Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Bus and Google Maps Project

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

this sounds like a great project!
    i'd be willing to help out. i could map the routes for 42A, 42B & 29A. :)

i think gmaps pedometer is a bit easier to use anyways, so i'll use that to map them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

irlrobins wrote:
    With My Maps, adding a route is as simple as clicking along the required path to create the polyline. I'm not sure if the API offers the same functionality.

Sorry, crossed wires :) I only meant using the API to display the data, not map it.
    If we could use My Maps to plot the route, extract the data and then import into API or other than that would be handy. Will the KML file be suitable?

It appears they're both just XML files so either should be fine. Personally I find Gmaps easier to use but I don't have a preference. We could probably transform between the two of them if we wanted to anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Well let's formulate/document the exact process of how and what each person needs to do. (You can tell I'm Management Consultant ;))

No point in charging down a path and find problems further along.

irlrobins wrote:
    Well let's formulate/document the exact process of how and what each person needs to do. (You can tell I'm Management Consultant ;))

If we can agree on a file format, I can adapt the existing site to read that file so we can test it. It shouldn't take long to do that when I get back to a proper net connection ;) I can also try to convert my existing routes (or at least the ones I'm sure are right). Any objections?

After that I guess if each person maps out the routes of their local buses, we can put them on a site somewhere and have other people check them to make sure they're okay?

I'd suggest leaving the locations of bus stops for the moment, they should be easy enough to add in later. At least I think they should.

Yes, I think the bus stops can be added at a later stage.

Format of data file is not important as long as a) it can be read by your site and b) everyone and anyone is able to produce such a data file easily.

So what's the best way of doing that? My Maps exported as KML or Gmap Pedometer?

Just counted the number of routes in total: 200+ :eek:

• Advertisement

irlrobins wrote:
    So what's the best way of doing that? My Maps exported as KML or Gmap Pedometer?

I think this one comes down to personal preference. Shout now or forever hold your peace ;)
    Just counted the number of routes in total: 200+ :eek:

That's without worrying about crazy routes like the 27B or 18 which run different routes and different start/end points at different times of the day *rolls eyes*

My Maps looks slightly easier in terms of exporting. Anyone else got a preference?

There is a third alternative, encoded polylines which are much smaller to store and transmit than a series of lat/lng co-ordinates. For example, instead of a 4.5k KML file or 8.6k GPX file, the entire 27B route can be stored in polylines as:
    gf`eIbfie@`EsjAmLw_@jFcrApA{w@nJjDzXwB|XkDje@p]dZcWmDknA\mLhOtH}@pNh@pNjFzD_@lE}GeBzAkKSqN\oMbDr@`M}SSxQnKa@
    {I`@KgQsFuArGci@`U{@rGr@NeEYsHfAcLtUo_@rDrKrLbSdMn\xKvTrTzV??`VjWnNxNjInBvArVpEvQvLlP~Wz]hK`OhOhRdCtAjF|q@

There is a simple Google utility (http://www.google.com/apis/maps/documentation/polylineutility.html) to let you mark points on a map. It's not quite as flashy as My Maps but it's easy enough to use. Single clink on a point, click the 'Add Point' button, rinse, repeat, etc and then copy and paste the text from the two text boxes below the map.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

I think main reason this would be possible to do now is because of mymaps, it was possible before but too much work for one person to do. now you don't have to pay to draw paths etc. (and not everyone has gps ped thingy or programming know how).

I think markpb is suggesting that the only way to get all the routes together would be for each person who's done a route or two to export the kml and then (somebody with the pro license) in goolgeearth program can put them all together in one map that could be shared, for a complete googleearth and googlemap version and be available for search in mymaps search.

or are you suggesting if people are searching for routes it would be easier to do them and find them all separately?

it is annoying that you can't import into mymaps, I asked about on the help forum, no reply yet. (there seems to be alot of things mymaps can't do),http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Maps-How-Do-I/browse_thread/thread/fa4867acf1218405

I think snappieT et al should only offer to do one route at a time, and finish it/post it here before starting on the next.

you could try to break things up again as I said by just doing one (main ) version of each route how many would that make it irlrobins?

