Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Seanie Johnston Kildare Transfer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Dark Knight, I may have asked this before but here goes:
    Let's say Kildare don't win Leinster or the All Ireland this year. Now lets say Johnny Doyle thinks that the only way he'll have a chance to win some silverware before he retires (as he is getting on a bit) is to switch to Dublin. He puts in a transfer request to a club in Dublin despite not moving from wherever he's living now. Would you support him in moving given that you don't seem to care about the ethos of the GAA?

I'm not for a second suggesting that he would do this, this is simply a hypothetical question I'd like Kildare posters supporting this move to answer.

There's no comparison between what your asking and the Seanie Johnston transfer.

Why cant people get it into their heads that he wasn't wanted by Cavan which is TOTALLY different to turning around and saying I'm off to win something with another county.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

beertons wrote: »
    Did Kerry begrudge Taidgh Kinnelly when he came back from Oz? No. He played 2 games and really made a difference to the team in their quest.

Doylers won't switch counties, maybe one of the younger lads will. They're all fairly happy with how things are run in the camp.
    I have no idea what Kennelly has to do with this. And if you read my post, I said that I wasn't sugesting that he would switch counties so if you could answer my hypothetical question, that'd be great.
    To Alcohol wrote: »
    There's no comparison between what your asking and the Seanie Johnston transfer.

Why cant people get it into their heads that he wasn't wanted by Cavan which is TOTALLY different to turning around and saying I'm off to win something with another county.
    Dark Knight (as well as several other Kildare fans elsewhere) have said that the GAA ethos is "a load of bollix". So surely that means they would fully support one of their players if they decided to switch counties to win silverware. Are you of the same opinion that the ethos of the GAA means nothing?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,053 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Seen as most panel members get kick backs in one way or another, and they always have, a player can play for who ever he likes. If any lad wants to move, away with him. Wasn't Johnston dropped? Doubt Cavan are crying too much. Kildare lost Larry Tomkins back in the day. We kept our mouths shut about the affair. He did well for Cork. Fair play to him, moving to further himself.

Seen as most panel members get kick backs in one way or another, and they always have, a player can play for who ever he likes. If any lad wants to move, away with him. Wasn't Johnston dropped? Doubt Cavan are crying too much. Kildare lost Larry Tomkins back in the day. We kept our mouths shut about the affair. He did well for Cork. Fair play to him, moving to further himself.
    Larry Tomkins moved to (and to this day still lives in) Cork. Similarly, Karl O' Dwyer (as far as I know) still lives in Kildare after moving from Kerry in the 90s.
    I've no problem with players who permanently move to another county and playing with that county. However, the jury is still out, not only on whether Johnston will permanently live in Kildare, but also on whether he is living there at all. That is what I have a problem with in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

I have no idea what Kennelly has to do with this. And if you read my post, I said that I wasn't sugesting that he would switch counties so if you could answer my hypothetical question, that'd be great.

Dark Knight (as well as several other Kildare fans elsewhere) have said that the GAA ethos is "a load of bollix". So surely that means they would fully support one of their players if they decided to switch counties to win silverware. Are you of the same opinion that the ethos of the GAA means nothing?

Ethos in the GAA is only ethical when it's applied to all equally. Many transfers called into question the same ethical issues and as turns out it was never an issue until the Seanie Johnston transfer. Double standards, typical of the GAA.

Their call on ethos was merely a deceptive ploy to delay the transfer for as long as possible.

I have a big fat ZERO respect for the cccc and the GAA hierarchy after this farce.

End of the day the lad wanted to play football. Its not as if he's a professional on big wages and they've done their damned best to ensure he cant play. He's the guy playing the game attracting the crowds paying their fat arse salaries. The neck of them.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,053 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Karl was dropped by Kerry, daddy got him a job and a place on the panel. He was young and had no ties to his home county. The very same with Johnston. He'll settle well here, won't happen over night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

.......... He'll settle well here, won't happen over night.

Yeah house-hunting is a pain :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Yeah house-hunting is a pain :rolleyes:

Back to Dublin thread with ya

Back to Dublin thread with ya

LMAO... waiting for you to answer Hammers Question :rolleyes:

My thoughts are that if Cavan think they don't want him or need him with the talent running through their forwards who can blame them tbh :(

If Cavan refuse to play him he should be allowed play elsewhere no objections

Gaa bosses have gone out of their way to block unsettle this because of ethical values ffs!!

