Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Queen Elizabeth II to visit Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

This thread is full of crap about moving on.
    The only moving on I'm looking forward to is the British forces moving on back to their own island.
    When that's complete, Betty can come to Ireland as often as she likes, her and her racist hubby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Ok, I would like to see an apology for events which she oversaw as head of state in the six counties, acts that were undertaken both by the state, and her armed forces. I think that is fair. I also think it would be nice to see her pay her respects to the victims of the famine, lay a wreath etc.

But the question remains, if she is not coming in a reconciliatory way why is she coming at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

you can never apologise for cromwell

The problem with Cromwell is the Irish cant forget and the English cant remember

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Could she not just visit Belfast and send a e-mail to the republic...to say hello.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

This particular visit is generating a lot of heat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Had a very interesting conversation with someone about this at lunch. This individual is totally against the visit yet, get ready for it folks, he :

- Is looking for a ticket for the corporate levels for the Dublin game on Sunday, so he can keep an eye on the England game.

- Is an avid Liverpool fan who travels over to watch them regularly and also goes to their games in Europe. He doesnt support the irish team as "Liverpool is more important to him".

- Sees no problem in going accross the border every weekend to do his shopping. He doesn't really understand that the money he is spending goes into the British economy.

Personally, I have no issue with the queen coming to visit us. More than happy to see her here.

COYW wrote: »
    Had a very interesting conversation with someone about this at lunch. This individual is totally against the visit yet, get ready for it folks, he :

- Is looking for a ticket for the corporate levels for the Dublin game on Sunday, so he can keep an eye on the England game.

- Is an avid Liverpool fan who travels over to watch them regularly and also goes to their games in Europe.

- Sees no problem in going accross the border every weekend to do his shopping. He doesn't really understand that the money he is spending goes into the British economy.

Personally, I have no issue with the queen coming to visit us. More than happy to see her here.

Keep tugging that forelock.
    While you're at it, you could usefully contemplate the possibility that many Irish people have interest in British culture and respect for the British people while detesting the British authority claim to our island in the name of their monarch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

I'm indifferent to her visit.

Yes, Britain's involvement in our history for 800 years cannot be denied.
    On the other side, the number of people who moved to Britain to live/work and build a life is huge.

So I can see both sides of the argument for the pro side and the anti side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

djpbarry wrote: »
    On behalf of the British people, which includes Lizzy.

Thats just 1 thing......there was also the masacre at Croke Park, Black and Tans etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

detesting the British authority claim to our island in the name of their monarch.

I'd like to re-quote post 62. The people responsible are long dead. The England that exists now is not the British Empire that ruled Ireland and ran the East India Company.

• Advertisement

Brendog wrote: »
    Thats just 1 thing......there was also the masacre at Croke Park, Black and Tans etc. etc.
    Wait! Dont you know? Because it happened in the past and those people are dead it doesn't matter! Who cares about that it is in the past!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I see no problem with welcoming a democratic elected person from England (or any state).
    Totally regardless of past history (be it good or bad), I won't however be bowing, curtsying or belittling myself (and possibly my home country) by shaking hands with someone who is holding a position only by non-elected, bloodline only, snobbish means.

Just to be clear, if Norway (or whomever) sends a king/queen/court jester having prior by democratic means, nominated to a position - I too should respect that and meet them as the representative of that office - as I will expect there to be one, fully working and all, not just be a holder of an honorary useless title.

Biggins wrote: »
    I see no problem with welcoming a democratic elected person from England (or any state).
    Totally regardless of past history (be it good or bad), I won't however be bowing, curtsying or belittling myself (and possibly my home country) by shaking hands with someone who is holding a position only by non-elected, bloodline only, snobbish means.
    Then when you add to that the fact that she still claims part of our island you get part of the reason why so many have objections to her visit.

eightyfish wrote: »
    I'd like to re-quote post 62. The people responsible are long dead. The England that exists now is not the British Empire that ruled Ireland and ran the East India Company.

You obviously haven't heard that the British maintain a colony on the north-east of this island to this day, then?
    I concur in relation to apologies, however. They're nonsense, intended solely to keep the populace in Ireland like you quiet and acquiescent to the ongoing denial of nationhood to Ireland by the British.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

east india company-the dutch one or the british one,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

id be fine with the ould wan coming here. its about time really.

they do however always make the royals do some ethnic stuff when they arive. personally i would love her to do an updated version os sez she

You obviously haven't heard that the British maintain a colony on the north-east of this island to this day, then?

I don't agree with you, but I'm not going there as it's off topic.

I've no interest in seeing the queen here, but I have no problem with her visiting. She herself seems all right by all accounts. (Can't say the same for other members of her family...) I hate the anti-Britishness that prevails in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

NI is a colony?:confused: Under what definition?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

id be fine with the ould wan coming here. its about time really.

they do however always make the royals do some ethnic stuff when they arive. personally i would love her to do an updated version os sez she

And what of her bumbling husband Prince Philip, is he coming too?
    I wonder what famous slur he will land on this fair nation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Just another point.
    What would be the costs in her coming?

