaccess 3.0 (JSC)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Hello,
    I'm interested in the AZBox because of the 4:2:2 ability.

I asked a pal who is really uptodate with things especially the DB he said

"Forget about the AZ box; there is lot of hardware problems; they are recalling the boxes and also they have closed a forum where support was given."

Any comments please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

Greenman wrote: »
    Hello,
    I'm interested in the AZBox because of the 4:2:2 ability.

I asked a pal who is really uptodate with things especially the DB he said

"Forget about the AZ box; there is lot of hardware problems; they are recalling the boxes and also they have closed a forum where support was given."

Any comments please.

Yeah, read this thread and all your questions will be answered, everything related to the AZBox has been discussed in here in detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

gtg60 wrote: »
    Yeah, read this thread and all your questions will be answered, everything related to the AZBox has been discussed in here in detail.

I've read it but whats the upto date???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Well, itdoes seem that the boxes need some components changed for some multi-CAM's to work.

I believe that the newer (Rev 4) boxes have this fix in place.

Greenman wrote: »
    I've read it but whats the upto date???

Forum being closed is widely publicised stunt by DM who paid off forum owner.

Hardware issue (as Byte has said) is related to CI CAM slots and manufacturer has stated they will repair it FOC, CAM's affected are:

DiabloCAM
    PowerCAM
    Canal Digitaal - TVV - Telesat CAM

Only hardware problem is the CAM issue affecting some cams only (voltage problem) which is fixed in all new stock available from this week.

Chipset is based on Sigma's chipset that is widely available in established media players like Popcorn Hour.

Everybody makes their own choices but alot of dreambox owners are quick to dismiss the AZBox as it is cheaper and has at the least competitve hardware to the higher end HD Dreamboxes. There are bugs but each firmware release is getting closer to the finished article. v1 firmware is targetted for late autumn timeframe with full dual tuner support (record one thing watch another on different tuners) expected in mid August.

I have never owned a Dreambox but from what I hear in terms of the time it took for that to become the finished article AZBox is on the right path.

There are very active forums out there on the AZBox where you can ask direct questions of experienced owners of both AZBox and other Linux stbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 royaletrash

gtg60 wrote: »
    Ok, just got one of these a few days ago and thought I'd let everybody know what they are like (have posted in this forum even though it'll be 2 weeks before I have my DTT tuner).

Firstly, there has been a lot of speculation and misinformation floating around since these were announced last year and this, understandably, seems to be one of the main reasons people are holding off purchasing.

As an introduction to Linux boxes, my previous STB's were a Sigmatek (DTT only) Globalteq (combo) and an Mvision HD200 (combo), the price really is great, a similar specced Dreambox costs at least twice as much and even though the firmware is still technically in Beta and without extra tuners I decided to take the plunge.

I purchased it from slegs from SaorTV who I have dealt with in the past and as usual found him to be extremely accommodating and helpful (also good to know he is the official Irish distributor for AZBox).

Right, to the actual unit! I was never not going to be disappointed by the looks of the STB as the original (photoshopped) pictures that floated around the net showed a vastly superior looking piece of kit, the actual unit looked a bit better than the real pictures of it but not as expensive looking as my Mvision 200HD but then it has an actual display instead of numbers (my biggest gripe with the Mvision), so like everything, a trade off. Built quality though looks very good and the plethora of connections at the back gave me the excitment that only techies seem to get with bits of kit like this, dare I say the back looks better than the front!

After connecting it up and switching it on I was amazed by the sheer amount of configurability (is that a real word?) and always had been daunted by the thoughts of a Linux OS but it was actually simple to set up (worth noting that slegs will configure any STB he sells before he posts it out so even if you are completely tech-less you have no excuse). Straight away the Menu system showed that this was no ordinary STB, on pressing the 'Home' button a menu came accross the bottom listing this boxes many talents, it appears that TV is just one of them as it also has a Browser, Youtube app, RSS reader and various media player and File Manager options.

For SD material on TV it definately displays the best pictures I have ever seen and while not a million miles better than my Mvision it is an improvement N.B. I always thought that the Mvision had a great picture.
    For HD material I felt a little disappointed, it may just be that the jump from SD to HD wasn't as much now and I had expected an improvement similar to the way it handled SD material, will try and do some back to back testing but don't get me wrong it's more than acceptable.

