Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Career guidance for after leaving cert,help

Options
  • 26-08-2014 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I am currently going into my final year of school .. With absolutely no idea or direction about this time next year .. I love working with people esspically children , studying all honors except math, a friend mentioned the possibility of a nursing course but I have fear it will be extremely intense .. I would really hope to go to Galway either nuig or gmit .. Really need some direction any advice at all would be greatly appericeated !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭KAI.Fundraiser

I left school with no direction....

I worked rather than go to college, and traveled when I could..

Moved to England to studie nursing after 2 years of working...

Left that unfinished and moved back home and worked again for 10 years...

Had 3 kids and then relised I wanted to work asa graphic designer.....

Got my degree, am unemployed since I left college and now I would love to work in social care.

My point, Don't hurry yourself to decide untill you know what you love. Likening it is not enough because it will be the rest of your life.

Take your time.

BTW as for the Nursing, Get a job in a nursing home or hospital, even cleaning or porter. You will know quick enough if thats your future

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

catlin. wrote: »
    I am currently going into my final year of school .. With absolutely no idea or direction about this time next year .. I love working with people esspically children , studying all honors except math, a friend mentioned the possibility of a nursing course but I have fear it will be extremely intense .. I would really hope to go to Galway either nuig or gmit .. Really need some direction any advice at all would be greatly appericeated !!
    If you like working with children, something like Early Childhood Education would be worth looking into? (or primary teaching obviously, but I assume you've thought of that one yourself).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Likening it is not enough because it will be the rest of your life.
    Haven't you demonstrated that this is not true?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 MegLC

I'm in the very same position and I've decided that I'll most likely take a year out and try to get a job or something. I think that will give me time to figure out what I really want to do because now I feel im just going to choose an obvious path ( accounting because its my best subject ) and that may not be for me afterall! So yeah I'd say don't rush it, and don't decide on something just because someones telling you to!

Advertisement