Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Greencard info...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Something I found below, see if it is any use to you. When she departs for the US, she will hand in the documents to border protection there and they will do the fingerprints and let her know the story. The green card shouldn't take too long to get to her, mine was a little over 2 months but you can go ahead and get your Social Security Number and other things to use before that.
    It is a common misconception that to keep your green card all you need to do is enter the United States at least once a year. The fact is that if you ever leave with the intention of making some other country your permanent home, you give up your U.S. residency when you go. The border officials will look at your behavior for signals that your real place of residence is not the United States.

As a general rule, if you have a green card and leave the United States for more than one year, you may difficulty reentering the country. That is because the U.S. government feels that an absence of longer than one year indicates a possible abandonment of U.S. residence. Even if you do return before one year is up, you may run into trouble. To avoid a full-scale inspection, you should return within six months.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭quinta

Thanks Ruu.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

My flatmate has a green card and has lived in the US since she was 4. She studies in Edinburgh, and when she returned to the US for Christmas, they warned her that her green card was in jeopardy because she wasn't spending enough time in the US. Just a heads up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dewybluebell

The chemist across the road from the embassy ... what's it called anyone?

Plus does anyone know if the $100 dollars that you pay before your interview is per applicant in a family or just for the whole family?

Dewy:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

if its any use to you these guys http://www.cameracentre.ie/ also do the right passport photos for the us goverment,just had some done by them lately
    $15 for 2 photos though :eek:

• Advertisement

The chemist across the road from the embassy ... what's it called anyone?

Plus does anyone know if the $100 dollars that you pay before your interview is per applicant in a family or just for the whole family?

Dewy:confused:

I think it is for the whole family. I can't remember the name of the chemist but they do a proper job.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭*WKD*

sturgo wrote:
    Hi. I know this is a shot in the dark but, does anybody know of an easier way of obtaining a work permit, besides applying through visa the diversity program? How about the posibility of studying in the US?
    If you do go the college route - after you graduate you will have one year OPT Optional Practical Training. Getting into your field of work. From there you can have your employer get you H1B status i.e. a work visa which is valid for three years. You can then renew it for another three years if you are still with that employer. downside to this is you cant really change jobs etc. hths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Micky01

*WKD* wrote:
    If you do go the college route - after you graduate you will have one year OPT Optional Practical Training. Getting into your field of work. From there you can have your employer get you H1B status i.e. a work visa which is valid for three years. You can then renew it for another three years if you are still with that employer. downside to this is you cant really change jobs etc. hths

Sorry to jump in on this, but does anyone know, is it possible to pre-arrange employment and H1B status? As in, is it possible, having found an employer that will "sponser.." you for employment / H1B..., to then travel to the US and stay and work there for the three years...? All being arranged before you arrive?

Also, if so, with the above lined up where would I go from here in this situation in regards to applications etc. i believe employment visa's are applied for through the employer?

P.s, if in the meantime I obtained a work visa, would this effect my DV-2008 application?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Kattyboy25

P.s, if in the meantime I obtained a work visa, would this effect my DV-2008 application?
    Answer is NO.

Yes it is possible to arrange employment via h1-b visa (which is only possible if you have a sponsoring company that wants to employ you). All employment visas are applied for through the employer.

Start looking for a h1-b sponsoring job NOW, only one week left until they become available for this year and they won't last long, last year they went in 2 months, and this year everyone thinks they will be going by late April / early May. Any if you miss out this year you'll have to wait until April 2008.

Kattyboy25 wrote:
    Answer is NO.

Yes it is possible to arrange employment via h1-b visa (which is only possible if you have a sponsoring company that wants to employ you). All employment visas are applied for through the employer.

Start looking for a h1-b sponsoring job NOW, only one week left until they become available for this year and they won't last long, last year they went in 2 months, and this year everyone thinks they will be going by late April / early May. Any if you miss out this year you'll have to wait until April 2008.

Thanks a million for that info. I didn't realize they'd be out so soon.

I just have one more question. Are there any differences between this and the "EB2, EB3.." visas? Or does this category also only grant a limited number of visas?

Thanks again.

• Advertisement

EB2, EB3 are not visa's they are versions of the greencard which you are catergorised when you are going through the employment based greencard sponsorship process. EB1 is for like distingushed professors, EB2 is some with an advanced degree (phd, masters, or Bacholers with 5 year exp.), and EB3 is for people with just bacholer degrees. EB2 is the best, processing time to obtain greencard in this catergory is quickest.
    Yeah get H1-B, apply for jobs in the States now, most company's that do H1-b's don't advertise, just apply to big US company's and sell yourself, make your CV stand out and if ever on a phone call to a US company speak slowly and clearly, most US people can't understand the Irish accent, we speak tooooo fast.
    Now if you can't get a H1-B, go down the J1 one/two year training visa, start looking for a company now the will sponsor you this, before British and Irish students finish college in May/June and start looking and availing of this.
    Now you are in the States for a year or two you'll find it much easier to get a h1-b sponsored job for the next year. It's easier to get a job in the States when you are there, and maybe if you are in a good company under your J1 visa they might sponsor you a H1-B.

