Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Couch to 5k thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

True, I was looking at doing my runs in the morning though. I'll go pick up the gear anyway some day this week and see how it goes :cool:

I expect a report here by the end of the week of your first run ;)

You've made the decision to start something. That's half the battle done. Don't let yourself talk yourself out of it now !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

First day done. Slowed up towards the end but pushed through and did it :cool:. Felt really sick after but good now and looking forward to day 2.

First day done. Slowed up towards the end but pushed through and did it :cool:. Felt really sick after but good now and looking forward to day 2.

Super stuff. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Did Week 7 Day 3 on Saturday and it was by far and away the hardest one yet, even though I had done that same run 3 times already. It was the first time I have ever considered stopping before the end, but I managed to get it done even though I was dizzy by the time I finished and was unsteady on my feet.

It wasn't until later that evening when I had a banging headache and nausea that I realised I wasn't well, so that explains that. Also I probably shouldn't have been wearing a hoodie when it was 16 degrees with bright sun. :pac:

Anyway, week 8 starts tonight and my pace is still on target for 5k in under 30 mins!

Good man. Keep it up, it's very satisfying! :D

Super stuff. :)
    Good man. Keep it up, it's very satisfying! :D

Thanks lads! :)

• Advertisement

Thanks lads! :)

Also, if you're pushing yourself hard enough that you felt sick, consider running a bit slower throughout next time.

As the girl on my podcast keeps saying, it's not about speed at this point, it's about building your stamina. If you're making yourself feel sick it might discourage you from getting out and doing the next one.

Also, if you're pushing yourself hard enough that you felt sick, consider running a bit slower throughout next time.

As the girl on my podcast keeps saying, it's not about speed at this point, it's about building your stamina. If you're making yourself feel sick it might discourage you from getting out and doing the next one.

I was thinking my jogging was a little fast, bordering running. Definitely going to slow it down next time, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I was thinking my jogging was a little fast, bordering running. Definitely going to slow it down next time, thanks.

I believe the important thing with c25k is completing the time.

You can always up the pace for the latter parts of your session if your feeling good or finding things too easy, I used to try start out nice an easy and then up the pace as i got into the workout finish with a one minute sprint if I had it left in me.

Yes! Hell yes! Just finished Week 8 Day 1:

302283.PNG

I'm not gonna lie, I'm feeling pretty pleased with myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Yes! Hell yes! Just finished Week 8 Day 1:

302283.PNG

I'm not gonna lie, I'm feeling pretty pleased with myself!

And do you should be!! Keep it up!

• Advertisement

So having done the c25k a few weeks ago and eager to continue I decided to start the bridge 2-10k programme. Have been out twice this week and surprised how good I felt after each run!!

If any of you are in doubt as to if you can do it........YES YOU FREAKIN CAN!! If I can then anyone can!!

Hoping to be running 10k by June at earliest!

EDIT....Goddam shin splint too ggrrrrrr!!

frag420 wrote: »
    So having done the c25k a few weeks ago and eager to continue I decided to start the bridge 2-10k programme. Have been out twice this week and surprised how good I felt after each run!!

If any of you are in doubt as to if you can do it........YES YOU FREAKIN CAN!! If I can then anyone can!!

Nice, did my second 5k in week 8 today and I still can't imagine doing 7k! Fair play to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

frag420 wrote: »

Well done frag420. Sounds like you're enjoying it too. Enjoy the build up to 10k. No bother to ya:D Hope you get the shin splints sorted.
    And to re-iterate your point, if I could do it ANYONE can... just stick with it folks, slow and steady

Week 1 done :)

Week 1 done :)

Well done! Bet you're glad already that you didn't let yourself postpone until June?

By June you'll already be running 5k. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Week 2 day 3 today.

Im already starting to feel the benefits and really looking forward to it.

Thanks to everybody in this thread.It really motivates you!

