Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Well still no baby and induction in the morning so think we're going to have to get down to business tonight:p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I just packed Baby Merkin's hospital bag and it was one if the nicest things I've ever undertaken! :) So lovely folding up his freshly laundered, ever so little babygros and vests and everything else, made me feel even closer to him if that makes sense? It dawned on me that it will be the first time of many (I hope) that I'll be packing his little bag for him ready for one of his many little adventures......awwwwww! Just wanted to share the love and general cuteness!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Merkin wrote: »
    I just packed Baby Merkin's hospital bag and it was one if the nicest things I've ever undertaken! :) So lovely folding up his freshly laundered, ever so little babygros and vests and everything else, made me feel even closer to him if that makes sense? It dawned on me that it will be the first time of many (I hope) that I'll be packing his little bag for him ready for one of his many little adventures......awwwwww! Just wanted to share the love and general cuteness!!

I don't really read the pregnancy forums much anymore only the newborn and toddlers... But that's one of the most lovely posts I've read! Not long now :)

Awww thank you Sligo1, it was just such a touching and enjoyable activity, can't wait to see how he looks in them! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

He's gonna look gorgeous!

• Advertisement

Awww I know, cannot WAIT to cuddle him!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Baby Oscar was born at 5.55pm weighing 8lbs 3oz!!

Labour is the hardest thing Ive ever done but oscar was worth every second! We're over the moon!

PS the epidural is one of man's greatest inventions:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

Well done smokey!! Congratulations!! Oscar is a great name. Enjoy the snuggles :D

Awww YAY! :) So delighted for you all, I'd say he's gorgeous. Well done and welcome to the world Baby Oscar xx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Brilliant news! Congratulations and enjoy the fruits of your hard work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Congrats I bet it feels brilliant having it over you now..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Congrats! Lucky you.
    ( 13 wks to go.....)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Huge congratulations Smokey, that's fantastic news :)

A question re: weight gain during pregnancy and working out how much you have/ are gaining.
    I lost around 4kg at the start due to nausea (and trying to sleep all of the time!) and have been slow enough to put any back on. Now I'm 26 weeks and when I weighed myself this morning I see that I weigh either 2kg more or is it really 6kg more. Do you count your weight gain from your pre-pregnancy weight or the entire gain from your lowest point?

Its a question more of interest than anything as the baby is showing to be a fine size for the gestation period and all that other stuff, I just seem (despite feeling every one of my 26 weeks yesterday and today) to be quite neat and if it wasn't for the bump you'd never know I was pregnant due to the lack of bloating or weight gain anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Wish I had that problem!! At 32+3 weeks I have gained a whopping 15kg, Im hoping its slowing down now though as there wasnt any gain between 28wks and 32wks according to my notes. Feel much bigger though - think my legs have gotten absolutely massive despite walking 2-4miles everyday!! Bump is measuring right on dates:) I would go with your pre - pregnancy weight, so 2kg gain, nice:)

Wish I had that problem!! At 32+3 weeks I have gained a whopping 15kg, Im hoping its slowing down now though as there wasnt any gain between 28wks and 32wks according to my notes. Feel much bigger though - think my legs have gotten absolutely massive despite walking 2-4miles everyday!! Bump is measuring right on dates:) I would go with your pre - pregnancy weight, so 2kg gain, nice:)

:) It feels like I'm cheating somewhat though.Saying that with another 14 weeks (give or take) to go in the pregnancy the weight gain could be massive yet!
    I downloaded an app for my iPad called Life in the Womb. It was created by the team in Holles Street and is pretty cool. The 26 week update informed me this morning that the baby now weighs 20 times more than it did at the start of the trimester:eek::).
    When I felt the little one move about this morning they had gotten themselves into a peculair position where their head (or bum) was sticking right into my abdomen just at the belly button and their feet and legs were kicking off the back wall of my insides. When I put my hand down to my stomach I could feel the perfect little roundness of a head (or bum) moving gently back and forth. It was pretty cool.
    There is so much movement over the last little while - its great. When the baby is born will I be really bored by my stomach that doesn't do anything any more?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

A question re: weight gain during pregnancy and working out how much you have/ are gaining.
    I lost around 4kg at the start due to nausea (and trying to sleep all of the time!) and have been slow enough to put any back on. Now I'm 26 weeks and when I weighed myself this morning I see that I weigh either 2kg more or is it really 6kg more. Do you count your weight gain from your pre-pregnancy weight or the entire gain from your lowest point?

Its a question more of interest than anything as the baby is showing to be a fine size for the gestation period and all that other stuff, I just seem (despite feeling every one of my 26 weeks yesterday and today) to be quite neat and if it wasn't for the bump you'd never know I was pregnant due to the lack of bloating or weight gain anywhere else.

Hi Penny, I have not gained any 'weight' either, I have a sizeable bump at 27 weeks but still weigh around the same / less than I did at my booking appointment. I find it quite bizarre aswell, especially as I do no exercise besides yoga once a week and I cannot stop eating (I'm not eating well either - its all bread, chocolate and cakes!!) I think in my case I was very stressed during the first trimester and found it difficult to eat - and that's when I lost weight.

Karmella wrote: »
    Hi Penny, I have not gained any 'weight' either, I have a sizeable bump at 27 weeks but still weigh around the same / less than I did at my booking appointment. I find it quite bizarre aswell, especially as I do no exercise besides yoga once a week and I cannot stop eating (I'm not eating well either - its all bread, chocolate and cakes!!) I think in my case I was very stressed during the first trimester and found it difficult to eat - and that's when I lost weight.

I was rather stressed with work stuff for the start of the pregnancy too and then when you add in the nausea and tiredness of the first 14 weeks I either couldn't eat or was asleep and so had no opportunity to eat.
    When that passed I slowly put weight back on but only in small amounts.
    Then when I went away on holidays I couldn't weigh myself for a few weeks and when I came back I had a bit of a double take at the gain showing on the scales.
    None of it seems to be fat though as my pre pregnancy clothes still fit around the bum and thighs area no problem- granted the bump at the front means there is no point in trying to close them. Also my maternity jeans are still a little loose in these areas too.
    I do prenatal yoga twice per week and go for a long enough walk at least two other nights but I'm not super active. My appetite isn't great though. The insane hunger that I'd heard about hasn't hit me or hasn't hit me yet. I have a decent breakfast each morning (porridge made with milk and have nuts and seeds on it) and a light lunch / snacks during the day - yoghurt, fruit mainly and occasionally half a sandwich or such. Then I eat a proper dinner (most evenings) and if I am hungry I might have cereal before bed.

Its all fine though once the baby is fine and is getting as big as they need to and I'm sure when I am post delivery and want to get back into my jeans again I'll be more than happy that I didn't gain too much.

[QUOTE= Penny Dreadful)
    None of it seems to be fat though as my pre pregnancy clothes still fit around the bum and thighs area no problem- granted the bump at the front means there is no point in trying to close them. Also my maternity jeans are still a little loose in these areas too. .[/QUOTE]

Have you tried the belly belts? I am still in my pre-pregnancy jeans too but ONLY with belly belt (fab invention!), zip wide open and a longish top/ belly band (also fab invention!) to cover the exposure. No need for maternity trousers yet! Bum and thighs still under control. 2Kg is amazeballs. I think i've gained between 8 and 9kg at 26+6. Waiting for that predicted massive appetite (mine's still normal) and the kilos to fly on during last tri. I'm expecting that as my activity levels drop with advanced pregnancy, weight will pile on then too. Pretty active still at the moment but almost in last trimester. Can't belive that the 2nd Tri is almost gone. Time is FLYING!! :eek:

