Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Royal Rumble Pre Show Thread *30 competitors again!!*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

leggo wrote: »
    You can't book Battle Royals, all you can book are highlights. The mystique with the Rumble comes from:

a) The entrances and anticipation behind them, of which there are now more.
    b) Those individual highlight spots and eliminations, again there's now more of them to work with too.
    c) The finish.

Relax guys, I really think this is a good thing! :)

It is well known that Pat Patterson lays out the Rumble match.

Erm, the a,b,c that you mentioned is booking. Or agenting, or producing, or laying out a match or whatever you call it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Ageyev wrote: »
    Erm, the a,b,c that you mentioned is booking. Or agenting, or producing, or laying out a match or whatever you call it.

thats the point leggo was making - you CAN book a rumble and give it the excitement needed. You cannot book a striahgt up battle royale, except for a spot, or the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Hercule

more surprises, more gimmicks and more rumble?- Am I alone in thinking this is good news?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Two things we will all probably know before it kicks off who will win and Kofi will have crazy elimination saving spot.

Spoilers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

as long as Mysterio isn't number 40....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,756 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Kurt Angle has said that he'll be debuting for his new promotion in January and the Rumble is both in January and in his home state.

Just imagine the ovation. Come on Vince.

Stuff like this should have spoiler tags. If this happens, we are definitely not mates anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

It is far from a spoiler. It is putting two and two and two together.

Friends? :o

It is far from a spoiler. It is putting two and two and two together.

Friends? :o

It is a spoiler, it's putting information that most people wouldn't have known that points heavily towards a particular outcome, hence ruining the surprise if said outcome does occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Rusev enters number 8 or 9, dominates for 15 minutes.

"Who can stop this man??"

Cue Medal on the loudspeakers. Crowd erupts.

Man, goosebumps.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Rusev enters number 8 or 9, dominates for 15 minutes.

"Who can stop this man??"

Cue Medal on the loudspeakers. Crowd erupts.

Man, goosebumps.

Yeah goosebumps, if it hadnt been spoiled as having a reasonably high likelihood.

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »
    It is a spoiler, it's putting information that most people wouldn't have known that points heavily towards a particular outcome, hence ruining the surprise if said outcome does occur.

It is information which has been discussed on this board in the news thread without spoiler tags. It doesn't point heavily in any direction and in fact the general feeling when the news was announced was that the mystery promotion he has signed for is not WWE.

I'm sure that Kurt Angle's next career move will be public knowledge by the time the Royal Rumble comes around and this is just wild speculation at the moment.

I sincerely apologise if I have spoiled anything.

It is information which has been discussed on this board in the news thread without spoiler tags. It doesn't point heavily in any direction and in fact the general feeling when the news was announced was that the mystery promotion he has signed for is not WWE.

I'm sure that Kurt Angle's next career move will be public knowledge by the time the Royal Rumble comes around and this is just wild speculation at the moment.

You mean the news thread with spoilers written in the title that lots of people (myself included) don't read for that very reason.

Not everyone wants to have figured out what's going to happen before it happens.

Loose theories, based on ideas you've come up with from what you've seen in the show, fine. They carry no weight, everyone has different ones anyways.

Theories based on wrestlers schedules, what Meltzer posted he had sources on or similar things, not cool.

To be fair we're still waiting for those appearances from Carlito and Shelton that were definitely happening at the Rumble a couple years ago. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

It's in Philly. You will have lots of hardcore fans there. They'll get pops.

And Reigns won't :P

Exactly.

If this was the week before then I'd see the issue. It isn't. If there was any tangible evidence that Angle, Austin, Steve Blackman or anyone else was returning at the Rumble then I'd see the issue. There isn't isn't so anything at this point is just wild speculation.

I hate spoiling things for people or having things spoiled for me. I just don't see how this can possibly apply though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

CastorTroy wrote: »
    To be fair we're still waiting for those appearances from Carlito and Shelton that were definitely happening at the Rumble a couple years ago. :)

Mike Johnson a few months ago admitted he was worked by source who was ****ing with him. Mike cut off all ties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Exactly.

If this was the week before then I'd see the issue. It isn't. If there was any tangible evidence that Angle, Austin, Steve Blackman or anyone else was returning at the Rumble then I'd see the issue. There isn't isn't so anything at this point is just wild speculation.

I hate spoiling things for people or having things spoiled for me. I just don't see how this can possibly apply though.

You've done nothing wrong. Your first comment about Angle was before the thread was split and posted originally in the news thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

that lots of people (myself included) don't read for that very reason.

Do you normally post in threads you don't read?????? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91058270&postcount=7682

Whosthis wrote: »
    Do you normally post in threads you don't read?????? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91058270&postcount=7682

Eh 4 months ago, I said I don't, not that I never have!!! I actually can't believe you went that far into my posting history for something so inconclusive.

If I went in there (or any spoiler labelled thread) and had something spoiled on me I would only have myself to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Eh 4 months ago, I said I don't, not that I never have!!! I actually can't believe you went that far into my posting history for something so inconclusive.

If I went in there (or any spoiler labelled thread) and had something spoiled on me I would only have myself to blame.
    To be honest we have no idea if Kurt is coming back to the WWE at all, in fact the likelihood of that happening is slim. As for the Kofi thing, well if you are a casual wrestling fan Royal Rumble is one of the events you watch so you'd know all about it.

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »

Not entirely relevant, I'm not suggesting Kurt Angle is a cert but his reasoning is fairly solid and I think there's a decent chance he is right.

In the end now if he's wrong I've gained nothing, whereas if he is right I've had a potentially epic moment spoiled on me through no fault of my own.

The whole beauty of the Rock's return on Raw was that it was so out of the blue, in a world where we usually know who is scheduled to be anywhere.

Some people want to know these things, that's grand, there's theeads for that, and that's absolutely ok, but if this is going to become the norm I should stop posting here

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    To be honest we have no idea if Kurt is coming back to the WWE at all, in fact the likelihood of that happening is slim. As for the Kofi thing, well if you are a casual wrestling fan Royal Rumble is one of the events you watch so you'd know all about it.

Of course I wasn't talking about Kofi haha!!!

mrkiscool2 wrote: »

I was just joking about the Kofi thing being a spoiler. Sure he does it for tv Battle Royals as well.

Exactly.

Because Angle is joining a promotion in this month, how many promotions could realistically apply? Pretty high percentage chance on that logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

rovert wrote: »
    And Reigns won't :P

We can but hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Because Angle is joining a promotion in this month, how many promotions could realistically apply? Pretty high percentage chance on that logic.

I'd say GFW is more likely tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

This whole thread is a spoiler to be honest. This announcement was made on Smackdown. I wanted to see it on that. I'm entitled to that. Shame on you for putting this as a separate thread title on the front page.

Not really, haven't watched Smackdown in 5 years :P

I'd say GFW is more likely tbh.

Maybe, but I'd say WWE is pretty high on the list of most likely

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Ageyev wrote: »
    It is well known that Pat Patterson lays out the Rumble match.

Is it? It's well-known Patterson created the match idea but does he even do much work for WWE these days?

The point was in reply to someone suggesting there be more booking in the match, involving 20 people. And the only way you can do more booking in the Royal Rumble is by doing more entrances with more people. If you try and overbook a Battle Royal it turns into a mess. First mistake every rookie makes when they get a Battle Royal as their first match is to try do all their spots and they either get told sternly beforehand not to or they ruin the match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

The Rumble tends to have only two or three realistic winners so adding another ten no hopers is just a waste of time in my mind. We all know Los Matadores or R-Truth or whatever won't be winning, so why add more of them? The more no hopers involved, the less interesting the match becomes.

Advertisement