Youtube app works exactly as promised and if that was more my sort of thing I'd be more excited about it but again, thumbs up for an whole new feature :)

RSS reader, same thoughts as above, not my cuppa but works perfectly.

Browser, I suppose after having the internet for 10 plus years I was going to be critical of this and I wish it had been implemented a little better, it works fine and certainly better than the browser I currently use in my sitting room, which is on the Wii, the real letdown and no fault of the machine is that I NEED a mouse and keyboard to surf! There has been talk on other forums of a plug-in to allow use of a USB keyboard, if this develops into support for a wireless keyboard and mouse then I'll be a happy bunny! For most though it is going to be more than acceptable and I certainaly won't be using the Wii to surf again, of course hats off for bringing another great feature to this box as it is going to mean a lot of people surfing from their sitting room for the first time.

The Music, Video and Photo viewer I haven't even tried yet (this box just does so much) but I have heard it is great, will test later as I have a few Blu-Ray images on my PC and would love to see if it can play them accross the network.

I only experimented briefly with Recording and it seems to work fine, one thing I did note and that was that it doesn't store them as Transport Streams but as MPEG that even Windows Media Player can play without modification! (Something my Mvision didn't do).

Another great feature is the LAN connection, being able to download the latest firmware without having to switch on your PC or mess around with USB sticks is great! You can also remotely access the STB from your PC and download, edit and upload your channels listings!

Even though I have this 2 days I have only barely scratched the surface of what it can do and that's saying a lot, for a techie like me I don't think I'll ever stop playing or adding to it (there is a Plug-in section on the Menu to add new apps!) and I know development continues at a staggering pace and a quick Google will find you all sorts of forums to see what this machine is capable of.

Worth noting that I can use my Dragon CAM and genuine Sky sub card in this box, if I hadn't loaned out my spare Dragon I would be able to test if I can run 2 CAM's, one with my Genuine card and one with my FTV card (this has been one of my ambitions to get both running on one box).

The biggest gripe I have though is with the remote, it really is a step down from the one for my Mvision, it, in comparison is well built, solid and laid out well, the AZBox one has me looking at the remote looking for keys a lot and doesn't fell as solid, I'll probably be less harsh on it once I've learned where the buttons are and truthfully this doen't bother me as I have a Harmony that will soon be learning the AZBox codes but I want to make this 'review' as honest as possible.

Now, as mentioned in the beginning of this thread, this box is kinda still in Beta and there is promise of all sorts to come, well the most exciting developments are just around the corner, the Firmware for the DVB-T tuners and twin tuners is being released today, the extra tuners will be here in about 2 weeks and slegs has negotiated a deal with a programmer to implement the Freesat/ Sky EPG into the AZBox (and hats off to him), this is an exciting time and the dream DTT/ Sat combo box with 7 day EPG's for both looks like it'll be a reality VERY soon.

So, a very postive review for this box from me and it's main let-downs seem to be that it is a bit more functional than stylish (ala the looks of the box and the remote) but it is more than made up for by the features and definately the price! So, the question is, do you wait until the few weeks until the Unified EPG combo box becomes a reality (to be on the safe side) or do you take the plunge now?

IHMO when the first report comes in that it is working you better hope you can grab one as they will fly off the shelves, now that Boxer is gone there is no point holding on to see if you can get a cheap DTT box on a special offer or something!

Hopefully that covered most things and over the weekend I should be able to test a whole host of other features so will do a follow up review, and, as usual if you have any questions, just ask.
    az box cannot connect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Just got my hands on an Azbox Premium, found it pretty straightforward to set set up. Upgraded the firmware over the internet, no need for a USB key. Scanned 28.2E and found all of the channels easily, BBC HD looked very nice.

My other main use for the machine will be as a media streamer. I have all my movies and stuff upstairs on my main PC and the Azbox can play files over the network.

I have noticed some stuttering and low frame rate with some movies. Also the picture quality is not quite as good as streaming using my Xbox 360.

Would a wired network connection give me better quality playback? I can do this fairly handy, the wifi was just convenient for the time being.

Also, is there any way of setting up a short cut to my main media folder on my networked PC? Too many button presses to navigate there at the moment.

Has anyone used the satellite feed throughput? I would like to run the same cable to my Sky receiver via the Azbox. Will this work?

How can I record TV onto my networked hard drive? I don't intend installing a hard drive just yet.

So far, the box looks like it could have great potential but its not there yet. The Youtube app is cool.

