Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spain or Denmark?

• 14-10-2014 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi all,
    I'm a college student trying to plan my Erasmus study placement. At the moment I'm trying to decide between teaching English in Seville, Spain or studying in the Aarhus University in Aarhus, Denmark. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice about either city or country? And also if anyone who has lived/is living in either place can tell me anything about the cost of living as I'm getting contradicting information on-line.

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Young Blood

Hi

I lived in Barcelona for a couple of months last year. It's an interesting place. There are some job opportunities for English speakers outside of teaching such as sales or working for a multinational.

I didn't find a permanent job contract while I was there. You will pick up lots of temporary work contracts.

The price of living there is a little less then what it is here with the exception of accommodation, which is about half what you'd be expected to pay in Dublin.

If I was going to do it again I would secure a contract first and then move to wherever the job is. I had loads of offers outside of Barcelona but didn't take them because I had moved into an apartment.

As for Denmark, I have only been there on vacation. It's a very modern place and the people speak English and are very friendly. The women there are smoking hot and everyone cycles around on bikes. I have never experienced a place like it. The economy is obviously much better there and if I was to chose between Denmark and Spain, it would probably be Denmark.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Several years ago I spend a winter working in Copenhagen and I enjoyed it very much, mainly because of the people. One thing you really need to consider there is the short days during the winter, by mid December there are really only about 7 or 8 hours of real daylight...

Here is the UBS Prices and Earning report, it is good guide to the cost of living around the world.

Best of Luck, whatever you decide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

To be honest, I'd choose Spain. You can live there on very little money, whereas Scandinavian countries are pricey. If you like to go out, eat and drink, it would be a lot cheaper and the food would be really nice. Also you can put English teaching on your CV.

Advertisement