Ethical values when local clubs scape to train kids voluntarily and have to raise funds or sponsors for new kit and equipment, while fat cats in croker etc are highly paid and well looked after?? That's ethical alright **** the grass roots I need a new suit..

Next time your kids wear tatty kit remember gaa want ethical local values etc but that's ok isn't it?

Remember micko said I don't get paid I just get my expenses ffs lol

That's all off point fair enough but its a corrupt organisation when u think about it IMO anyways

• Advertisement

DoctaDee wrote: »
    LMAO... waiting for you to answer Hammers Question :rolleyes:

This has nothing to do with jd so I won't bring him into this!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

My thoughts are that if Cavan think they don't want him or need him with the talent running through their forwards who can blame them tbh :(

Gaa bosses have gone out of their way to block unsettle this because of ethical values ffs!!

Ethical values when local clubs scape to train kids voluntarily and have to raise funds or sponsors for new kit and equipment, while fat cats in croker etc are highly paid and well looked after?? That's ethical alright **** the grass roots I need a new suit..

Next time your kids wear tatty kit remember gaa want ethical local values etc but that's ok isn't it?

That's all off point fair enough but its a corrupt organisation when u think about it IMO anyways

if you want to go off on a rant about managers pay and the amatuer game with players, go ahead. none of it at all, has any relevnace to what is happening here.

Next time your kid goes to go play a game for his local club and doesnt get to do so because the club are bringing in better players from outside then see how does ethos fare.

If a player thinks he is entitled to play for a county team and thinks that he can play for any county team regardless of where he lives or ties to same team, then we are in the process of changing the whole system. Charlie Carter was got rid of by Brian Cody when captain of Kilkenny in 2003 I think it was, when he would walk onto pretty much every county in Ireland. If players think that because they have a row with management, that they can just walk onto any other team, then its wrong. What is stopping it happen at club level too? Players fall out with managers the whole time, the way you answer it is on the field and show them they made a mistake and get your place back on the side. Not transfer to another one who is willing to take you on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

corrupt ?
    thats just plain drivel you are coming out with now.

the rule book is faulty but any ordinary member can fix that.
    Any gaa member can forward a motion to their club, who forwards it to their county, who then gets it on the floor of the congress.

Theres no more democratic organisation in Ireland.

BTW.
    if you feel you want to change the world, you put together a solid rule that could be used for intercounty transfers without allowing a free for all.

And best of all. It doesnt have to remain here within boards.
    You goto your club and push to have it put to your county and in turn to the floor of congress. If you feel so stongly then its in your hands.

This has nothing to do with jd so I won't bring him into this!!
    It's a hypothetical question :confused: You could be a politician with that answer.
    Would you, or would you not, be in favour of a talented Kildare player moving to another county at the drop of a hat despite having no connection whatsoever to the county seeing as you've said that the GAA ethos is "a load of bollix"? It's a very simple yes or no question.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

You're spouting some amount of drivel at this stage. Your mouth is writing cheques that your brain can't cash.

Now, can you answer my question about ten posts back in regard to how Cavan have treated Johnston badly? Or "acted the bollix" as you described it? You made some bold statements in relation to Cavan and now I want you to back them up.

It's a hypothetical question :confused: You could be a politician with that answer.
    Would you, or would you not, be in favour of a talented Kildare player moving to another county at the drop of a hat despite having no connection whatsoever to the county seeing as you've said that the GAA ethos is "a load of bollix"? It's a very simple yes or no question.

Tbh and completely honest no I wouldn't. Believe it or not but nobody in any county panel owes anybody anything..

Why would anyone be bitter towards any other man?

Seeing the ethos crap being spouted here why are gaa bosses paid a salary? While young in country wear **** kit??

I don't believe ethical gaa notions when the top of gaa are paid salaries..

Johnston is a small fish in big water gaa thought they could bully him out of transfer but fair ****s to him for standing his ground on the matter. Why should he not play inter county if his own county said they didn't want him? Remember he didn't abandon Cavan! Cavan abandoned him.

Lemlin wrote: »
    You're spouting some amount of drivel at this stage. Your mouth is writing cheques that your brain can't cash.

Now, can you answer my question about ten posts back in regard to how Cavan have treated Johnston badly? Or "acted the bollix" as you described it? You made some bold statements in relation to Cavan and now I want you to back them up.

Since u seem to know it all answer this - why when Cavan management changed did Cavan not build bridges with seanie?? If he was dropped by management why did nobody stand behind him if he is sorry WAS your counties finest footballer?

