Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call Cards

• 01-11-2003 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭

i have at home somewhere a collection of call cards and phone cards,

have about a 100 different irish and 100 various ones from around the world ,

anyone else for a collection?

i used to ransack the local callcard box to swipe the used cards people had disposed of!!:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Kalina

I've got about 500 from the 90's, used to search the phoneboxes when I was a kid aswell. I have about 50 Niamh from Tir na nOg cards and another 50 of Aoife and the Cildren of Lir. They were common as muck.
    I have a few decent rare ones, some 5 unit cards and some good movie cards. I must take them out again and have a look through them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I used to collect them seriously as a teenager. I should still have a lot in their original wrapper even. I remember swiping them out of phone boxes as well, anything to get that rare 100 unit card you couldn't afford

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I was a serious collector aswell.
    I have about 250 mint, unopened, ranging from 5 unit to 100unit.
    I also have the 'globe' collectors card, it was a round thing with 30 different cards from the world, only 3,000 issued in the world as a pack, it cost me 30 punt and saw it being sold for over 1,500euro about a year ago.

I would really like to sell mine, but they're worth thousands and I don't think people would be intrested in buying them unless they're a serious dealer.
    I had spent hundreds of quid of buying them brand new, used to be in the eircom collectors club..

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

If anyone needs any Greek cards send me a PM, I may be able to find some lying around. Don't know if there are any Olympics ones yet.

I'm not sending unused ones though, no dosh!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eye

My mum has got a good sized collection of callcards, no idea of their value but i would say easily a couple of grands worth.

she's been a member of the eircom callcard collectors club for years, since the mid 90's i'd say, so with that we get all the newly issue cards sent out by registered mail every now and then. we have all the irish cards (mint) that were printed bar 1 or 2 since the very old GAA set (also pretty hard to come by) must go through them sometime and see whats there.

we got the world collector pack in that circular pack, did'nt know it was worth that much, also got the limited edition pack from the world cup with all the players and a big folder out card to place them all in.

one other thing to mention, i know they are not easy to some by, but we also have a couple of the original test callcards, got them from a collectors fair years ago in dublin, i know we payed a nice bit for them then, i would imagine those ones might be worth a bit now alright as they are hard to find in mint condition.

one last question, just wondering, if anyone here has ever come across or heard about a limited edition coca cola space can, again from the early-mid 90's, think it was an american callcard, saw that seeling at a fair for about £400 back then and it's like a $5 card or something rediculous like that ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

I am beginning my collection at the moment. :)
    If anyone of u wants to sell any of urs just let me know plz! ;) cant afford much but can afford some.

For instance, how many would somone sell for say, €40?
    Am wondering how much I can expect to spend per card (used OR unused, but prolly can only afford used).

B

Originally posted by Lenny
    I was a serious collector aswell.
    I have about 250 mint, unopened, ranging from 5 unit to 100unit.
    I also have the 'globe' collectors card, it was a round thing with 30 different cards from the world, only 3,000 issued in the world as a pack, it cost me 30 punt and saw it being sold for over 1,500euro about a year ago.

Nice one!! hang onto it for another few years and you'll make a packet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

i have about 200 irish and 200 foreign cards i wud love to sell.
    if anyone is interested...

I might be....how much?

B

Also interested, what price?

• Advertisement

well name ur price
    there is around 200 foreign and 200 irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Got bundles of them lying about at home, the brother used to collect 'em.

<< Fio >>

i will sell all of mine for 170 euro including delivery.
    for 400 cards i dont think that is bad at all.

Money is tight right now, near xmas an all, but if ur interested I could buy them from U at €50 worth per month? :)

Alternatively, if your interested, I could swap you them for a Lexmark 2030 Color Printer?

B

em no thanks :)
    but when ever the financial situation gets good gimme a shout...

Willdo! :)

B

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Tiesto, are they all used yes?

Used cards are worth nothing in a way.
    Only unless you have the test cards that are used, any other rare ones are worth prob less than half of what they're worth mint.
    Darntreader, you're very late at starting! all the rare and good cards have been sold and dealth with now, no more 'limited edition' cards are being made anymore, its only famours ones from big companys ie. kitkat, nescafe. companys that are willing to pay towards the costs of getting the cards manufactured now with eircom, callcards are going out, the 2 callcard phone boxes were removed from my area a few year ago, everyone has mobiles now so they're outdated...
    Though when buying cards, watch yea don't get skanked, I'll have a look to see if I have any of my collector items books, it has all the cards printed and there price range new, it could be useful to you?
    I couldn't give them to you, they would be part of my collection, but I'm sure I could scan them and put there somewere for you if you want, I'd have to have a good route around for them now!

yeah lenny .
    Yea most of them are used
    170 euro for 400 cards.
    that is very good value.

Thnx lenny thatd be gr8 ;0)

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 coolrunnings

does anyone know where to sell an irish collection of cards? many mint and rare

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Anyone know how much a "Dash" card is worth. They were a trial card issued by Eircom, Dublin Bus and Irish carparks all on the same card.

anyone?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mack_the_wack2

Cool runnings what cards you got to sell, i used to collect and thinking about starting again

i have a fairly good collection, the main thing that comes to mind is the GLOBAL CHIPCARD ALLIANCE collection, still in wrapper. ill go through them during the week and post up again. im selling coz i need to free up some cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Tony Lynch

I am wondering if there is anywhere to sell or find out how much my rare call cards are worth, Are they useless???
    Most are eircom,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭cantona

Antique fair that is run every couple of weeks at the Tara Towers hotel and at Clontarf Castle has at least 1 collector who buys and sells cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

mad i had forgotten all about call cards my cuz used to collect them but ive some in a box at home. if any of you are startign to collect go to geaorges st arcade theres a guy there that sells them!
    mine are all used and yes I usesd to steal em from pay fones too! ;-)
    Does any one know wat these are worth?#
    niamh of tir na nog
    rose of tralee
    2 guiness ones (figure these have gotta be good?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Does any one know wat these are worth?#
    niamh of tir na nog
    rose of tralee
    2 guiness ones (figure these have gotta be good?)

They are quite common and if not mint would be worth nothing. I have a good collection of mint and limited edition callcards.

Off the top of my head there's quite a few mint 5 units, limited edition world cup('92), concord maiden voyage limited edition and a few Telecom Eireann callcard fair limited editions.

Have many more, would love to get them valued some day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Can anyone tell me, when did we stop using callcard phones here? Only noticed in recently as hardly ever use public phones. Use to collect them years ago in a big way have some of the various cards that were used before they settled on the chip design.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

I have a collection of callcards too that I used to collect.

Anywhere to value them, or sell them? Thanks

Advertisement