Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Three.ie contract how to end when leaving the country

Options
  • 28-07-2014 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi guys,
    I m not sure if i'm right here in this forum
    I started a job 5 months ago and when starting i also got under a 2 years contract with Three.ie. I paid 250 euros to get the IPHONE 5S.I wasa contractor and could deduct my bills.
    I lost my job a months ago and i m not okay for benefits in ireland. So i left ireland and i was getting hungry and couldn t pay for my flat. now i m living in the Netherlands with my parents.
    I have turned off my phone and i would like to send it back both the phone and make sure the contract is ended. When i call three.ie they say i have to keep on paying.
    I can t as i don t have the money. I would like to fly over to dublin and return the iphone which was used used a few times.
    Any tips here what to do ?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Moved to Mobiles

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

FuzzyCraic wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I m not sure if i'm right here in this forum
    I started a job 5 months ago and when starting i also got under a 2 years contract with Three.ie. I paid 250 euros to get the IPHONE 5S.I wasa contractor and could deduct my bills.
    I lost my job a months ago and i m not okay for benefits in ireland. So i left ireland and i was getting hungry and couldn t pay for my flat. now i m living in the Netherlands with my parents.
    I have turned off my phone and i would like to send it back both the phone and make sure the contract is ended. When i call three.ie they say i have to keep on paying.
    I can t as i don t have the money. I would like to fly over to dublin and return the iphone which was used used a few times.
    Any tips here what to do ?

There's no point in returning the phone, they won't accept it.

Your only choice really is to contact Three customer care and arrange to pay off the remainder of the contract.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Should be moved to :Three?

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭boardzz

They require you to pay (remaining months X monthly cost). Just don't pay them and forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I don't think they will take the phone back as they don't have to and it doesn't make sense to them (what are they going to do with it?)

The contract you signed commits you to paying the subscription for the reminder of the 24 months and if they want to force you to do this I think they can.

What I would try though is to post something on the Three forum here to explain your situation and ask nicely of they can end the contract and/or unlock the phone. Their customer service representatives will get back to you and as it is a public forum they will have more of an incentive to show some good will than when you talk to them over the phone and noone else can see their answer.
    If they say no try to insist a few times.

Other than that I don't think there is very much you can do aside from stopping to pay as mentioned above. I am not sure what the consequence would be though and I personally would be very reluctant to do this (they probably won't come and get you in the Netherlands but you will likely end up on some type of bad payer's database which might be shared with other entities).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

You could try and unlock the phone, sell it and give the money to Three to help cover the money you owe. Make sure you do this before the iPhone 6 is announced next month as a lot more people will be selling their phones looking to upgrade and the price you get for it will drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Dudda wrote: »
    You could try and unlock the phone, sell it and give the money to Three to help cover the money you owe. Make sure you do this before the iPhone 6 is announced next month as a lot more people will be selling their phones looking to upgrade and the price you get for it will drop.

I'm not sure that unlocking the phone in contract is an option, afaik Apple will only deal with the operators in obtaining an unlock code? Could be wrong about that part, but Three definitely won't release you from contract, I'm certain of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 FuzzyCraic

Hey guys,
    to begin with thanks very much for all the replys.
    That is really great info. Sorry for the late answer but i had some personal issues going on and couldn't find the time to reply earlier. Anyway i have posted a threat on the forum.
    Still waiting for more info.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭jessie_pinkman

what if you just stopped paying and left the country (for a long period), they wouldn't be able to catch you

Advertisement