Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Off Topic Thread...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

Don't drink more than a litre then.....???
    Having two is not going to make you any healthier tbh.
    Pint of water first thing in the morning. Bring a 500ml bottle with you to work and have it after lunch or sip on it throughout the day.
    It's definitely not something to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Lads, Chicken wings destroyed in Franks

OMG

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

Lads, Chicken wings Anything destroyed in Franks

OMG

FYP

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Evidence for cold showers after exercise.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD008262.pub2/abstract

Apparently good for leaning out too, via hormesis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Can't you get keto headaches after 1 day without a depletetion work out?

EDIT: Tested blood sugar using diabetic's kit. 3.8, she kinda freaked when she saw that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

I've got a few questions,

Wtf are 'plant sterols'?
    How have they been 'proven'?
    What have they 'proven'?
    Why is the third ingredient on the list (from the drink one)Glucose-Fructose Syrup?
    Why are they allowed to advertise that the products are healthy?

This is more of a rant than actual questions, had dinner made for me yesterday, was dreading it, I hadn't a clue what I was going to eat. I knew gravy was out, I'd put a little potato on the plate, loaded up with veg, and brought my own butter(garlic and herb) dessert was for me vanilla icecream topped with stuff I brought with me:o (brazil nuts, 85% choc, dried apricots)
    They have a load of that flora stuff in the fridge and I had a look at ingredients/nutritional info on it:eek: I'd nearly consider sending off an email about false advertising but it wouldn't get anywhere, more so since I'm overweight with high cholestrol (not even my doctors worried about that)
    It's really annoying when people don't listen. I wish more people in this country would have a healthier attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Orla K wrote: »
    Why is the third ingredient on the list (from the drink one)Glucose-Fructose Syrup?

Its High Fructose Corn Syrup

I know, just wondering why they're putting it in something thats ment to be healthy

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Red Cortina

I'm shocked ..... Robb Wolf saying 'Metformin is one of those rare “good” drugs that seem to provide significant benefit and at relatively little risk and cost.' :eek: That's not the usual Paleo schtick that he comes out with!!!

http://www.robbwolf.com/2012/03/09/paleo-diet-inflammation-metformin/

I'm shocked ..... Robb Wolf saying 'Metformin is one of those rare “good” drugs that seem to provide significant benefit and at relatively little risk and cost.' :eek: That's not the usual Paleo schtick that he comes out with!!!

http://www.robbwolf.com/2012/03/09/paleo-diet-inflammation-metformin/

No-one in the world could argue that metformin is not an amazing treatment that is very well tolerated though. It's a wonder drug in the true sense of the world, and it's generic.

I'm all for diet and preventing disease but I'm still really glad in live in times of modern medical treatments and techniques too.

• Advertisement

No-one in the world could argue that metformin is not an amazing treatment that is very well tolerated though. It's a wonder drug in the true sense of the world, and it's generic.

I'm all for diet and preventing disease but I'm still really glad in live in times of modern medical treatments and techniques too.
    Ah, I only commented cause its different to what he normally comes out with such as 'the paleo diet cures everything' or 'I have ten gazillion emails in my inbox right now about how the paleo diet cured x, y and z'.* As you can tell that sh!te bugs the cr&p outta me:rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for drugs and medical treatments if they are needed. Also one of the largest pharma companys employs me so I am grateful to them in that respect too.;)

*He didn't say those things exactly...

Ah, I only commented cause its different to what he normally comes out with such as 'the paleo diet cures everything' or 'I have ten gazillion emails in my inbox right now about how the paleo diet cured x, y and z'.* As you can tell that sh!te bugs the cr&p outta me:rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for drugs and medical treatments if they are needed. Also one of the largest pharma companys employs me so I am grateful to them in that respect too.;)

*He didn't say those things exactly...

Oh sorry, picked you up wrong there, apologies! Yeah, there seems to be a crackdown on 'paleowoo' of late.:p

Oh sorry, picked you up wrong there, apologies! Yeah, there seems to be a crackdown on 'paleowoo' of late.:p
    That's no bad thing, to be honest. It's my own personnal peeve, I suppose, with the whole paleo diet thing that it is supposed to heal all sorts of issues. Certainly hasn't for me!

