Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's the point of getting LC rechecked if they don't tell you your Project Score?

• 02-09-2013 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭

I know my subject might be a bit long, but it says it all.

What's the point of getting LC rechecked if they don't tell you your Project Score?

All this talk about being transparent, where you can see your scripts and recheck your results if you wish, but they don't tell you the results of your project. Since I'm one percentage point away on the written from an A1 and I know I did a brilliant Project, is there any point in contesting this? They really should tell you what mark you got on your project and tell you your overall grade, very frustrating!! If I pay the €40 to get it rechecked, will they then reveal my secret project grade?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Exo

At the end of the day .. do you really want to know, or will it make any significant difference? And I'm not sure if they'll reveal the project, is it worth the €40 to try?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

Yea, but my point is. WHY DON'T THEY TELL U YOUR PROJECT SCORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All the BS about transparency, honesty and giving you the right grade, but your Project score is a secret!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because that's the SEC for you! I did really well in my project, and poorly in the written - judging by my result & knowing how I answered the written exam on the day (DCG in my case). I'll be using it as a reference for this repeat year, definitely. We should have covered five years of coursework in two, but it all went downhill when the projects came around - September to January of solely project work, it could only go downhill. "Some things are better left unsaid", in this case, unseen.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Bozacke

Actually when you check your scripts, you can see what grade you got on the DCG project, but this is not the case for most projects such as History and Construction, which as the OP said are a secret. So why are projects score a secret for most and not for DCG?

Luckily I kept all my SolidWorks, Photoshop & resource files. There was a huge fiasco around DCG this year, where some project discs were damaged and had to be burned onto discs once more - as requested by the SEC. Unfortunately my final project wasn't on the school folder they later copied over. It'd be interesting to see what happened there, final reference page was non-existent on the disc, but was printed on the physical printout. I have no wish to go back to my previous school, I'll let it stay in the past.

Could be something to do with the fact that you retain a copy of your project (unless you delete it). It's just a hypothesis, the SEC are one odd bunch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Well, they're not a secret per se; if you know what you got overall, and you know what you got on your written paper, it's just maths to figure out what you got on your project (or the oral indeed).

It would be handy if there was some kind of printout all right I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Well, they're not a secret per se; if you know what you got overall, and you know what you got on your written paper, it's just maths to figure out what you got on your project (or the oral indeed).

exactly what randy said , i honestly don't understand why everyone gets so annoyed about not including the project score, you are a leaving cert student , you can surely figure out by seeing your written result and it was one mark away that the project brought you down then! if you got an A in the project it would have brought you up to an A overall. :confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

You get your history project back when you view your script, that one isn't a secret.

aimzLc2 wrote: »
    exactly what randy said , i honestly don't understand why everyone gets so annoyed about not including the project score, you are a leaving cert student , you can surely figure out by seeing your written result and it was one mark away that the project brought you down then! if you got an A in the project it would have brought you up to an A overall. :confused:
    But it's not always one mark away :confused: You could be 1 mark off the A1 or 10 marks off it depending how your oral/project went, you'll never know. You wouldn't bother with a recheck in, say, English, if you were miles off, no point throwing €40 at a subject when you don't even know how close you are, or if it's been marked too hard or not. It wouldn't kill them to just write the score somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

Maybe for some subjects, but not for Construction the written is 50%, the Project is 25% and the Practical is 25%. So if you know you got 80% on the written and a B1 overall (they don't tell you your exact overall score), then you know you got overall anywhere from 80 to 85%, so your combined Project & Practical was anywhere from a 90% to an 80%. So on either the Project or Practical you could have scored anywhere from 60% to 100%. Not very straight forward and tells the student 0%. Isn't it great to give the students feedback???

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I take your point, Seamus. Construction is not a subject I'm even vaguely familiar with.

• Advertisement
Advertisement