Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pictures, pictures, pictures!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gorwanvfr

smokingman wrote: »
    Wow, very nice!
    what size screen do ya have there?
    Got mine from ebay (american power seller) cause it was so expensive everywhere else. T'was 1700 in the end. Some shops in Ireland are looking for 2600 and upwards!

Its 106" tab tensioned electric so it goes in to the ceiling, I know what you mean about the prices here they are crazy and the choice is not great. if you scroll up the thread I have some more pics posted of the screen both up and down and the proj covered and uncovered. There is a large picture of a lighthouse that covers the proj when not in use. Everything is automated so press the button on the remote, the screen comes down, the pictures comes down, proj, bluray and amp turn on. So all that’s left to do is sit back and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭smokingman

gorwanvfr wrote: »
    Its 106" tab tensioned electric so it goes in to the ceiling, I know what you mean about the prices here they are crazy and the choice is not great. if you scroll up the thread I have some more pics posted of the screen both up and down and the proj covered and uncovered. There is a large picture of a lighthouse that covers the proj when not in use. Everything is automated so press the button on the remote, the screen comes down, the pictures comes down, proj, bluray and amp turn on. So all that’s left to do is sit back and enjoy.

I'm due a Logitech Harmony 895 in the post soon so can't wait for that one button experience meself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gorwanvfr

smokingman wrote: »
    I'm due a Logitech Harmony 895 in the post soon so can't wait for that one button experience meself :)
    Thats the one I have its great very easy to set up using the online system and the RF extenders are fantastic. A good remote all round bit heavy on batteries just have to remember to put it in it's charger at the end of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

I posted my set-up on the bottom of the 3rd page of this thread, but now have built a screen, it cost €130 to complete and I am really happy with the result.
    A big thanks for the research into the paint was done by a few lads on a different website, ( I don't know if I am allowed to post a link :confused:)

summer 2008 004.JPG

summer 2008 011.JPG

summer 2008 014.JPG

summer 2008 015.JPG

summer 2008 007.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭smokingman

Looking fine there dude, what kind of projector do you have?
    Rope light is sweet.....cheap, yet effective. Did you get it in a bricks&mortar shop or did you get it online like I did?

I posted my set-up on the bottom of the 3rd page of this thread, but now have built a screen, it cost €130 to complete and I am really happy with the result.
    A big thanks for the research into the paint was done by a few lads on a different website, ( I don't know if I am allowed to post a link :confused:)

summer 2008 004.JPG

summer 2008 011.JPG

summer 2008 014.JPG

summer 2008 015.JPG

summer 2008 007.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Thanks smokingman,
    I have to admit I prefer the thicker border that you built, it really enhances the screen. You have a really nice projector too, I hope to upgrade to that one day.
    The rope light was just shop bought €24 for 8ft.
    The projector I have is a Panasonic PTAX 100e bought last summer on adverts.ie for €780, its hooked up to PS3, Wii, internet & Yamaha RX V361 surround Sound.
    I have the projector, rope light and cooling fan on a socket remote which is handy.
    Its not a great picture but the only one I have.

camera 14-11-07 017.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

summer 2008 004.JPG

summer 2008 011.JPG

summer 2008 014.JPG

summer 2008 015.JPG

summer 2008 007.JPG

Wow fantasitic set up well done indeed.!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

2777987053_f2921ab1d9.jpg?v=0

2777989523_8a62a35eba.jpg?v=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭johnnyflav

Thought i might just show off my latest setup. kef's all round for sound, 875 onkyo to drive them and a pio 5090 for video. very pleased with the results

P1000121.jpg?t=1226961326

ps, that TV in the corner is the one that came with the apartment, quite a jump moving up to 50"

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Mark#1

johnnyflav wrote: »
    Thought i might just show off my latest setup. kef's all round for sound, 875 onkyo to drive them and a pio 5090 for video. very pleased with the results

P1000121.jpg?t=1226961326

ps, that TV in the corner is the one that came with the apartment, quite a jump moving up to 50"

Sweet, sweet, sweet.

There's something nice about modern tech in a rough setting like that (I say that with respect - not derogatorily towards the bare decor).

