Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home teaching L.C. Classics. Any help?

• 05-09-2013 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

(I'm not too sure where to post this, so maybe Mods can choose? Thanks!)
    Hi!
    My husband and I are going to teach our daughter the L.C. Classical Studies course, as she is really interested in the subject and we both studied it to Degree level in College.

We know it is a very long and challenging course, but her forte are in History and English, she is a very fast and solid reader, and a good writer, so it should be ok with our guidance.
    We are in Galway, where no school proposes classes, nor are they any grinds.

We are both very busy with work, so will tutor her on Sundays for two hours, and she will work at it herself the rest of the week. She is just starting Transition Year, so we have three years to get the course done.

She will not be taking a Science in school (absolutely no interest and no gift for it!), so she might be allowed to study Classics in the study Hall at those times in 5th Yr and L.C.

There is an awful lot of information online (especially through CAIT), which we will use, but we would be delighted if somebody with teaching experience (or who studied it for the L.C. and loved it) of the Course can help us, sharing their notes, hints, anything really, as it will take so long for us to develop our notes, etc.

We are doing:
    1. Athens at War (Thucydides)
    2. Greek Drama
    3. Ancient Epic (she has already read the Penguin Edition of the Odyssey)
    4. Greek Philosophy

Thanks in advance, I know that the classicists would be delighted to share their knowledge, to help keep the subject alive at Second Level, out in the Wild West!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭yoho139

DISCLAIMER: I have no experience in teaching, nor in Classics - I don't even know what the subject entails.

That said, try checking examinations.ie. Under the Examination Materials section you'll find past exam papers, marking schemes, the syllabus and the Chief Examiners Reports. The first three for obvious reasons, the last because the report details strong and weak points, how the examinees should have tackled the questions and what they did well and so on.

Good luck, and maybe try asking over in the Teaching & Lecturing section - you might find someone with experience there.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

Hi there,

I did classics for my repeat LC and loved it! I needed it for points and ended up with an A1. Great subject, especially if you like english and history. I also gave a neighbour grinds in it the following year.

I'd be happy to discuss my experiences with you. However, it's over 10 years ago now since I did it and I don't know if the syllabus has changed. PM me if you would like to discuss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Galwaymother

Thanks yoho139, I did get all the documentation, and also put my query on the other forum at the same time! Great minds think alike...
    Thanks Whistlejacket for the offer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭shootie

I just did the subject during LC, but only Greek Drama/Ancient Epic out of the topics listed. My class did Alexander the Great and Roman art and architecture.

For Epics and Drama it's essentially English. Study characters, themes etc. In the Aeneid piety is a major theme, and there is usually a comparison question between the Aeneid/Odyssey (like compare Aeneas/Odysseus' respective journeys to the underworld).

If you want to know anything specific on the Epics/Drama feel free to ask.

Advertisement