Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold weather tips: Stopping your pipes from freezing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Buy an infrared bulb and holder for attic-they actualy do give off heat.
    Or(if you can manage to source one)buy a frost watch. You just plug it in and when temp gets below a certain degree it kicks in and blows out 500w of warm air.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭CamillaRhodes

Why was this thread announced to the whole of boards.ie? I kinda assume when there's an announcement that it'll be more like a 'pronouncement' thread of some sort, not just a typical boards-ish rambling argument thread... No offence to y'all, it's a good discussion to be having and you're welcome to it, but did it really need to be announced to everyone? Perhaps if a definitive answer as to the lightbulb/running tap dilemma were found, that could be shared? (though, still....?!?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

In relation to running the tap overnight id be careful about doing that, someone I know did that and woke up the next morning to find the kitchen flooded because the water in the sink froze around the plug hole and blocked it. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

You're meant to leave it "drip".

For God's sake people, if you're gonna do it (and you're strongly advised not to do it) DON'T LEAVE THE TAP FLOWING...ESPECIALLY IF IT'S OUTSIDE! Just had a look out and I heard water flowing. I through perhaps some misfortune of my neighbour had a pipe burst but I had a look for it and they'd left their outdoor tap flowing overnight. The yard is covered in water, and their lawn is quickly flooding, if it keeps going, it'll be all over the place.

I actually felt a little sad someone was that stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

Gordon wrote: »
    Someone create a thread about cold(snap) tips and I'll announce it.

Actually, forget that, I'll move this thread there. If the mods don't want it here, feel free to move to where you think it's better placed.

The best tip I know for feeling warm when you have to venture out in the cold is: keep your neck warm. Wear a scarf, wear a gaiter, anything that completely surrounds your neck and throat.

Over here in the Bronx, I go for a run each morning and the real-feel temperature has been in single digits Fahrenheit -- that's about -12 degrees Celsius. I wear two layers around my neck: a cotton turtleneck shirt and a nylon windbreaker that zips up to my chin. Result: from my chin down I'm as warm as toast. The cold doesn't touch me at all.

My face, on the other hand, gets so cold that it hurts. Well, no system is perfect. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 damone

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Sorry but its a myth!!...A 100W bulb wouldnt warm your socks never mind a large uninsulated draughty attic..its nonsense and you have just been lucky/your pipes are well covered.

subiedunne speaks sense...listen to him/her!

Marty.[/quote
    i work in the construction biz martyboy and im saying this from personal experience and from endless lunch hour chats with plumbers and other tradesmen of all ages and all trades over the years ,it works ,if you have anthing else other than telling me whether my pipes are insulated when you clearly cudnt know or how lucky i am ,get back to me !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭dvdfan

Now i dont know about you but there is not many reasons i would hang a light over a water tank.

Why, In case the house turned upside down?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭SandStone

Sorry but its a myth!!...A 100W bulb wouldnt warm your socks never mind a large uninsulated draughty attic..its nonsense and you have just been lucky/your pipes are well covered.

Light bulbs radiate heat, so they don't need to warm up the whole attic to have an effect on objects close by. And if you think a 100W bulb wouldn't warm your socks, I'd like to see how long you could hold one while it's on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

gipi wrote: »
    Covering the stopcock has worked for me - water pipes froze twice over Christmas (inc Christmas Day), I read about defrosting the stopcock by pouring warm water around it which worked a treat!

I then moved the pet's wooden kennel over the stopcock (it's close to my back door, in case anyone thinks I'm tripping up the neighbours!!), and despite the temps getting down to -7 last night, water hasn't frozen since I covered it (yeh, I know I'm tempting fate now, aren't I!).

+1 ........... IMO this is a post worth emphasising as it presents a solution to a widespread problem countrywide at the moment.

It might be worth moving the kennel idea a little further on. I would suggest a box over the stopcock hole with a fan heater inside. Cover the box with old carpet etc. When you're finished heating stuff the hole with insulation as well.

Secondly, check for other weak areas eg where the mains pipe enters the house and use a fan heater as well and possibly rig up a box as well. Also cover with insulation - old carpet etc.

Just be careful with electricity out of doors. Suggest you switch the heater on and off from indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Rylan

dvdfan wrote: »

Laughing for the last 10 minutes at that post. Thanks.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 HereSince2003

dvdfan wrote: »

:D

I think that given most people don't have a lamp over the water tank that they will be just "hanging" one over it. People are generally stupid and therein lies the danger :)

I know people are saying it works but I can't see it myself. I know during lambing season we use infrared bulbs to keep "abandoned" lambs warn in mini lamb kennels :)
    http://www.1000bulbs.com/1542/?utm_source=SmartFeedNexTag&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_term=250WattR40RubyRedInfraredHeatLamp120Volt5000Life&utm_content=250WattR40RubyRedInfraredHeatLamp120Volt5000Life&utm_campaign=SmartFeedNexTag&site=www.nextag.com

Personally we have been leaving the heat on at the lowest temp in the house over night. Not looking forward to the next gas bill but no point in freezing ours arses off either.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Gordon wrote: »
    Someone create a thread about cold(snap) tips and I'll announce it.

Actually, forget that, I'll move this thread there. If the mods don't want it here, feel free to move to where you think it's better placed.

there may be a forum with more traffic where more people would see this, weather forum even? No problem with it here though...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Rule 1:
    Don't have insulation under your cold water storage tank in your attic.
    Heat from the house below will keep your tank warm enough to prevent freezing.
    Rule 2:
    Insulate the sides and top of your tank.
    Lag all pipes in the attic, and pipe joints etc. Even lag your overflow pipe.
    No need to leave your attic hatch open if the above is done correctly. Proper pipe insulation is best, especially if the pipes are above the attic insulation.
    Do not tightly wrap glass fibre or rockwool insulation either around the tank or pipes. If this type of insulation is compressed it no longer acts as an insulator.

Most of the energy consumed from a standard 100w light bulb is emitted as heat, not light. A light bulb will increase the temp in your attic and may help to prevent frost. We normally don't notice this heat from standard bulbs as they are at ceiling level.
    An infra-red lamp or bulb emits nearly all energy as heat, and definitely will greatly increase temperature in attic, but you must be careful with these and where you place them, as there is a fire risk if you place them too close to roof felt or some types of insulation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭kebabfest

Some great advice here. If you have a 2nd house that isn't lived in and you cannot get too very often then switch the water off. Also Keep the heat on the timer if you can, especially during the night.
    If your pipes are frozen here then at least they won't flood the place by the time you get back there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

kebabfest wrote: »
    Some great advice here. If you have a 2nd house that isn't lived in and you cannot get too very often then switch the water off. Also Keep the heat on the timer if you can, especially during the night.
    If your pipes are frozen here then at least they won't flood the place by the time you get back there.

thanks, i'll do that to all ten of my houses, what about my castle in de countryside, at tips for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭darraghw

ravima wrote: »
    shower is not working - water inlet pipe to shower is frozen. how can i prevent this happening once water resumes later tomorrow??

Have the same problem, have water in the house just the shower wont work? Anyone have any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

argosy2006 wrote: »
    thanks, i'll do that to all ten of my houses, what about my castle in de countryside, at tips for that?

Whip the servants harder, as they attempt to flee, they'll generate enough heat to keep your draughty ol' castle warm.

On a more serious note - when looking for a shovel yesterday I discovered my water supply goes through the garage - in a pipe that prior to yesterday was not insulated (muppet builders)

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

what is the logic of leaving the attic door open to prevent frozen pipes? I tried it today and it does work but I haven't a clue why? Thanks

• Subscribers Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

detoxkid wrote: »
    what is the logic of leaving the attic door open to prevent frozen pipes? I tried it today and it does work but I haven't a clue why? Thanks

the heat from the house rises easily into attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Bebop

[moved from DIY forum]
    our gas boiler stopped working today, its a Worcester Greenstar condensing gas boiler, I rang 2 numbers from the golden pages but they were not interested,

then I looked up the Worcester web page they had a link to some FAQ's for boiler problems in cold weather..one of the issues with condensing boilers is that they have a condensate water drain from the boiler which normally goes to the nearest drain by plastic pipe, this can freeze and cause the boiler to stop working, even though our pipe was lagged it was indeed frozen, I disconnected the pipe from the boiler and rigged a temporary drain to our kitchen sink,the boiler is working fine now, there is only a slight trickle from the pipe and I will fix a more permanent drain when the cold spell is over.

Its worth checking this if you are having trouble with one of the newer condensing boilers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Lemondrop kid

gman2k wrote: »
    Rule 1:
    Don't have insulation under your cold water storage tank in your attic.
    Heat from the house below will keep your tank warm enough to prevent freezing.
    Rule 2:
    Insulate the sides and top of your tank.
    Lag all pipes in the attic, and pipe joints etc. Even lag your overflow pipe.
    No need to leave your attic hatch open if the above is done correctly. Proper pipe insulation is best, especially if the pipes are above the attic insulation.
    Do not tightly wrap glass fibre or rockwool insulation either around the tank or pipes. If this type of insulation is compressed it no longer acts as an insulator.

Most of the energy consumed from a standard 100w light bulb is emitted as heat, not light. A light bulb will increase the temp in your attic and may help to prevent frost. We normally don't notice this heat from standard bulbs as they are at ceiling level.
    An infra-red lamp or bulb emits nearly all energy as heat, and definitely will greatly increase temperature in attic, but you must be careful with these and where you place them, as there is a fire risk if you place them too close to roof felt or some types of insulation.

At last an informed voice (sounds like it anyway...)
    Q. My pipes are frozen outside (feed pipe underground)
    1/ Anything i can do bout that?
    2/ Is it best to conserve the water tank water as it may be all i have, by closing off the upstairs dripping tap, or might this action increase the risk of frozen pipes upstairs?
    PS Does an electric shower run off the water from attic tank or from mains? (I'm guessing tank)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭iamskippy

Nahh leave the attic door in most modern houses open and half the house will catch pnuemonia.

An easier solution would be to run a 100w bulb up through a hole in the door. Yes this does work...and leave your down stairs tap on a very slow drip. If you are really over concerned.
    why the downstairs tap?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

subiedunne speaks sense...listen to him/her!

Marty.

Please marty. Dont talk nonsence.

Put your hand on a 100 watt bulb when its on and tell me theres no heat from it.

Its not about "warming" your attic, its about placing a bulb in your attic near pipes that need to be kept from freezing, a mere degree or more in incresed overall heat of that area will prevent hard freezing.

Its no myth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

iamskippy wrote: »
    why the downstairs tap?

By "downstairs tap" I believe the contributor was referring to the incoming tap from the mains (in the kitchen, normally). Leaving this running reduces the chances of the water from the mains freezing (because running water less likely to freeze as it passes through the cold spots on your domestic connection).

Leaving an upstairs tap would also draw water from the mains, but in batches only as the tank fills from the mains only when the level falls low enough to open the ballcock valve. The unsteady flow of water increases the chances of freezing, and the noise of the tank filling every few minutes may interrupt your sleep.

But running taps wastes a scarce resource, and we might all be left without water if everyone did this. Worse again if your drains freeze the running tap may flood your house quietly while you sleep.

Check your mains supply pipes for exposed sections. These are typically around the stopcock, or the pipes near your sink (inside or out). If you have exposed pipework outside then insulate them with a non-absorbent insulating material (like packing foam). If you have exposed pipework inside the house make sure the area doesn't get too cold.

Re opening the attic door.... this will stop the incoming pipe to your tank freezing but at the expense of making your house cold. Insulating the pipes is a better option. In the short term if you can't get insulation for this right now, the 100W light bulb, placed near to the pipes, should be sufficient to avoid freezing temperatures there, but don't let anything cover the bulb, and don't leave the bulb near anything which could melt or catch fire.

Remember it's the PIPES which you are worried about, not the TANK. It will be a cold month in hell before the tank can freeze. Also a frozen tank will recover without doing damage, but a frozen pipe is very likely to burst as the water expands below 4 degrees centigrade.

Stay warm and dry this winter,

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Richiecats

Use hot water bottle if frozen, as been said be a light bulb is for light, if they were that great for heating we would not have rads and could stop using the fire.

PS Does an electric shower run off the water from attic tank or from mains? (I'm guessing tank)

There's two ways of connecting these devices, so it could be fed from either the mains or the tank. The most common way is to connect it from the tank.

Re "outdoor" pipes frozen... check that it's not just the last few feet indoors that's doing the damage.... try using a hairdryer on the pipes near the sink.

Cheers,

2/ Is it best to conserve the water tank water as it may be all i have, by closing off the upstairs dripping tap, or might this action increase the risk of frozen pipes upstairs?

Conserve your water, don't run it out through your taps. If the blockage is outside then running your water will not help, not even slightly. You may be able to survive on bottled water, but you'll be wanting to flush the toilet!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

iamskippy wrote: »
    why the downstairs tap?
    Zen65 wrote: »
    By "downstairs tap" I believe the contributor was referring to the incoming tap from the mains (in the kitchen, normally). Leaving this running reduces the chances of the water from the mains freezing (because running water less likely to freeze as it passes through the cold spots on your domestic connection).

Leaving an upstairs tap would also draw water from the mains, but in batches only as the tank fills from the mains only when the level falls low enough to open the ballcock valve. The unsteady flow of water increases the chances of freezing, and the noise of the tank filling every few minutes may interrupt your sleep.

But running taps wastes a scarce resource, and we might all be left without water if everyone did this. Worse again if your drains freeze the running tap may flood your house quietly while you sleep.

Check your mains supply pipes for exposed sections. These are typically around the stopcock, or the pipes near your sink (inside or out). If you have exposed pipework outside then insulate them with a non-absorbent insulating material (like packing foam). If you have exposed pipework inside the house make sure the area doesn't get too cold.

Re opening the attic door.... this will stop the incoming pipe to your tank freezing but at the expense of making your house cold. Insulating the pipes is a better option. In the short term if you can't get insulation for this right now, the 100W light bulb, placed near to the pipes, should be sufficient to avoid freezing temperatures there, but don't let anything cover the bulb, and don't leave the bulb near anything which could melt or catch fire.

Remember it's the PIPES which you are worried about, not the TANK. It will be a cold month in hell before the tank can freeze. Also a frozen tank will recover without doing damage, but a frozen pipe is very likely to burst as the water expands below 4 degrees centigrade.

Stay warm and dry this winter,

No i was not talking about the mains. I was refering to the downstairs bathroom tap which if plumbed correctly takes its feed from the attic tank.

Why?

Because this is the lowest point on the plumbing system from the attic its its also the furthest point the water has to travel through the house.The tank in the attic may also recover but the joints of the fittings may not.

and for the second part folks I also said I did not rec it but if it means the difference between you and your sleep tonight I would rather leave the water running.

The only real contrabution I gave was to say

Do not leave the attic door open. Especially on modern houses where the facia boards are not sealed as this will cause pnuemonia in the house

Use a 100w light bulb to take the chill out of the attic.

again for those that wont read my post. I dont condone leaving taps running.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You hadly expect someone to answer your question with that kind of opening do you;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭anigheh

I'm looking for some help so far our water supply has not frozen but our waste pipe from the bath seems to be frozen we tried the hairdryer trick as there is only a couple of feet of exposed pipe outside before it feeds to the other pipes that take waste from the bathroom, with no success any help or ideas out there????:confused:

Advertisement