On another note did you catch Prime Time last tues? Our GDP has gone down with lipitor going off patent. How's about that? Nuts isn't it?

On another note did you catch Prime Time last tues? Our GDP has gone down with lipitor going off patent. How's about that? Nuts isn't it?

That's crazy! Hence the mad boon in research to find something to replace it. I think diabetes is the biggest growing market at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I came across a "Storm" type beour last night, an actual good proper debate on diet and the like was had, but my world was she close minded.

oh and this is what i mean by a storm type girl!

That's crazy! Hence the mad boon in research to find something to replace it. I think diabetes is the biggest growing market at the moment.
    And supplying the emerging markets with existing drugs also I guess... It's all about the money anyways!

I came across a "Storm" type beour last night, an actual good proper debate on diet and the like was had, but my world was she close minded.
    Nothing like a bit of good healthy debate!

First new weight loss drug in 13 years under FDA review:
    Vivus's Qnexa is a combination of the appetite suppressant phentermine and the antiepileptic topiramate. In clinical trials it induced average placebo-adjusted weight-loss of up to 9·3% of bodyweight, leading to a first filing with the FDA in 2009. At a panel meeting held at the time, experts voted 10—6 against the drug, noting that it increased pulse rate, carried a risk of cleft palette in babies conceived by mothers on the drug, could potentially cause memory problems and depression, and induced a teratogenicity signal in rats, leading the agency to reject the drug. The therapy was refiled last year, however, leading to a second advisory meeting in February, 2012.

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736%2812%2960379-1/fulltext

Jesus, is eating healthy so awful that people would want to put themselves through this??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭rocky

New B&J flavours in Tesco half price - Core Karamel Sutra and Dough-ble Whammy

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

rocky wrote: »

I'll be buying that as my treat after my 'clean' 2 month challenge.

• Advertisement

There's a beef tails bubble brewing, over the last couple of months I had real difficulty getting hold of any, you had to be present there and then or you missed it. (Galway Meat Market). Today, plenty available, with a catch... 50% price increase :)

First new weight loss drug in 13 years under FDA review:

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736%2812%2960379-1/fulltext

Jesus, is eating healthy so awful that people would want to put themselves through this??
    Obviously yes! Nothing like a magic pill to resolve all sorts of things!

There's a beef tails bubble brewing, over the last couple of months I had real difficulty getting hold of any, you had to be present there and then or you missed it. (Galway Meat Market). Today, plenty available, with a catch... 50% price increase :)
    Oxtail? Who would have thought there would be that big a demand on it:confused:

Also where is the Galway Meat Market? My sister lives in Galway and we have gone around the food market off Shop St on a Saturday before...

Near the Fruit and Veg in Terryland

B*stard. :)

Oxtail is everywhere now. I made some 'from scratch' oxtail soup, oh god so good on the day you make it, the meat is just uber tender because of all the fat. The next day it was disgusting and totally inedible.

Do tell, where in Galway, and what price?

Do tell, where in Galway, and what price?

Tesco, about 7 euro a kilo if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭banquet

Does anyone know where I might get cocunut oil around Dublin city centre?

banquet wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I might get cocunut oil around Dublin city centre?

This thread might have somewhere in city centre

• Advertisement

Tesco, about 7 euro a kilo if I remember correctly.

ok, will try that ... assume I have to ask at the meat counter, or do they have it on the shelves? strange I haven't seen it before... then again I try to avoid tesco meat if I can help it.

The Karamel Sutra was good, don't get me wrong, but Phish food is better :).

Are flapjacks normally wheat free? they should contain only oats , right? Cross-contamination not withstanding... I find I'm ok with oats, so they mustn't be too contaminated. I've gotten back into making oat pancakes, murdered about 5 with maple syrup on Monday before training. Speaking of maple syrup, how great is that ?? 25g, about 50 calories worth, on a fruit salad with greek yogurt, makes it amazing. Just me then? ok... :o

Advertisement