Mark

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 lavman

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Hifi Keith

Mod Edit:

This area is for people to show their own home set-ups, not for showing off commercial setups or demonstration rooms.

HiFiKeith,

You've already been advised about commercial activity, see http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59565052&postcount=3 if you need a reminder. Infracted, the next time you can take a holiday from these forums.

Ritz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

Here`s me Samsung series 6, 40" she`s the biz

DarkKnight.jpg

DarkKnight3.jpg

DarkKnight4.jpg

Havent really done all that much though have you, you just hung a samsung which isn't even all that impressive a tv

Hifi Keith wrote: »
    Havent really done all that much though have you, you just hung a samsung which isn't even all that impressive a tv

Its is very immpressive for the price of it, it does the job, what you got?

Pioneer 507, Yamaha ysp900 and hidden Sky HD box and REL strata III sub in the living room

Does`nt look all that nice, nice size tough, Yamaha ysp900 not a bad piece of kit, good for movies but not really for music, also helps if your walls are bare better for sound reflection :eek:
    You got any pics?

Ysp is purely for TV and Movies, my sound setup is a lot more serious

I have some Crimson 610/630s and Ruark floorspeakers in that room

14072009276001.jpg

Oohhhhhhh, no recession on around here lol

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Adam anto

It's modest compared to some of the amazing setups in here but it does the trick for me :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭covey09

Thought id post a link here sicince i got a lot of help for guy on here any have a look if you want, i will post pic of the finished room soon

http://www.avforums.com/forums/members-home-cinema-gallery/1079091-west-ireland-home-cinema.html

Wow how great

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Bad call on the Philips 42" I dont rate their tvs at all Pioneer (far too expensive though), Panasonic (my preference) or Sharp would all be far better

what is your problem? you have posted nothing but negative comments about the systems in here, lewis "just hung a tv", covey made a bad call on the tv.

belittling every setup on here isn't very clever, especially when your own setup is nothing special. even if you don't agree with their choices keep it to yourself...people post their setups on here out of pride...someone knocking them just for the sake of it doesn't do anyone any good...

I orignially bought a 40" samsung but the frame around the TV meant it was bigger that a 42", bought the Philips for budget reason, but am happy with it it does seem not to like far camera shot like in football, but for moves its very good.

I'm not belittling, his house looks amazing, he said himself he wasn't impressed with the picture quality of Philips

Well said mosstm, whats the point on saying anything negative. As far as posting here, i got a lot of help and would have made a complete arse of the whole thing if it were'nt for the advice of the people on here.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

@Hi Fi Keith
    Bad call on the Philips 42" I dont rate their tvs at all .............
    I'm not belittling

You can see from the reactions of the people concerned that your remarks are, to say the least of it, unhelpful. This thread is not intended for technical critique, more for show off, as has been indicated. If you have nothing constuctive to say, stay away. <Snip>

Ritz.

covey09 wrote: »
    Well said mosstm, whats the point on saying anything negative. As far as posting here, i got a lot of help and would have made a complete arse of the whole thing if it were'nt for the advice of the people on here.

As I said above I'm not belittling I'm just making others aware that Philips wouldn't be known for brilliant picture quality

Sports is the main one for noticing really because its fast moving, high colour contrast, higher Hz means you get a smoother picture and of course a HD source will improve picture quality. Have you got a long run of cable between tv and source? or perhaps interferrence from electrical cables in proximity

A tumbleweed roll across the dusty sun scorched path as the moderator walks off in to the sun set, with his words still ring in there ears “ That’s enough guys, I’m the law in theses parts”.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

his house looks amazing,

not trying to pick a fight, even that bit in front of what you said above would have made it better...

but i doubt 90% of the users on here walked into the shop, bought a tv but didn't look longingly at the more expensive higher range/bigger screens...to be reminded of this when they get home isn't exactly what they want or need...

as long as they get a smile on their face when they watch a movie/listen to some music who cares if there is better out there...

me on the other hand, if someone told me i'd have been better of buying bryston amps, a full set of PMC PB1i's and a Sim2 Grand Cinema C3X 180 i'd just agree with them..:)

Advertisement