Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Astec 63 alarm assistance required

• 21-01-2014 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi all,

I need to replace a battery in an Astec 63 alarm. I bought a battery (YS-12)but it is the wrong size. I was told in the shop that this was the standard size for an alarm battery. When I took off the alarm power cover, the battery inside was far smaller. Does anyone have any idea of what battery I am to ask for when returning the YS-12?

Also, in front of the battery there is a small circuit board. Does this need to be unscrewed so I can access the battery?

I normally leave this type of thing to the experts but hard times and all...... :-(

I really would appreciate any advice on the above please..

Many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The battery you want is 12 volt DC 2.2 amp
    25323.jpg
    You will need to unscrew the main PCB board to replace this battery .
    Be careful not to short out any of the solder joints at the rear of the PCB. Also be careful not to leave the battery leads exposed where the PCB can short them.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Limbo123

Many thanks koolkid. You are a star ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

KoolKid wrote: »
    The battery you want is 12 volt DC 2.2 amp
    25323.jpg
    You will need to unscrew the main PCB board to replace this battery .
    Be careful not to short out any of the solder joints at the rear of the PCB. Also be careful not to leave the battery leads exposed where the PCB can short them.

Attempting to replace battery

How can I ensure that I don't short out the solder joints or expose battery leads?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Remove the mains power and remove the battery link.
    Also ensure that the cables are tucked in on top of the battery so they are not in contact with the solder joints on the back of the pcb.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,637 ✭✭✭✭altor

Attempting to replace battery

How can I ensure that I don't short out the solder joints or expose battery leads?

Be careful with the screws and the screw driver also, was out with a customer last week who blew the panel changing the battery.
    This system is obsolete so just take your time and you should be ok.
    Also take note of polarity when reconnecting the battery.

• Advertisement
Advertisement