73trix wrote: »
    Have you tried the belly belts? I am still in my pre-pregnancy jeans too but ONLY with belly belt (fab invention!), zip wide open and a longish top/ belly band (also fab invention!) to cover the exposure. No need for maternity trousers yet! Bum and thighs still under control. 2Kg is amazeballs. I think i've gained between 8 and 9kg at 26+6. Waiting for that predicted massive appetite (mine's still normal) and the kilos to fly on during last tri. I'm expecting that as my activity levels drop with advanced pregnancy, weight will pile on then too. Pretty active still at the moment but almost in last trimester. Can't belive that the 2nd Tri is almost gone. Time is FLYING!! :eek:

Yes, have a belly belt and its great. I don't find it works well with my work clothes for some reason though. I ordered a couple of pairs of trousers from the Jo Jo Maman Bebe website and they should be with me tomorrow so thats that covered.
    The 2kg is great but I do feel a bit of a fraud when people congratulate me on it as its not really something I've set out to do. Granted I haven't used being pregnant as an excuse to eat badly and to eat all around me but equally I haven't been totally OTT in terms of being super careful either. I guess its luck really.

• Advertisement

May it continue!

May it continue!

Too right. I've had the odd off day (post 14 weeks- was hard going before then) where I had bad back pain or heartburn (an infrequent occurance thankfully) or everything was wrong and awful, etc etc. However as they are the odd and rare occurance its all been grand for a good while and I've been able to take things easy and mind myself when needed. I dread to think what it would be like to be feeling so bad for the entire duration.

Sounds like you are doing fine - both diet & exercise-wise, I really wouldn't worry about weight gain or loss especially when baby is doing great inside there :) That's the most important thing!

I got some belly bands last time and I found them to be useless, because my pants/jeans would still fall down underneath them. I just had to go whole hog over-bump maternity jeans. Maybe it was just the ones I had (think I got them in new look) weren't great.

Karmella wrote: »

I got some belly bands last time and I found them to be useless, because my pants/jeans would still fall down underneath them. I just had to go whole hog over-bump maternity jeans. Maybe it was just the ones I had (think I got them in new look) weren't great.

I would use both together. The belly belt to keep the jeans on and the belly band if wearing a non maternity top that was riding up so appear like a layer. The belly band alone definitely wouldn't work for me, it's just to add length to a top.

I would use both together. The belly belt to keep the jeans on and the belly band if wearing a non maternity top that was riding up so appear like a layer. The belly band alone definitely wouldn't work for me, it's just to add length to a top.

Ahhhh, it seems I've missed out on a whole 'thing' - there are belly belts!? Are they kinda tighter / elasticated bands? that would make a lot more sense. yes the bands I have are really only for bump coverage.

well you learn something new everyday!! :p

Can anyone recommend a good phone App for labour to time contractions etc? There seem to be a few!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Merkin wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good phone App for labour to time contractions etc? There seem to be a few!

This is the one I used

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nz.co.ljholmes73

It did the job fine! Easy to use and to look back on as I went along.

Just make sure to practice with whatever one you get before the time comes, so you're not trying to figure it out while in labour!

Good idea, thanks Chat! :)

Quick question for all of you. We're going to Tony Kealy's this weekend to put our deposit on the buggy, cot and all that jazz for the baby. Thankfully we've agreed on the big purchases like that and I'm very keen to get that done.
    I'd appreciate the benefit of your experience in relation to the mattress you've purchased for the cot. We will be buying the Angel Care Baby Monitor and I noticed that it says you cannot use a memory foam mattress with it and you need quite a firm mattress. What one did you you guys go for?
    My husband has a little moment every so often and you hear "how much? for that!" from him. I have no intention of spending hundreds on a mattress but equally I do wonder if one for €20 from IKEA is the right choice too. I have also reminded him that the baby will be sleeping in the cot until they are 2 years old (give or take) and so its not a purchase for a tiny baby only, a bigger heavier child will also be sleeping on the mattress we pick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Kealys are crazy prices for a mattress, we got ours from kiddiecare for €50 it's the same thing they have for €230, special breathable pockets and anti allergy ect, we got a cot bed from kealys so my thinking was worst case scenario we buy another €50 if it's battered after 18 months.
    Make sure you haggle with kealys, we got money off and free stuff, there is also a thread for bargains for parents to be, check this out before you go

Advertisement