I tried this http://intl.local.live.com/results.aspx?what=hotel&where=Dublin%2C+Dublin%2C+Ireland

I read that you could already do this on mircrosoft, but I look here and there^ http://mappoint.msn.com/

??

ah you have to sign up,Ill have to figure it out, well like you have to do with google (althought you don' t need an invite).

does anybody use this microsoft mapping to create maps?

anyway mymaps as google said a monkey could use it thats the point.

markpb wrote:
    There is a third alternative

Too fiddly and it's not as easy to use as My Maps. I wouldn't consider it a runner.

• Advertisement

I think snappieT et al should only offer to do one route at a time, and finish it/post it here before starting on the next.
    Yea, one route at a time is prob the way to go. Plot route X, export the KML file, email to whoever to populate the database and if all ok then move to route Y. Keeps the data files simple.

I think markpb is suggesting that the only way to get all the routes together would be for each person who's done a route or two to export the kml and then (somebody with the pro license) in goolgeearth program can put them all together in one map that could be shared, for a complete googleearth and googlemap version and be available for search in mymaps search.

That's pretty much it. Once everyone has submitted their routes (in whatever format we agree on), we can combine that data in some useable format such as a Google Maps driven website, or humungus KML file for Google Earth users.

As far as I know, there's no way to import route data into My Maps so I think it's probably not much use after the fact.

I wouldn't object to people taking a few routes but probably not more than 5 or 6 each so we don't block each other if there are lots of enthusiastic helpers.

http://maps.google.com/help/maps/userguide/index.html#results

I don't get how to use this I created a couple of things made me public gave em specific names but when search maps for them they don't come up, ony things that have been there for a while do.
    However, when you post a Placemark on the Google Earth Community Forums, it will not automatically appear in everyone's Google Earth 3D Viewer. Your Placemark, along with other new or edited Placemarks, must be added to the Google Earth database in a separate process; this is done approximately every 4 to 8 weeks.

is this the same for mymaps ?
    irlrobin- One login would have to be shared

see I still havn't figured out if this is necessary.... actually if it is the case that things won't be searchable for a couple of months then one account would make sense, so people can see eachothers work in mymaps.

could you post this thread to communting irlrobin, perhaps make a sticky?

46A From Dun Laoghaire

irlrobins wrote:
    46A From Dun Laoghaire

cool and the mymap link ?

There isn't one (yet).

I think markpb will plot that route on his map.

irlrobins wrote:

Apologies, I started doing this last night but there's a small bug in it so it doesn't work just yet. Annoyingly I can't get SSH access from my new job but I'll update it tonight.

Also, it turns out the Google Maps API supports KML files natively so it was a doddle to implement. Good choice there irlrobins ;)

irlrobins wrote:
    There isn't one (yet).

then how did you make it?

I did it in Google MyMaps, but not as a public map.

irlrobins wrote:
    I did it in Google MyMaps, but not as a public map.

why not and why not put up the link? or do this? so everyone can see it use it...

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/868062/an/0/page/0#868062

mymaps has turned out to be confusing and google arn't answering request for support at all?
    http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Maps-How-Do-I/topics

• Advertisement

The intention is to release one map with all routes on it. Releasing one route at a time is pointless. So people plot a route, upload the coordinates here and markpb will (hopefully) plot it on his map. That make sense?

irlrobins wrote:
    The intention is to release one map with all routes on it. Releasing one route at a time is pointless. So people plot a route, upload the coordinates here and markpb will (hopefully) plot it on his map. That make sense?

And I will :-)

http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~markpb/dta/traffic/boards.ie.php?bus=46a
    http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~markpb/dta/traffic/boards.ie.php?bus=20b
    http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~markpb/dta/traffic/boards.ie.php?bus=27b
    http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~markpb/dta/traffic/boards.ie.php?bus=46a,20b,27b

Obviously it's only a beta so all the routes are the same colour and we'll need to build a proper UI around it but it's a start. I haven't converted any other bus routes yet but if anyone else sends me KML files I'll put them up as soon as I can.