Cavan abandoned him that in itself is **** after the years of service he gave Cavan.

Don't judge anyone here lemlin you don't have any rights!!

I would have thought ethos would have had Cavan county board embracing Johnston and taking him back into panel.. You know community spirit take seanie back etc??

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

As a lilywhite, can I just say its easier to let Dark-Knight spout away and ignore him. He's a wee bit of keyboard warrior... just have a flick through the Kildare forum and ye'll see this isn't unique to this thread.

Oh and to answer the hypothetical question that everyone keeps avoiding.

Would I like to see a talented Kildare player (e.g JD) move to Dublin?
    Hell to the no, I'd be fuming if it happened as there would be no reason for him to transfer as its a commutable distance. I'd hold the dirt beneath my shoe in higher esteem.
    If he say got a great job in Donegal or West Cork etc (i.e not commutable) and moved cus of this recession fella, then it'd be hard be begrudge him. Good luck to ya, just try not score against Kildare if we met your new team.

Any in regards to Johnston transfer?
    Do I think it's a good precedent for the game?
    No.
    Do I think it will be a big issue in the future? No, the fella's in CCCC/CAC will have to re-draft the rules to tighten this up.
    Do I want Seanie at Kildare? Of course, he seems to be a talented player and I'm clearly a big hypocrit but at least I'm willing to admit it. I'd be only delighted if he kicked the winning point in ANY game this season. I think talks of an All-Ireland is pre-mature as we haven't beaten any of the big Div. 1 teams in I don't know how long.

Apologies for essay. Hope this can tie up a few loose knots and then get this thread (which is going in circles) closed in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Tbh and completely honest no I wouldn't. Believe it or not but nobody in any county panel owes anybody anything..

Seeing the ethos crap being spouted here why are gaa bosses paid a salary? While young in country wear **** kit??

Johnston is a small fish in big water gaa thought they could bully him out of transfer but fair ****s to him for standing his ground on the matter. Why should he not play inter county if his own county said they didn't want him? Remember he didn't abandon Cavan! Cavan abandoned him.

Look I'm not having a go here but do you really think the GAA were trying to block this transfer because of the person or county involved?
    Because that would be rediculous. There is a rule book which needs to be followed and this particular case showed alot of grey areas in that rule book. I would be of the opinion that the GAA were right to take so long in coming to a decision as the outcome will have a knock-on affect with other transfer requests in the future.

Also you really don't expect the GAA as an orgainisation to ensure all teams at all clubs have top notch gear to play in do you? That simply wouldn't be possible and you including it in your arguement actually made me take your following points less seriously at first

Since u seem to know it all answer this - why when Cavan management changed did Cavan not build bridges with seanie?? If he was dropped by management why did nobody stand behind him if he is sorry WAS your counties finest footballer?

Cavan abandoned him that in itself is **** after the years of service he gave Cavan.

Don't judge anyone here lemlin you don't have any rights!!

I would have thought ethos would have had Cavan county board embracing Johnston and taking him back into panel.. You know community spirit take seanie back etc??

Is there any chance you can actually answer the question you were asked? Because you haven't answered the question in the drivel spouted above.

I'll ask again, how did Cavan "act the bollix" with Johnston?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

Oh and one last thing, people saying "go back to your Dublin (insert other county) thread". This is not a Kildare or Cavan thread and everyone with an interest in the transfer (i.e most of the country) have every right to read and post in this thread.

So if Kieran McGeeney drops a player from the Kildare panel in the morning, the player's county is abandoning him?

That's some logic you've got there. There are players being abandoned by their counties all over the country!

So if Kieran McGeeney drops a player from the Kildare panel in the morning, the player's county is abandoning him?

That's some logic you've got there. There are players being abandoned by their counties all over the country!

Again not having a go just trying to see where you're coming from.

Are you annoyed at the circumstances of transfer in general? By that I mean would you feel the same way if it was a county other than Cavan that was involved

full_irish wrote: »
    Oh and one last thing, people saying "go back to your Dublin (insert other county) thread". This is not a Kildare or Cavan thread and everyone with an interest in the transfer (i.e most of the country) have every right to read and post in this thread.

Ah I didn't take it personally.... if yer here long enough you'll clash swords with the Dark one :p ... I respect him for holding his opinion and his allegiance to Kildare is unwavering .. but using a horsey analaogy .. this isn't the first time he's run in blinkers ;)

Felexicon wrote: »
    Again not having a go just trying to see where you're coming from.