I ask because FF turned down recently funds much needed for Crumlin hospital.
    Now I can see the justification of some money to be spent on welcoming a foreign minister of some description that might come with business, be it industrial and/or leisure industry, etc - however I can't see how the Mrs Elizibeth Winsor (last name correct?) is going to sit down, sign formal papers and legal agreements that might subsequently bring about further revenue to our state.

All I can see is the millions that was needed (and still is) for a hospital (for simple single example), going to be wasted instead to pay for this non-elected citizen to come over and be given 5 star luxuries.

I can think of better people, Irish people in the Dublin Rape Crises Centre and other charities/organisations that deserve that sort of treatment more so!

• Advertisement

COYW wrote: »

- Is an avid Liverpool fan who travels over to watch them regularly and also goes to their games in Europe. He doesnt support the irish team as "Liverpool is more important to him".

kind of reminds me of
    1760171.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Look if we have to pay for the fecking pope this year, ye can pay for Brenda next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Just another point.
    What would be the costs in her coming?

I ask because FF turned down recently funds much needed for Crumlin hospital.
    Now I can see the justification of some money to be spent on welcoming a foreign minister of some description that might come with business, be it industrial and/or leisure industry, etc - however I can't see how the Mrs Elizibeth Winsor (last name correct?) is going to sit down, sign formal papers and legal agreements that might subsequently bring about further revenue to our state.

All I can see is the millions that was needed (and still is) for a hospital (for simple single example), going to be wasted instead to pay for this non-elected citizen to come over and be given 5 star luxuries.

I can think of better people, Irish people in the Dublin Rape Crises Centre and other charities/organisations that deserve that sort of treatment more so!

Cost is just another red herring dragged up by the anti-British brigade. Any properly organised visit would pay back the associated costs in spades through increased tourism, trade links etc - just like any other high profile VIP visit. Clearly by the whole nuance of your post you're anti-British; And, no your spelling of both the Queen's names is incorrect.

However, as I said earlier in this thread I don't think the time is right for security reasons and judging by some of the posts here and feedback on Joe Duffy I suspect that it would do more harm than good. Great distraction for Biffo though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Just as I said that... it's on Joe Duffy now.

He had a text poll (for or against the visit) that was open for 10 minutes and received 9971 responses.

6,548 for the visit
    3,513 against the visit

dvpower wrote: »
    NI is a colony?:confused: Under what definition?

How about the definition used by the Ulster-Scots Agency?
    The Plantation of Ulster was the organised colonisation of Ulster by people from Britain. Private plantation by wealthy landowners began in 1606, while official plantation controlled by the monarchy began in 1609. All land owned by Irish chieftains the Ó Neills and Ó Donnells (along with those of their supporters) were confiscated and used to settle the colonists. This land comprised an estimated half a million acres (4,000 km²) in the counties Tyrconnell, Tyrone, Fermanagh, Cavan, Coleraine and Armagh (wasteland, woodland and bogland were uncounted).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Then when you add to that the fact that she still claims part of our island...
    It’s neither “our” island nor “her” island – it’s just a feckin’ island. With people on it. Some of whom get incredibly upset about people drawing imaginary lines on their lovely rock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Joe Duffy's online poll of more than 9,000 people - should the Queen be welcomed to Ireland was split 35% NO and 65% YES. For me that represents at its best potential disorder and a PR disaster for Ireland and at its worst a serious security threat to the royal party.

And what of her bumbling husband Prince Philip, is he coming too?
    I wonder what famous slur he will land on this fair nation.

i can't wait. he's always good for a laugh. it'll be something leprechaun or pig under the arm based

JWhat would be the costs in her coming? I ask because FF turned down recently funds much needed for Crumlin hospital.

Ah come off it, you can use that argument to give out about the govt spending money on anything other then Children's hospitals. As Joe pointed out a few minutes ago- the army and Garda are already there. They're perfect for jobs like this.
    dvpower wrote: »
    6,548 for the visit
    3,513 against the visit

I'm relieved!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

How about the definition used by the Ulster-Scots Agency?
    The Plantation of Ulster was the organised colonisation of Ulster by people from Britain. Private plantation by wealthy landowners began in 1606, while official plantation controlled by the monarchy began in 1609. All land owned by Irish chieftains the Ó Neills and Ó Donnells (along with those of their supporters) were confiscated and used to settle the colonists. This land comprised an estimated half a million acres (4,000 km²) in the counties Tyrconnell, Tyrone, Fermanagh, Cavan, Coleraine and Armagh (wasteland, woodland and bogland were uncounted).
    And of course, we all know that nothing in Northern Ireland has changed over the last 400-odd years, has it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement