Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TV Licensing in Ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

iainBB wrote: »
    just because they JOB is to call at homes that do not have TV licence over and over, asking details. sending many different letters with threatening language and legislation, faking/imitate court letters with stating illegal suggestive behavior over and over again.
    That is harassment.

If you believe what they are doing is illegal, please consult a solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

Paulw wrote: »
    If you believe what they are doing is illegal, please consult a solicitor.

I did not say it was illegal, I am sure they are will with in their rights to bully my family and me.

I did not say it was illegal, I am sure they are will with in their rights to bully my family and me.

errrr ....
    faking/imitate court letters with stating illegal suggestive behavior over and over again.

You did say "illegal"

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

Paulw wrote: »
    errrr ....

You did say "illegal"

I did say the word "illegal", yes that is true

i said it in the context of they harassment letters read about illegal behavior that not have a TV licence is illegal and fine up to ... for not having one and all TV should be licence and bla bla.
    and 30 days in jail for anyone bla bla.

But I did not say their behavior was, there is a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Mark#1

Not getting involved in other folk's stuff.

For my part, I had the TV licence guy visit - brought him in to see my TV, had a chat, he asked a few questions and gave me some time to come up with the fee. All pleasant & cordial. And as I said I'm saving the licence stamps.

Always paid my TV licence in my last home - I did have terrestrial & satellite receivers and broadband, so I accepted that the licence was appropriate.

But it still seems bogus to me that a licence is required for someone with:
    • No means to receive terrestrial TV broadcasts
    • No means to receive satellite TV broadcasts
    • No means to stream online content
    • No means to download online content
    I can watch DVDs or play video games - that's it.

Bogus, bogus, bogus...

I understand that the state will always do what it can get away with to maximise what it can take from The People (gotta fund those pensions somehow...), but I'm not sure how any reasoning person can disagree that the current TV licencing mechanism is bogus, or at least flawed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

just because they JOB is to call at homes that do not have TV licence over and over, asking details. sending many different letters with threatening language and legislation, faking/imitate court letters with stating illegal suggestive behavior over and over again.
    That is harassment.

I was polite the first 4 times. that quickly ran out.

Eh, is this in Ireland? It's a standard letter that gets sent a few times from An post, you do the declaration thinggy and it stops coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Mark#1 wrote: »
    Not getting involved in other folk's stuff.

For my part, I had the TV licence guy visit - brought him in to see my TV, had a chat, he asked a few questions and gave me some time to come up with the fee. All pleasant & cordial. And as I said I'm saving the licence stamps.

Always paid my TV licence in my last home - I did have terrestrial & satellite receivers and broadband, so I accepted that the licence was appropriate.

But it still seems bogus to me that a licence is required for someone with:
      [*]No means to receive terrestrial TV broadcasts
      [*]No means to receive satellite TV broadcasts
      [*]No means to stream online content
      [*]No means to download online content

Bogus, bogus, bogus...

I understand that the state will always do what it can get away with to maximise what it can take from The People (gotta fund those pensions somehow...), but I'm not sure how any reasoning person can disagree that the current TV licencing mechanism is bogus, or at least flawed.

Rabbit ears will get you irish channels, depending on the area even a coathanger will. The current licensing model is brilliant in its simplicity/stupidity.

Mark#1 wrote: »
      • No means to stream online content
      • No means to download online content

Bogus, bogus, bogus...

The above do not require a TV licence. The licence is for the tuner. It's outdate legislation and needs an update but when it does it will be MORE encompassing not less.

The solution is to buy a monitor rather than a TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Can we put a global ban on ALL TV Licence posts please ?

They've been done to death. They are almost as bad as threads discussing Joan Burtons voice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What should have happened by now is the TV licence being scrapped for a universal "Arts Tax" that hits anyone that reaches the minimum threshold to pay income tax and is deducted at source. Job done, no paying inspectors.

But that would probably be political suicide, only those on the scratcher would support it.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭mvt

Had a TV inspector knock on the door just last week(live in an apt),first time in eleven years.
      I've never owned a TV & had send in the declaration the first time I received one,maybe six months after I moved in.
      The guy was very pleasant, said their records were out of date & said he would sort it out & there was no need for him to come in to check.
      He also said he found that a lot of folk don't have a TV these days.
      I suppose, like anything its a situation that can be as good or bad as you make it yourself.

Can we put a global ban on ALL TV Licence posts please ?

They've been done to death. They are almost as bad as threads discussing Joan Burtons voice :)

At least a mega thread and one for "I've more money than sense and think boards is a good place to do my reasearch on major financial decisions like buying an apartment and becomeing a landlord".

That title might need work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Cork24 wrote: »
      I have a TV

So you need a TV licence! How are you unclear on this?

Mod note: The TV license is not all that complex.

TV License information - http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/media/tv_licences.html

If you want to discuss the legality of it all, you can go to the Legal Discussion area of boards.ie
      If you disagree with how the law is, or want to share views on how it should be or how it could be changed, then there is a Politics section on boards.ie too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Rabbit ears will get you irish channels, depending on the area even a coathanger will. The current licensing model is brilliant in its simplicity/stupidity.

Not entirely true- RTE Networks advise almost 7% of the area of the country- including some parts of Dublin- but mostly remote/mountainous areas- are incapable of receiving a terrestrial signal. Even some relatively urban areas- such as West Dublin/North Kildare- need large external antennas to pick up Kippure- and local authorities have been vigorously chasing those with such antennas. In Lucan village- there are installers doing flying trade installing Saorsat receivers for those who don't want to pay UPC or Sky for the privilege of watching RTE (ontop of the fee).

The TV licence is a locational licence to possess equipment capable of displaying a TV signal in a property. The lack of a signal is immaterial.

There are plans to merge TV licences into the Property tax- to ease the costs associated with collection/enforcement- and the Minister has stated in the Dáil that all habitable properties should be considered liable.......... Given the Revenue Commissioners collect the Property Tax- I wish anyone who is inclined to dispute the tax the very best of good luck.

This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement