Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recession Galway

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Well, I got laid off today.

So, yeah. I guess you could say I've noticed the recession in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭SalthillGuy

It is reported that a single house has not been sold in many of the major Galway towns in a week.
    This is incredible, given the number of estates that have gone up in those towns.
    May are left half finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

I've been looking at gaffs on daft and the rental properties are definitely going way down. That's the recession working for me!

I've done my bit for today, spending €150 with local businesses.

Town seemed very busy - especially the pubs along High Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Reckon it could go the other way too though, a ticket to a Connacht or Galway united match will be more attractive since many can no afford to go to an International or a premiership game. Course, both Connacht and Galway still need to work on their product a good bit.

Galway United have reduced prices for the 2009 season....
    http://www.galwayunitedfc.ie/tickets-travel/building-belief---season-tickets-09.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

This week's Galway Advertiser is the same size as the property pull-out section in any edition the Advertiser in 2006. This is a true indicator of a recession.

How many Estate Agents advertised in the latest Galway Advertiser? You could count them on the fingers of ONE hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Well, it's definetly hitting the city and its in habitants and the effects are increasing more to those outside of construction and its related industries.
    I know a few lads in construction that got laid off but in the past two weeks two people I know have also gotten laid off from one major US multinational.
    It'll be after Christmas before the majority of the pain will hit but it will hit and lots will feel it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Town seemed very busy
    Busy streets, empty shops is what I saw. I tried that counting of the shopping bags trick as well, it looked like one in ten or twelve around 5pm. People are going to try to turtle this one.

This will be a bumper year for the shops.
    Given the issues with the banks, there is a lot of loose cash around. People are hust being more careful on what they will spend it on this year.
    Another problem is that Christmas is starting too soon.
    Turning lights on in October is crazy.

Doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

If the year so far is anything to go by, then retail is going to exceptionally quiet for the Christmas.
    Turning lights on in October is crazy.

The lights were turned on last Friday, November 28th!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

The difference in Galway is unbelievable, anyone who can't see that is blind. On various occasions in the past couple of weeks I have been down Shop Street, Galway Shopping Centre and Salthill and it's absolutely dead. Hopefully people are just wisening up a small bit and biding their time for their Xmas shopping (and hopefully being sensible about it).

I also feel sorry for those who are being hit badly during this time. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭futura123

wait till the new year its gonna be a ghost town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

galah wrote: »
    One thing I noticed is a lot more Irish people working jobs that were previously done by mostly Eastern Europeans - cashiers in Aldi and Lidl and other shops, bar staff, restaurant staff - it's interesting!

When you think about it though, it was only a few years ago that that started changing anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Pubs being hit, hairdressers, beauticians, it's scary.

Hairdressers will suffer.
    This has become a little luxury with some choosing to visit the hairdresses rather than doing it themselves.
    Where the hairdresser has become dependent on the luxury spender will become a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

well in fairness, the hairdressers have been taking the p*ss with their prices the past couple of years...Not saying they deserve to be hit (noone does), but maybe they'll come to their senses and provide proper services at a reasonable price again...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

ErnieBert wrote: »
    Galway United have reduced prices for the 2009 season....
    http://www.galwayunitedfc.ie/tickets-travel/building-belief---season-tickets-09.html

That might be partly due to Mervue being admitted to the league for next season. There's only a certain percentage of people in galway who'll pay to see LOI football, so the relative cost between tickets for both could well become an issue.

Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without. -- National Recovery Administration, 1932.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

micmclo wrote: »
    Cinemas do extremely well in tough times.

Expect them to get busier for sure

Hmm... Hollywood boomed in the 1930s, true. Not sure about the1970s, Certaily attenendces went down in the 1980s thanks to vcrs. Now there's cheap dvds and illegal downloading as an alternative. I like going to the cinema, but the prices of tickets, not to mention pop-corn make it a bit of a rip off.

• Advertisement

Supposedly, day time drinking also goes up, as people have no work to go to.
    I imagine the bookies also are a good bet for more business......

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭amz5

Has anybody managed to get their rent put down in these recession time? I have noted that the rent in the estate I live has gone down...but the landlord isn't budging. Don't feel like moving, but I don't want to pay above the odds. And our landlord has even suggested that he wants to put up the rent to cover his own costs. So he's obviously feeling the recession...

Commercial rents have been deferred in many cases. therwisee people will go out of business. No reason why domestic rents should not be reductd.
    Putting rents up is not acceptable.
    I would move, as it is easy get good value accommodation in the current climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

amz5 wrote: »
    Has anybody managed to get their rent put down in these recession time? I have noted that the rent in the estate I live has gone down...but the landlord isn't budging. Don't feel like moving, but I don't want to pay above the odds. And our landlord has even suggested that he wants to put up the rent to cover his own costs. So he's obviously feeling the recession...

Move out, even if it's only nextdoor

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

Commercial rents have been deferred in many cases. therwisee people will go out of business. No reason why domestic rents should not be reductd.
    Putting rents up is not acceptable.
    I would move, as it is easy get good value accommodation in the current climate.

Indeed, may land lords seem to think that if their costs go up their profits (such as they are) shouldn't go down. Check daft, point him to the going rate.

And our landlord has even suggested that he wants to put up the rent to cover his own costs.
    Does he think hes running a pub? Move out, there is a vast surplus of rental properties on the market at the moment as people who can't sell their houses start to try to cover the mortgage in other ways. Rental tracks supply and demand much more closely than property prices, so rents are going south in a hurry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

not saying hes right to increase your rent but the new year is bringing alot of stealth taxes, this new BER scheme which was so unsuccessful in the UK is being brought in here and means all rental properties have to have an energy rating, all have one but landlords have to pay for the privilige of knowing the rating. and thats only one i can think of cos its too late in the night for thinking but there are more.

all have one but landlords have to pay for the privilige of knowing the rating.
    Only the registered ones!
    and thats only one i can think of cos its too late in the night for thinking but there are more.
    It doesn't work like that. Rents are what the market will pay for them, no more and no less, regardless of the expenses incurred. If its too costly to run the place, he can always sell it! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How many euro-per-month do you not feel like moving by? If your desire to spend less exceeds your desire not to move, then move you will.

Personally, I'd be inclined to move just to spite him with an attitude like that: In the current market, existing tenants paying pre-recession rentals should be treated well not annoyed.

But it all depends on what you value most.

• Advertisement

I would not agree to any increase.
    Unless the location is exceptional, he will end up releasing at lower than he already gets.
    Tell him you have found another place and you plan to leave. You will call hil bluff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement