Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WP8 / WIN8 Game

Options
  • 12-10-2013 5:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

Hi Guys

I have bit of experience building apps for wp 7/8 and windows 8.

I wanna learn to code games for wp8 and win8. Nothing complicated. Just 2D graphics e.g Object moving on screen by some user input (likes of taps or accelerometer) and avoiding collision with something.

I tried doing it with simple C# and XAML but the performance is way too "not cool". Then I started looking in to XNA and then MonoGame. But cannot quiet get it. Can someone do a nice beginners post on it or point in a direction. Please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

http://www.cocos2d-x.org

Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 support in Cocos2d-X. Excellent tutorials and support, it's the C++ port of Cocos2d. I couldn't even begin to count how many iPhone games that helped create.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

I'd recommend Unity tbh, plus you get the added bonus of basically being able to deploy to any conceivable platform from the same C# codebase.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭iwantthat

Do you know where i can find tutorials for both platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Their respective home pages would be an excellent place to start.

Just had a look at Unity and I'm with ChRoMe, they've added dedicated 2D renderer support with some nice utilities since I last checked it out too. I'm biased towards Cocos2d-x et al because I'm mostly a C++ programmer. The only C# I do these days is for back end and web app stuff.

Advertisement