Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permission

• 08-09-2014 3:50pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭

Hi, if you are putting together a book on a theme that included pther people's stories, do you need to get these people's permission?

Say (not my idea, but the same layout) if you are writing a book on ten people who had made successful online businesses, do you need to get these people's permission?

What if you were replicating some things they said in other interviews, do you need to get any permission for that.

I can't find this information anywhere,

thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

You don't need permission to write about people, but you need to be sure as sure that what you're saying is correct. The best way to do this is to get in contact with them.

To reproduce segments of interviews you will need to contact the party who first published it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

You can write about people without their consent, but make sure everything you say is 100% accurate. You'd be amazed at how tiny the details successful libel cases have been based on.

If you are using quotes from other people's interviews, I would check first with the person who said it. Sometimes a quote in an interview is out of context or not exactly right, and you could get into trouble if you repeat it.

Advertisement