Knitting - help and advice super thread! - Page 79 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-12-2014, 09:10   #1171
Gatica

Also do you mean a line that's horizontal or vertical?
How are the increases done, i.e. does the pattern specify it? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Increase_%28knitting%29) Usually at the end of a row a new loop is thrown onto the needle so that you start the next row with that extra stitch. The new row should be started following the pattern, e.g. the rib that you're doing...
Advertisement
18-12-2014, 10:31   #1172
TreasureBin

You need to follow the stitches.
If, for example, you start the row with a knit stitch and then purl stitch, after increasing you will need to start with a purl stitch and then knit stitch, if you see what I mean?
So, before you work the stitch, look at it to see if it should be knit or purl to keep your design the same.
I'm guessing it says in the pattern something like ("keeping all stitches correct")
Thanks from:
18-12-2014, 22:56   #1173
helqui

Hi Gatica. The lines are horizontal. The pattern just says to increase and working into patt 1 st at each end of 5th row and every following 12th row. I increased by knitting into front and back of stitch. Also the row is all knit with a sl st at the beginning. Thanks for ur reply :-D
18-12-2014, 23:07   #1174
helqui

Hi TreasureBin, it says to continue in pattern. Which is Row 1 (right side) Sl 1 knit to end. Row 2 Sl 1 Pl, K1 below repeat to last 2 sts, P1, K1. Do I increase after the Sl stitch and again at the last stitch? I can't work out how to keep the pattern consistant. Thanks a mill for replying :-D
19-12-2014, 08:46   #1175
Gatica

Many knitters slip the first stitch to keep the edges smoother, if you're increasing at the start of a row, it may be best not to slip the first stitch, but to do the increase with that first stitch.
Here's a whole list (as on wiki but with videos) of different increases: http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/increases. Best one for increasing by one at the start of a row would probably be what you're doing, knit front and back of first stitch, then continue, no need to slip the first stitch. After you do this just look at your knitting to make sure that your increase looks smooth on the RS where you did the knit increase, sometimes if you don't put the needle in the right way you could end up with what looks like a purl on the RS of your fabric. I can't figure how your horizontal line is forming, but you might be pulling your knitting too tight and it makes your whole row tighten. Is that it?
Does it actually say to do an increase at the start and end of each row or just to increase on both sides? Most of the time increases are done inside the selvedge stitches (like 1 or 2 knit stitches that border your knitting so you can sew pieces together) if doing increases on both side. If it's an increase at the very edge of you rows, then I haven't really seen them done at the start of a row, but rather you do them at the end of each row that you knit, and if you're doing an even number of rows, the increases work out pretty even on both sides.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
Yesterday, 19:18   #1176
helqui

Thanks Gatica and TreasureBin for the advice. Redoing the sleeve and its perfect. Delighted :-D
Yesterday, 19:18   #1177
helqui

Thanks Gatica and TreasureBin for the advice. Redoing the sleeve and its perfect. Delighted :-D

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion