Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PETA, are you f*cking serious?

• 07-02-2012 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

bbc wrote:
    Five killer whales have been named as plaintiffs in a lawsuit which argues they deserve the same constitutional protection from slavery as humans.

A US judge is considering a complaint by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals' (Peta) against SeaWorld.

It is reportedly the first time a US court has heard legal arguments over whether animals should enjoy the same constitutional protections as humans.

SeaWorld's legal team said the case was a waste of time and resources.

The marine park's lawyer, Theodore Shaw, told the court in San Diego: "Neither orcas nor any other animal were included in the 'We the people'... when the Constitution was adopted."

He said that if the case were successful, it could have implications not just on how other marine parks or zoos operate, but even on the police use of sniffer dogs to detect bombs and drugs.

'Historic case'

Peta says the killer whales are treated like slaves for being forced to live in tanks and perform daily at the SeaWorld parks in California and Florida.

It is not considered likely that the whales will win their freedom, but campaigners said they were pleased the case even made it to a courtroom.

The lawsuit invokes the 13th Amendment to the constitution, which abolished "slavery or involuntary servitude" in the US.

Jeffrey Kerr, the lawyer representing the five whales, said: "For the first time in our nation's history, a federal court heard arguments as to whether living, breathing, feeling beings have rights and can be enslaved simply because they happen to not have been born human.

"By any definition these orcas have been enslaved here."

Hearing the arguments for about an hour, US District Judge Jeffrey Miller raised concerns over whether animals could be represented as plaintiffs in a lawsuit.

He will issue a ruling at a later date.

Peta names the five wild-captured orca plaintiffs as Tilikum and Katina, at SeaWorld Orlando; and Kasatka, Corky, and Ulises, at SeaWorld San Diego.

It is not Tilikum's first time in the media spotlight - he drowned his trainer before horrified spectators in February 2010, prompting a ban on the Florida park's employees entering the water to perform tricks with the orcas.

The same whale has also been linked to two other deaths.

Now I’m all for treating animals ok, no kicking them down stairs, setting them on fire etc but seriously?

In my opinion PETA do more harm than good to animal welfare. If they had been sane and explained in a calm manner that the whales were obviously in distress (by science not aura or feeling) and attempted something through the courts that way in an effort to improve conditions, get them released then fine.

But calling the Whales plaintiffs is just causing a mockery of the Justice system and people like me who care about animals suddenly find themselves distancing from the ideas of these nutters.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I PETA the fool(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Peta should be fined for wasting court time with this utterly pointless action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Free Willy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

God damn tree whale huggers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

How come PETA don't sue sharks for subjugating other marine life?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

People Eating Tasty Animals. Nomnomnomnom

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Five killer whales have been named as plaintiffs...

Prejudiuce stereotyping in this report. I recon they aren't going to have a fair trail. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

PETA are like poor people. If you ignore them they will go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Sure, so I take it, we can then take animals to court for killing other animals. I for can't wait for the class action suit by Gazelles, Zebra's etc, against Lions and Tigers.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Prejudiuce stereotyping in this report. I recon they aren't going to have a fair trail. :(

The Daily Mail version will read "5 BLACK KILLER whales.........."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

The conceptual difference between slavery and animal captivity is surely that slavery can only be committed against a person.

So PETA are effectively arguing that these orcas are people.

Now obviously defining personhood is a tricky issue, one that's still hotly debated.
    I don't think I need to go into all the possible criteria for defining a person, but I think as an animal-lover I can safely say that whales are not people.

It's silly stunts like this that make me hate PETA for giving animal-rights activism a bad image.

Anyway, whales aren't plaintiffs, they're mammals. Pfft!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Are there orca lawyers??

I want one!

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

It is not Tilikum's first time in the media spotlight - he drowned his trainer before horrified spectators in February 2010, prompting a ban on the Florida park's employees entering the water to perform tricks with the orcas.

The same whale has also been linked to two other deaths

Tilikum should be brought before the court on charges of first-degree murder (manslaughter at least) by this logic :pac:

What a pack of f**king clowns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Who the hell is orca-strating this trial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

PETA should stick to having naked Supermodels do adverts for whatever it is they are campaigning about.

The 'I'd rather go naked than (whatever it was)' adverts. They were good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I think animal should have right just not human ones.

I seen that place and the Whales it is amazing but the days of sporting animals for human display has probably had its day, even some circuses don't do that any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I will never forgive PETA for Super Tofu Boy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Skid wrote: »
    PETA should stick to having naked Supermodels do adverts for whatever it is they are campaigning about.

The 'I'd rather go naked than (whatever it was)' adverts. They were good.

don't forget the vegans have better sex one too,

obviously they never seen or tried that scene in hot shots.

Or got completly messy and kinky and use blood for lube, sausages for dildos and 2 steaks to act like flaps

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

PETA have a list of companies that should be boycotted for testing their products on animals. One of the companies is Pedigree Chum...

That says it all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Bringing animals to court isn't anything new. It happened in the middle ages, although the animals were accused of crimes rather than having their freedom defended.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_trial

I remember seeing a film years ago which was a true story about a pig who was put on trial. I couldn't remember the name but after searching Google I think it was called The Hour Of The Pig. I remember the tagline on the cover of the video was something like "the defendant is a pig and the law is an ass".

I do think animals should have rights by the way. I don't think you can apply human rights to them though, or else lions will be on trial for murdering gazelles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

I'm currently suing a badger for slander.

• That's all well and good, but where are they going to find a courthouse big enough for 5 killer whales?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

That's all well and good, but where are they going to find a courthouse big enough for 5 killer whales?
    They're innocent... the glove doesn't fit!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

That's all well and good, but where are they going to find a courthouse big enough for 5 killer whales?

Limerick, have you seen the whales that have been in court down there?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

PETA members and all their supporters are just terrorists really, they value animals lives above people.

PETA members have been involved in many deaths of scientists and researchers in the name of 'animal rights'

PETA and ALF members have to be some of the most retarded people in the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

PETA are a bunch of animals.

Wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

It's silly stunts like this that make me hate PETA for giving animal-rights activism a bad image.

That and arson and other terrorist acts that they and their buddies partake in.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭CucaFace

As much as you are right they are a bunch of muppets with how they have tried to make their point here, their actual point that whales should not be kept in tanks to perform for the amusement of humans is actually morally correct.

If anyone has seen this documentary they will know how badly many ex trainers of these mammals now thinks it effects Dolphins and i would imangine it would be the same for Killer Whales :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cove_(film)

Great Watch by the way. Especially around dinner time. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I think PETA activists should chain themselves to the whales as a protest instead.

Advertisement