Remember that you can also do study over there. What's your education/skills in?

Kattyboy25 wrote:
    EB2, EB3 are not visa's they are versions of the greencard which you are catergorised when you are going through the employment based greencard sponsorship process. EB1 is for like distingushed professors, EB2 is some with an advanced degree (phd, masters, or Bacholers with 5 year exp.), and EB3 is for people with just bacholer degrees. EB2 is the best, processing time to obtain greencard in this catergory is quickest.
    Yeah get H1-B, apply for jobs in the States now, most company's that do H1-b's don't advertise, just apply to big US company's and sell yourself, make your CV stand out and if ever on a phone call to a US company speak slowly and clearly, most US people can't understand the Irish accent, we speak tooooo fast.
    Now if you can't get a H1-B, go down the J1 one/two year training visa, start looking for a company now the will sponsor you this, before British and Irish students finish college in May/June and start looking and availing of this.
    Now you are in the States for a year or two you'll find it much easier to get a h1-b sponsored job for the next year. It's easier to get a job in the States when you are there, and maybe if you are in a good company under your J1 visa they might sponsor you a H1-B.

Remember that you can also do study over there. What's your education/skills in?

I have a BSc in Computer science. My girlfriend is from the US which is also a big reason for my wanting to move as soon as possible. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to go about it.
    I have contacts.. in the US ( one being a company owner..) so getting sponsored shouldn't be too much of a problem. He's in Ireland next week and I'm meeting with him, so I just want to be ready with all my facts etc.

From what you've said above, the EB3 visa seems quite interesting and also the fact that it's a greencard and more permanent. In your opinion, given my situation, do you think the EB3 would be the best route to take?

Thanks again for answering my questions :)

Hmmmmm, guess what in my opinion the EB3 is nice but get the h1-b sponsorship now, it'll mean you'll be able to start work and live in the US sooner, like this summer once your h1-b gets approved (actually h1-b will be issued in October but you'll be allowed to work in the US even before then). Eb3 could take a year and you won't be able to live or work in the US until then. You can live and work for 3 years on the h1-b and anytime during that stage you can "upgrade" (change your status) to greencard, this this change of status process will take about 4 months.

So talk to your contact asap and get an attorney (beware they are expensive) and get those forms ready to submit for h1-b on the 1st April. You'll need to do afew things and get afew forms (like getting a form that says you degree is equivalent to a US degree and so on, get references, blah blah blah).

So in a nutshell get H1-B with your contact, and later apply for greencard through change of status process. So go on get your ass in motion and chat with your contact now 1st April is coming up very soon and believe millions of people will be applying for the h1-b and there are only 45,000 or so available.

Kattyboy25 wrote:
    Hmmmmm, guess what in my opinion the EB3 is nice but get the h1-b sponsorship now, it'll mean you'll be able to start work and live in the US sooner, like this summer once your h1-b gets approved (actually h1-b will be issued in October but you'll be allowed to work in the US even before then). Eb3 could take a year and you won't be able to live or work in the US until then. You can live and work for 3 years on the h1-b and anytime during that stage you can "upgrade" (change your status) to greencard, this this change of status process will take about 4 months.

So talk to your contact asap and get an attorney (beware they are expensive) and get those forms ready to submit for h1-b on the 1st April. You'll need to do afew things and get afew forms (like getting a form that says you degree is equivalent to a US degree and so on, get references, blah blah blah).

So in a nutshell get H1-B with your contact, and later apply for greencard through change of status process. So go on get your ass in motion and chat with your contact now 1st April is coming up very soon and believe millions of people will be applying for the h1-b and there are only 45,000 or so available.

Thats great, thanks for all the help. :)
    Off to start getting my doc's in order now!!

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 divagirl_2000

My cousin applied for dat green card came back from america and all let on she was here all along and it was a whole scam she is now banned outta america for ten yrs as dey were able to tell her bout her wrherabouts for teh last five yrs wat she was doin etc !!! so if you ask me dat greencard is a pile of crap !!