Goodbye Week 2

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I'm going to start this next week when I get back home.

I have the Run Double app. Should I do the timed version or the distance one?

I don't know if I will have coverage for all of the run so that may affect the distance measuring. Or will it?

I'm going to start this next week when I get back home.

I have the Run Double app. Should I do the timed version or the distance one?

I don't know if I will have coverage for all of the run so that may affect the distance measuring. Or will it?

Id say it depends on your level of fitness , your age and general health, If you've been inactive for a long period of time , Smoke, or are really unfit i'd go for the timed version as it would be a little easier that the distance version. You probably won't do the 5k in 30 minutes within the timescale of the program but you will have 5k in 30 mins as a goal to motivate you when you have completed the program.

If your generally reasonably healthy and just a bit out of shape and have age on your side you may find 5 k in 30 minutes quite easily achievable and in that case going for distance would be ok for you.

Injured again.......not been out since Tue. Fight foot slightly swollen, prob from over doing it as I went out two days in a row and did over 7k each day.

Going to try again tomorrow!!

• Advertisement

The Muppet wrote: »
    Id say it depends on your level of fitness , your age and general health, If you've been inactive for a long period of time , Smoke, or are really unfit i'd go for the timed version as it would be a little easier that the distance version. You probably won't do the 5k in 30 minutes within the timescale of the program but you will have 5k in 30 mins as a goal to motivate you when you have completed the program.

If your generally reasonably healthy and just a bit out of shape and have age on your side you may find 5 k in 30 minutes quite easily achievable and in that case going for distance would be ok for you.

Thanks. In that case I think I'll do the distance.

How long does the session usually last? I want to try and get it in before work. I'm leaving about 35 minutes aside for it. Is that realistic?

Thanks. In that case I think I'll do the distance.

How long does the session usually last? I want to try and get it in before work. I'm leaving about 35 minutes aside for it. Is that realistic?

The timed one lasts about 30 - 35 mins but the distance one could be more variable, depending on how long it takes you to cover the distance I suppose.

The timed one lasts about 30 - 35 mins but the distance one could be more variable, depending on how long it takes you to cover the distance I suppose.

I'll give it a shot and see. I'll be on again next weekend to give an update.

The times ones take 30 minutes starting off including 5 mins warm up and warm down and progress to 40 mins in the finale week warm up and down and 30 minutes running.

Stick to the plan, and do some stretches after each run, Calf , Hamstrings etc the best of luck with it.

Well day one of Week 3 was very hard, particularly the last 3 minute run I was dying and had to stop.

That said I went offroad and uphill today which probably was not a good idea in hindsight, ran for about 4 - 5 mins back to the car downhill to make up for that failed 3 minutes.

Back to my normal route on Wednesday thankfully

Well day one of Week 3 was very hard, particularly the last 3 minute run I was dying and had to stop.

That said I went offroad and uphill today which probably was not a good idea in hindsight, ran for about 4 - 5 mins back to the car downhill to make up for that failed 3 minutes.

Back to my normal route on Wednesday thankfully

Hot weather won't help either !

Try adjust the pace for the hills. Slow down a bit. Keep effort constant rather than pace and you will be grand.

Delighted to see you still at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

So whats the general consensus on the best app to use for this please?

Thargor wrote: »

To be honest they are much of a muchness. Personally I used an app called get running (couch to 5k) and that worked out very well for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

Thargor wrote: »

I use C25K by Zen Labs and like it so I haven't tried any others. I can use Runkeeper at the same time and that gives me the distance covered and speed.

• Advertisement

I've just finished day 2 of week 1. I pressed the off button on my final run so all my data is gone.

I'm just posting before I forget the times.

I was going for over 3 km for the run. I did my first 3 runs at a 4 min. pace. My fourth was at 3 and a half. The final ones were looking like all at 4 and a half.

Hopefully I won't turn it off in future. I'm getting an armband next week.

Advertisement