Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Olympic skier banned!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Fattes wrote: »
    Former cassical violinest and Olympic skier for Thailand Vanessa Mae has been on the end of a massive ban from FIS and the IOC.

The funny thing is it appears FIS and the IOC where the last ones to know she cheated! :rolleyes:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/11/violinist-sochi-olympics-vanessa-mae-slovenia-ski

I always thought someone qualifying bizarrely and then finishing last in the big races was normal… Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

CardinalJ wrote: »
    I always thought someone qualifying bizarrely and then finishing last in the big races was normal… Haha

More than Bizarre! Her time at Sochi was so far off she would be a 350-400 point racer in a FIS race! It was so obvious it was funny, sad really but some people crave attention

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

bizarre for sure.
    damaging for the talented young kids from modest backgrounds who see how corrupt winter sports are.
    Is it feasible that RedBull or X-Games could take on downhill skiing? and the current Olympic sports?

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    Is it feasible that RedBull or X-Games could take on downhill skiing? and the current Olympic sports?

To be honest as fair as the points system is for Alpine skiing it is open to abuse, plenty of "bonanza races" out there and so many stories of races with points bonanza's one of Bode miller skiing across the line backwards, or too racers falling and hiking back up (accidentally on purpose)

I know myself that certain races will be easier to score points at but what she did was ludicrous, a B standard Olympic athlete should be within 30-45 seconds of the winner over two runs. She was nearly a minute behind!!

Add that to the IOC demands to the Norwegian Govt , IOC needs to be held to account

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    Add that to the IOC demands to the Norwegian Govt , IOC needs to be held to account

All those organisations area like that. The story's about Fifa are hilarious.

I'm only surprised that she took apart. I'm a competitive person and really don't get the taking part thing. If you've no chance of winning why are you there?

Self promotion ,
    global television audience and lucrative sponsorship on the back of it.
    She also gets the celebrity bit of attention.

Maybe there is an element that she is so spoilt and insane that she thought that this was all perfectly normal behaviour :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Ah, I'd do the same for a free snow holiday

I'm a competitive person and really don't get the taking part thing. If you've no chance of winning why are you there?

So am I, but I will never win a FIS ski race, being competitive means scoring sub 180 points in every race! Sometimes the challenge is not in the winning.

Advertisement