MayoForSam wrote: »
    I have noticed some stuttering and low frame rate with some movies.
    Were these high quality files e.g. 1080P? Because there's a capped limited on speed at the moment until the new sigma drivers are released.
    Has anyone used the satellite feed throughput? I would like to run the same cable to my Sky receiver via the Azbox. Will this work?
    I recommend running a separate cable to each, the reason being that if the AZBox is on it restricts what you can pick up on the Sky box so there's a real danger of being unable to record something (this would lead to war in my house!).
    How can I record TV onto my networked hard drive? I don't intend installing a hard drive just yet.
    Yes, I have done this and set it to record directly onto my PC's hard drive, think I may have posted in this thread how I did it.

Biggest thing I would say to you is to start reading as much as you can on all the AZBox forums out there, this box is capable of so much, you just need how to figure it out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

az box cannot connect
    Can it connect using the wired Ethernet?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,484 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Frequency: 11469 - Pol: V - SR: 15000 - FEC: -

Category: Sport - Football

Transmitted in: MPEG-2 4:2:2

Comments: DVB-S2 HD (and 11533 V)

Ireland v Australia in HD.

This feed is a good signal (ocassional fluctuation) in Dundalk on TM 6900 HD FEC 5/6. Cant resolve on TM because it's 4:2:2, just wonder if the AZ Box can see it.

Sorry it's on 1 West.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭joe250

I have this one working on AZbox

Eutelsat W1 (10.0°E)
    ligne415_verte.gifFréquence: 11551 - Pol: V - SR: 6111 - FEC: - ligne415_verte.gifCatégorie: Sport - Football ligne415_verte.gifTransmis en: MPEG-2 4:2:2 ligne415_verte.gifInfos: Ireland-Australia

• Advertisement

Frequency: 11469 - Pol: V - SR: 15000 - FEC: -

Category: Sport - Football

Transmitted in: MPEG-2 4:2:2

Comments: DVB-S2 HD (and 11533 V)

Ireland v Australia in HD.

This feed is a good signal (ocassional fluctuation) in Dundalk on TM 6900 HD FEC 5/6. Cant resolve on TM because it's 4:2:2, just wonder if the AZ Box can see it.
    Can't get a lock to try it out, seem to remember you have a much larger dish than me....

Yes 1.1m. I think I will have to get the AZ with Terrestial tuner. I assume I can keep it updated same as whoever sells it or is there any reason to wait a bit longer?

Loads of football on but I was out for the evening.

Yes 1.1m. I think I will have to get the AZ with Terrestial tuner. I assume I can keep it updated same as whoever sells it or is there any reason to wait a bit longer?
    If you plan to use it with a Diablo then wait until you can get one with a Rev 4 board (the latest batch), otherwise there is no difference between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

New edition just released, file too big to attach but can be easily found through Google.
    - Update list of Transponders from KingOfSat-a for selected satelite.
    - All Ch.Group - now you can move channels.
    - Genre Group - you can add or delete channels of selected group Zarn,
    also you can also add or delete Zarn groups and change there names.
    - Country Group - you can add or delete channels of selected group of Countryes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭jimrad

New version of AZbox firmware released/leaked....hop over to satdudez.just about to download and try
    jimrad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭Apogee

What's the likelihood of a 3x tuner version of the Azbox being released? Or at least a 3x tuner receiver based on the Sigma chipset?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

jimrad wrote: »
    New version of AZbox firmware released/leaked....hop over to satdudez.just about to download and try
    jimrad

Still no twin tuner support, might wait for the official release and let some other folks be the guinea pigs for this one.

Leaked firmware now released for General Public, renamed as 0.9.3180

I haven't tried 3180 yet, but the quality of these firmware updates is quite shocking. Each new release introduces bugs on functionality that was working correctly in the previous release. If I were AZBOX I would be concentrating on getting the basics working correctly and not be attempting to 'impress' their customers by introducing new functionality.......the 3177 release included new GUI icons!!!! What are these guys thinking of? :eek: Here's hoping 3180 is giant leap forward.....

......apparently 3180 is the 'public' release of 3177 if this really is the case my advice would be to avoid this 'upgrade' like the plague. The 3177 release messed up the PVR functions on my AZBOX. :mad:

• Advertisement

remians to be seen if he flaws of 3177 are fixed in 3180...we will know tomorrow

Advertisement