Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone c Hotel Rwanda? Watch out 4 Coach Carter

Options
  • 09-03-2005 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭

Thinking of going to cinema, Hotel Rwanda is only good looking film in at the mo. Anyone recomend it?

Coach Carter is a new inspirational film, just out in US, about a school basketball team's unbeaten run is ended as their coach forfeits all games in 2 weeks and locks the gym so they can improve academic results, and the parents/communities response.
    It's a good one to watch for parents whose kids education is suffering because they are concentrating on their dreams to play proffesional sport.

Stars Samuel L. Jackson

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I've heard some great things about this film. Definatley on my must see list.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0395169/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I saw Coach Carter and enjoyed it - nothing amazing, but an interesting story and some decent acting from modern Shaft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Coach Carter's supposed to suck, Hotel rwanda is really good. According to The Ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Coach Carter is good.
    True story film with a feel good factor.
    I really enjoyed it.
    Its an MTV film so the music is good. :)
    I'd give it a solid 3/5

If Jackson wasn't in it, it'd be pants though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭ionapaul

The Ticket can be hit-or-miss with their reviews, IMHO, and in particular the reviewers are HORRIBLY biased towards Irish films - check out the review of In America, Intermission and all recent Irish films. There is nothing worse that being warned off a film by a review, only to see it later on DVD / TV and find out you gave too much credence to the reviewer. I do find that using Yahoo movies to see a composite grade (using many of America's top film reviewers) is by-and-large a good guide.

That said, think of the glowing reviews for Titanic!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭voltamadan

www.rottentomatoes.com is a very good review site. The Ticket rules. I love reading Donald Clarkes reviews of real terrible movies. he's a pretty funny guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

voltamadan wrote:
    The Ticket rules. I love reading Donald Clarkes reviews of real terrible movies. he's a pretty funny guy.

is that you Donald ?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

voltamadan wrote:
    I love reading Donald Clarkes reviews of real terrible movies. he's a pretty funny guy.
    Ahh, I'm not the only one to think that then :D I almost hope he hates the movie just so I can see him insult it. He seems to have the most fun then - think of "De-Lovely"'s review, where he did the whole thing in a song form.

I generally agree with Clarke's reviews as well (maybe not Dwyers). When he covered his top movies of 2004, he picked nearly the exact same ones as I did. As a result, I make sure to have a read of 'The Ticket' every week.

Advertisement