Nice one!

So come on people, get busy!!!!

irlrobins wrote:

although I wish no harm to marpb he could get hit by a bus in the morning?

people may want to use just one route in other purpose or project I don't see the need to lock them behind an api on mark's webpage and preventing people from loading the routes into googleearth and uploading the kmz up on the google community, thats what is there for. I posted the 46a route in the exp&temp forum as example. It was also notify other Irish google earth users to project beyond boards and they may help add to it and prevent them repeating the work as I already said. :confused:

31 http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=experiment&Number=787116

25 http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=experiment&Number=788731

49a http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=experiment&Number=868387

17 http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=experiment&Number=868388

Well admittedly the primary aim of this project was to produce a map with the DB routes plotted on it that a user could select at will. It wasn't to be a library of KML files.

Having said that, I'm sure it's possible to be able to provide the data to anyone at a later stage, but that would be a secondary aim.

And if people attach their KML files here, then they are freely available to anyone who needs them, in much the same fashion as yours are.

Would it suit if I added a (password protected) page on the site that allowed people - you guys - to upload KML files for new routes or replace existing KML files if routes turn out to be incorrect? I can do that tonight and upload those routes that lostexpectation linked to.

If this goes well and get enough interest, we should probably consider hosting it somewhere else so that a few people can log in, make changes, look after it, etc. I'd have no objections to moving it elsewhere so it can be a proper group project, it's current incarnation is only a stop-gap measure to get us up and running.

Well admittedly the primary aim of this project was to produce a map with the DB routes plotted on it that a user could select at will. It wasn't to be a library of KML files.

Having said that, I'm sure it's possible to be able to provide the data to anyone at a later stage, but that would be a secondary aim.

And if people attach their KML files here, then they are freely available to anyone who needs them, in much the same fashion as yours are.

I read your op again and it doesn't mention that at all, it mentions doing a collaborative project on mymaps, I don't mean to be disagreeable, but it was only when markpb came along was their suggestion of having to make an api, and now hes talking about password protection?
    to produce a map with the DB routes plotted on it that a user could select at will
    this can be done on googleearths and googlemaps

I thought the idea was to get the most people involved via the easy to use mymaps etc which is why you would post to things on google community/make them public to attract irish map makers, attaching txt files here creates a couple of steps to view it as a kmz as opposed to instantly on google bbs so people can see what were tying to do and join in otherwise it will never get finished.

I thought the idea was to get the most people involved via the easy to use mymaps etc which is why you would post to things on google community/make them public to attract irish map makers, attaching txt files here creates a couple of steps to view it as a kmz as opposed to instantly on google bbs so people can see what were tying to do and join in otherwise it will never get finished.

I'm happy to go along with whatever you guys decide and re-map my routes if needs be.

At the moment though, I don't see how you want your idea to work. If we all use Google My Maps to map out whatever routes we know, we'll end up with a mismash of different routes on different people's accounts and no way to merge them all. If I map the 17A and you map the 41, there's no way to show those two together and see where they join. It's be great as a project because it's easy to get involved but almost useless when it's done.

• Advertisement

markpb wrote:
    I'm happy to go along with whatever you guys decide and re-map my routes if needs be.

At the moment though, I don't see how you want your idea to work. If we all use Google My Maps to map out whatever routes we know, we'll end up with a mismash of different routes on different people's accounts and no way to merge them all. If I map the 17A and you map the 41, there's no way to show those two together and see where they join. It's be great as a project because it's easy to get involved but almost useless when it's done.

I think this is just confusion I might have added to it,

the suggestion was people could use mymaps to make the maps then save the kml to be put together elsewhere by someone with the licence, which is why irlrobin first posted, as I was trying to figure out above mymaps isn't good for putting them altogether and I wasn't suggesting that in my previous post, but you can do that in googleearth (or simply c+p the coords from the files) and make them available for people to download them off the google community and they can all viewable and clickable in googlearth and googlemaps (and mymaps). Im asking why only allow it be viewed on a web page behind an api and not on all 3 the api, googleearth and googlemaps.

Advertisement