My cousin applied for dat green card came back from america and all let on she was here all along and it was a whole scam she is now banned outta america for ten yrs as dey were able to tell her bout her wrherabouts for teh last five yrs wat she was doin etc !!! so if you ask me dat greencard is a pile of crap !!

so she was in america and overstayed a visa?then thought she could sneak back into ireland and apply for the green card and go back to america legally?

you cant blame the green card for that.

as the old saying goes if ya cant do the time dont do the crime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 divagirl_2000

SoBe wrote:
    so she was in america and overstayed a visa?then thought she could sneak back into ireland and apply for the green card and go back to america legally?

you cant blame the green card for that.

as the old saying goes if ya cant do the time dont do the crime

yeah she was lol ah well im not to worried bout her its her own fault for cumin home take her oil !!!!!

Hi,

I have a question about this:
    "were able to tell her bout her whereabouts for the last five yrs what she was doing"
    in what kind of detail did they know? Like did they know what job she was working in or just that she was just in the US for most of the time? Did they know is she was in California or Nevada for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭*WKD*

Micky you could also propose to your girlfriend and get fiance status and then she can claim you!! just a thought!! It may be easier!
    Good Luck

Fees for greencards and fiance visas could be changing this year, a hell of an increase too so lookout for that. :(

• Advertisement

Hi guys,

I have a question for anyone who obtained a greencard via company sponsorship. I sent off my DS-230 form about four weeks ago, and I haven't heard back from it, nor received anything in the post. Does anyone know what the time line is before I get something in the post?

Thanks.

Hey guys,

Okay so now I have been informed that the NVC has forwarded my application to the US embassy here in Dublin. How long should i expect to hear from the embassy?

Thx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

On a relating note, the Green Card 'lottery' is coming again:

http://www.dvlottery.state.gov/

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

would anyone have a good resource for info related to US fiance visas, i am looking for info mainly about what supporting documentation we will need to submit. I have just returned home after spending 18 months there on a J1 and found a fantastic girl. I would really appreciate the help from your experience in applying for this visa! thanks guys! :D

murfie wrote: »
    would anyone have a good resource for info related to US fiance visas, i am looking for info mainly about what supporting documentation we will need to submit. I have just returned home after spending 18 months there on a J1 and found a fantastic girl. I would really appreciate the help from your experience in applying for this visa! thanks guys! :D

hi murfie
    i dont have any good sites for you but having gone through the fiance visa process over the last few months i am willing to answer any questions you might have,and help you any way possible.

supporting documents would be anything like plane tickets to and from the states,photographs of you and your fiance together,letters,cards or any correspondance between both of you.

now at the start of the process it seems very daunting and difficult to get through to anyone in the embassy in dublin,but later in the process you will be able to ring straight through to whoever is processing your case (the woman that processed mine was very helpfull).

one thing i would advise is to have your paperwork checked and rechecked and rechecked again.it seems to be the main thing they are interested in.

any more questions please dont be afraid to ask.i wish you all the best with your application.

EDIT: and as ruu said earlier the fees have gone sky high,my 485 application here cost nearly $1100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 gary01

murfie wrote: »

I think this link was posted here a while back. Hope it's of some help!
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Colmfatcamp

Great thread guys, really informative. I’m extremely interested in getting to work in the states for 2009 and am struggling to find answers to my questions, this is helping a lot though!

Maybe somebody can help me with a few of my queries: I like the sound of this EB3 form, they don’t have a cap on the amount of these they can give out a year, do they? I’m in no particular rush to make it there yet so it appears this may be the best way forward.

Also, it is possible that I could get hooked up by my uncle with some sort of employment sponsorship – the problem is that he lives in Kansas City and I don’t really want to reside there for my days. What are the restrictions with regards seeking other jobs once you attain sponsorship and a green card with your initial employer? Once I have my green card and am in, can I work and search for a new job?

I see people mentioning they have been in the states for 18 months with a J1 visa, do you have to be a student to do that? I did a J1 a few years back but only stayed for 90 days, what are the qualifications for this extended visa and where can I get one?

Thanks guys, hope someone can help.

CC

Anyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

Colm, I did a J1 for the 18 months in the US. was great experience and i recommend it 100%. I went through a company in San Diego, www.usinternship.com who work with you to find a job, they will redo your resume and for a small fee at the beginning will get you the interviews. This site also is the foundation that will work on your visa lots on info on the site. http://www.cenet.us

Now be warned when you do accept a position it is expensive and also takes a good few months for the visa to be processed. But it was well worth it for me and i am now hoping to go back in the summer to live and work permanently.

Best of luck with it!

• Advertisement

Thanks Murfie, I did some follow up research on that as it sounded like a possible idea, but I think it may not work out as it appears to be difficult to prove you're going as a trainee especially when I've been working here for a few years, I dont really want to take too big a step back. That's the kind of thinking I'm looking for though!

Anyone have any idea on what the restrictions are with regards getting a job in one place for a short time and then moving on to get a job somewhere else? I probably have work ready in Kansas City but it would only be a way of getting me in, does anyone know how that works?

CC

Advertisement