Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it TOO LATE to start history???????

• 04-09-2013 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Okay, I've known what I've wanted to do since I can remember. I want to be a teacher. For the past few years I've wanted to teach in primary schools in Ireland. During the summer I discovered the option of studying in Europe for a teaching degree that would allow me to teach in different schools around the world. I know I'm not much of a homebird so this option appeals to me. :P

The only problem is that in order to meet the requirements of admissions, I must do history. I'm already in my first week of 6th year and I worry that it might be too late for me to do it. I do higher level in all of my other subjects and must work hard to maintain good results in them. I would be willing to do history as an eighth subject, but am concerned that I have left it too late. :confused:

In your opinion, can the whole LC history course be covered in one school year (outside of school hours)????

Any response would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Exo

Many students undertake new subjects in 6th year (especially repeat students), and achieve maximum grades. At the end of the day, it all comes down to you - how much are you willing to sacrifice. From what I've heard, there is a project section that accounts for 20% of the overall grade. You can check it out here, on the examinations.ie website. Checking with the History teacher at your school, and explaining your situation would help a lot regarding project work. I wouldn't recommend it since it depends on your situation, but replacing History with an existing subject could ease some of the pressure with undertaking a brand new subject.

I'm sure you've heard of the guy down in Wexford who achieved 9 A1's in his Leaving Cert this year - the interesting part is that he undertook some science subjects if I can recall, only months to the day of the exam(s). Article here. Impressive stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Personally, I'd vote against picking it up. It's not a difficult course by any means, but it has a lot of information. It's around 40 years of history/politics/culture in 4-ish areas/countries. Plus the project which has to be submitted before the actual exam (it takes some people all of 5th Year to decide on a title, unless you have a nice teacher who will give you ideas).

You would be sacrificing a lot of time that could be spent on improving your existing subjects. I'm not saying it's impossible, but only consider it if you feel confident about your other subjects which you plan on counting towards admission/CAO etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Exo

Since it would be the eight subject on the list, a passing grade would be sufficient for the course entry requirement. The project is worth 20%, I wouldn't cause a panic over it personally given your situation. Better late, than never.

Advertisement