Are you annoyed at the circumstances of transfer in general? By that I mean would you feel the same way if it was a county other than Cavan that was involved

I'm annoyed by Dark-Knight stating that Cavan "acted the bollix" with Johnston and other such ill-informed opinions of the whole saga.

The player was dropped by Cavan. Nothing more. So for someone to say Cavan treated him unfairly is totally incorrect.

Players are dropped from panels over the country all the time.

Read back over the thread. I previously wished Seanie well. The Cavan panel don't want him and I'm happy with that. He did annoy me running around Croke Park with Kildare before the transfer went through which I feel showed a lack of respect to both Cavan and his club Cavan Gaels.

However, I wouldn't care if Johnston moved to Monaghan, Leitrim, Down, Fermanagh or any other county. What annoys me is this downright ludicrous opinion that he was treated unfairly in Cavan.

I'll be honest here Johnston has his work cut out to get onto Kildare team I just think its sickening the way this whole transfer panned out.

Negative points for Cavan for not building bridges with Johnston, negative for Kildare with people of the view we are poaching players and negative thoughts on gaa bosses, cccc whatever u wanna call them for treating Johnston badly dragging this out!!

It's negative all round lads absolutely terrible.

I for one hope if this does nothing else it will take the gaa forward in producing a fair hearing process and a clear set of rules rather than it being "sure that doesn't sound right" attitude.

I'm not dragging this on but I think the whole thing was a disgrace from start to finish

So you wouldn't support a talented Kildare player moving counties, yet you say no one on a county panel owes anything to anyone. I may have misinterpreted your post but that sounds like a bit of a contradiction.
    And the GAA is a massive national organisation so obviously a lot of work is needed to run it so obviously no one will do that for free as it would be impossible to hold down a paying job at the same time (unlike when you're a player).

And I don't think dropping a player constitutes abandoning him. Dean Rock, a fantastic player, was dropped form the Dublin squad recently yet notice he hasn't ran off to join another club/county when he could walk on to many teams in the country from what I've seen of him. Johnston was informed that he wasn't needed for the upcoming league campaign and within a week he's trying to engineer a move to another county. I don't know about you, but to me I certainly wouldn't want to try and bring back a player who throws a hissy fit and tries to switch counties just because he was dropped.

And finally, you may think Cavan abandoned Johnston, but what about his club? When this saga began, he tried to stay playing with Cavan Gaels (again, strange that he was adamant that training in Kildare would be impossible if he was living in Cavan, yet it seems training in Cavan while living in Kildare would have been no problem). When he was told that this wasn't allowed, he went and joined St. Kevin's. Who abandoned who in this case? Surely Johnston owes a little something to the club whose (amateur in this case) coaches helped develop him as a player from juvenile upwards.

I'm annoyed by Dark-Knight stating that Cavan "acted the bollix" with Johnston and other such ill-informed opinions of the whole saga.

The player was dropped by Cavan. Nothing more. So for someone to say Cavan treated him unfairly is totally incorrect.

Read back over the thread. I previously wished Seanie well. The Cavan panel don't want him and I'm happy with that. He did annoy me running around Croke Park with KIldare before the transfer went through which I feel showed a lack of respect to both Cavan and his club Cavan Gaels.

However, I wouldn't care iof Johnston moved to Monaghan, Leitrim, Down, Fermanagh or any other county. What annoys me is this downright ludicrous opinion that he was treated unfairly in Cavan.

Cool. I'd be in agreement about the whole treated unfairly by Cavan business.
    Like in all aspects of life, personalities play a role and I think that was a deciding factor in Johnston being dropped by Cavan. The best thing he could have done was put his head down and play with his club to such a level as to force the Cavan management team to reconsider thier stance

Read back over the thread. I previously wished Seanie well. The Cavan panel don't want him and I'm happy with that. He did annoy me running around Croke Park with Kildare before the transfer went through which I feel showed a lack of respect to both Cavan and his club Cavan Gaels.

However, I wouldn't care if Johnston moved to Monaghan, Leitrim, Down, Fermanagh or any other county. What annoys me is this downright ludicrous opinion that he was treated unfairly in Cavan.
    Why should he show cavan county respect when he was dropped? Doesn't make sense to me why should he give two hoots!!

He looked at home with the Kildare lads sure more luck to him

• Advertisement

nympho wrote: »
    snip

Jesus bitterness is a terrible thing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement