Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

True Detective [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭FootShooter

That 6 minutes single shot at the end has got to be the most impressive scene ever in TV history. Holy ****.

The scene:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7XFZmE3ZMo

How they made it:
    www.mtv.com/news/articles/1722001/true-detective-long-take.jhtml

The episode has an impressive 9.9 rating on IMDb right now.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2790174/

This show is with no doubt the best on television at the moment and can easily compete with shows like Breaking Bad and The Wire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

I have seen one shoters before....X Files, movies etc. - but they have edit points that seem seemless.

But the story below says its a trye one shot with no edits, so kudos.

That 6 minutes single shot at the end has got to be the most impressive scene ever in TV history. Holy ****.

The scene:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7XFZmE3ZMo

How they made it:
    www.mtv.com/news/articles/1722001/true-detective-long-take.jhtml

The episode has an impressive 9.9 rating on IMDb right now.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2790174/

This show is with no doubt the best on television at the moment and can easily compete with shows like Breaking Bad and The Wire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Amazing stuff. The whole final sequence was really quite incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Brilliant ! The tension on the final 10-15 minutes was amazing.

McConaughy is on another level in this.

Agree with Grimebox, he's totally turned his career around in terms of what he could do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

What happened with the gas mask guy at the end of the last episode? That was just a teaser?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Grimebox wrote: »
    What happened with the gas mask guy at the end of the last episode? That was just a teaser?

Think that's the guy they're looking for, the biker gang's cook, Reggie Ledoux.

Amazing episode, going to be one amazing watch when the season is done and can binge on it in one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Was finding it hard to get into this series before this episode. Wasn't a big fan of the switching from past to present and narrating through those interviews and Rust's ramblings on life but thought this episode was fantastic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Is anyone else only aware of 50% of whats going on but loving it anyway?

:pac:

Or am I alone there?

I think I need to read some episode Wikis on this show as it seems so layered at times. Still though, a superb last 10 minutes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Is anyone else only aware of 50% of whats going on but loving it anyway?

:pac:

Or am I alone there?

I think I need to read some episode Wikis on this show as it seems so layered at times. Still though, a superb last 10 minutes!

I usually go back if I miss a bit. I have done a bit of pause+google if I didn't understand a reference. I am hanging on their every word in this. Its quite dense like any other HBO show. Love it

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Very good episode with phenomenal ending. It was the sort of thing most Hollywood movies couldn't even do - the seamless piece where everything goes to crap in the house and taking him through the suburbs. Not sure who is doing the music for this but they're doing a fantastic job. Really edges up the tension.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Ep 4 amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Tonight was a double bill of The Walking Dead and True Detective for meself and the GF. We put on The Walking Dead first because we're losing interest in it and the episode would seem even shìttier after watching this.

Fùck, that was a good idea. Amazing episode, it shifted gear in the 2nd half and then went into overdrive at the last 10 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Tonight was a double bill of The Walking Dead and True Detective for meself and the GF. We put on The Walking Dead first because we're losing interest in it and the episode would seem even shìttier after watching this.

Fùck, that was a good idea. Amazing episode, it shifted gear in the 2nd half and then went into overdrive at the last 10 minutes.

are you my wife - we did exactly the same thing, for mostly the same reason :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

wow what an ending. TV at its finest. also i was in stitches of laughter at the first scene with Cole saying how he felt your man in prisons pain listening to the ramblings of a mad man every day :D the chemistry between Cole and woody its brilliant fantastic acting

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

That whole ending sequence was pretty ambitious and really paid off. Fair play to all involved to make it go so perfectly.

For some reason, listening to the opening theme, I can picture them doing a The Wire on it and having a different artist perform it each season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

The show is trending in the top ten on Twitter.

In Ireland! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Wow :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Just amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Another great line, when Hart was opening up to Cohle about his failed marriage:

"Let me tell ya something... This is none of my ****ing business"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

ricero wrote: »
    wow what an ending. TV at its finest. also i was in stitches of laughter at the first scene with Cole saying how he felt your man in prisons pain listening to the ramblings of a mad man every day :Dthe chemistry between Cole and Rust its brilliant fantastic acting
    Well that's not much of a surprise seeing as they're the same person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

The show’s fragmented scenes are discussed a bit in this article, along with the style of writing and directing that is relatively unique to a modern TV drama, apparently..
    Obviously the shot at the end of E3 was just to tease the introduction of Reggie Ledoux, I hope we meet him soon

http://www.forbes.com/sites/allenstjohn/2014/01/13/how-hbos-true-detective-will-change-the-way-you-watch-television/

As for people over-analysing the show, or any show, each to their own but what’s the point of this thread if everyone just comes in and said “Great show, thumbs up from me”

And again, different strokes for different folks, but after four hours, Russ Cohl is already one of the best TV characters I’ve ever seen.
    We’ve seen mean and moody before, we’ve seen cops with dark pasts before, but the bluntness of McConaughey’s delivery is hilarious, like his response to Charlie Lang while leaving the cell, about whether he caused Dora’s death.
    Some of his little negative monologues on life are brilliant, even without the reaction from Hart, I don’t find them tiresome at all. Harrelson is playing one of the best roles of his career, but he’s made to look like a sidekick out of Lethal Weapon at times in this due to the levels of crazy McConaughey can achieve.
    And the back story of the four years undercover, the effect that has on him, coupled with the state of him in 2012, is done brilliantly.

To compare, do people actually remember how crap the majority of TV characters were, even 15 years ago…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Cina wrote: »
    Well that's not much of a surprise seeing as they're the same person.

Haha my bad but you know what I mean. Woody is the man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

cant wait for it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

ricero wrote: »
    Haha my bad but you know what I mean. Woody is the man

In fairness, I must've read 3 or 4 reviews of the episode where the author got the 2 character names wrong. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

it was all for naught though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Another great line, when Hart was opening up to Cohle about his failed marriage:

"Let me tell ya something... This is none of my ****ing business"

and I dont wanna hear about it :)

Brilliance

In fairness the final 6 minutes of that episode are unbelievable televisiion from a technical point of view, excellently choreographed and executed

Agree with Grimebox, he's totally turned his career around in terms of what he could do.

With him, the talent has always been there, you can see it in some of his early work. For whatever reason he just kept taking horrible roles in awful films, maybe they were paying the most money and now he is at a stage of his career when he wants to think about his legacy and do projects he actually cares about and can get stuck into on an artistic level

Sort of like the opposite of Johnny Depps career arc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

kryogen wrote: »
    Sort of like the opposite of Johnny Depps career arc!

And he's not an overgrown hipster!

Hipster?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,699 ✭✭✭Nuts102

Have a look at an old film A Time to Kill if you get a chance. It is a fantastic film in which he was very very good.

Advertisement